US to start full diplomatic talks with Cuba, open embassy

StrangeSox

The Associated Press @AP

Follow

BREAKING: US officials: US to start talks with Cuba to normalize full diplomatic relations, open embassy.

8:43 AM - 17 Dec 2014

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7f7f6bba9d9...oner-alan-gross

WASHINGTON (AP) — American officials say the U.S. and Cuba will start talks to normalize full diplomatic relations as part of the most significant shift in U.S. policy toward the communist island in decades.

Officials say the U.S. is also looking to open an embassy in Havana in the coming months. The moves are part of an agreement between the U.S. and Cuba that also includes the release of American Alan Gross and three Cubans jailed in Florida for spying.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, said the agreement includes normalizing banking and trade ties with Cuba.

That's a pretty significant foreign policy development.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
I've always wanted to visit Cuba, now I need to make it happen ASAP. Once the American business interests get down there , I imagine it becoming a corporate tourist trap, losing most of its culture and charm quickly.

The quickest way to ruin it, Americanize it.

what will actually change:

The United States will also ease travel restrictions across all 12 categories currently envisioned under limited circumstances in American law, including family visits, official visits, journalistic, professional, educational and religious activities, and public performances, officials said. Ordinary tourism, however, will remain prohibited.

Mr. Obama will also allow greater banking ties and raise the level of remittances allowed to be sent to Cuban nationals to $2,000 every three months from the current limit of $500. Intermediaries forwarding remittances will no longer require a specific license from the government. American travelers will also be allowed to import up to $400 worth of goods from Cuba, including up to $100 in tobacco and alcohol products.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 06:40 AM)
Pretty amazing news to see walking down an airport terminal in flordia. I was like... "Um... So I gurss I could go to Cuba now."

I believe I read that there still will not be direct flights allowed any time soon.