Non-Roster Invites

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Let's get grindy... right guys?

MLB Transactionist ‏@MLBTransactions 10m10 minutes ago Chicago, IL

OAKLAND ATHLETICS: Released infielder Nick Punto. http://j.mp/1zG3Nnc

Please no... 37 years old and a batting average barely above the Mendoza line, he's done. I'd rather let L. Garcia play than him.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
If LaRoche goes down, he's a DH, wouldn't want Andy Wilkins DHing for me in a trillion years

You're right, JB Shuck, Matt Davidson, and Jordan Danks are much better options.

Unless the Sox bring in someone that represents depth like that, Wilkins isn't going anywhere. The guy tore the absolute cover off the ball in AAA last year. He's good insurance to have in the event of an emergency.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
You're right, JB Shuck, Matt Davidson, and Jordan Danks are much better options.

Unless the Sox bring in someone that represents depth like that, Wilkins isn't going anywhere. The guy tore the absolute cover off the ball in AAA last year. He's good insurance to have in the event of an emergency.

He was absolutely atrocious in the MLB. He struck out almost 50% of his plate appearances. He has no place on a MLB roster. I'm the eternal optimist about players being able to improve and progress but not from someone that bad.

With him it's that classic saying "if he gets any at bats, something went seriously wrong and it was an awful season."

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
He was absolutely atrocious in the MLB. He struck out almost 50% of his plate appearances. He has no place on a MLB roster. I'm the eternal optimist about players being able to improve and progress but not from someone that bad.

With him it's that classic saying "if he gets any at bats, something went seriously wrong and it was an awful season."

To me he looked like a guy who didn't believe he was a major leaguer.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)

While I don't disagree with the latter, you are making a pretty quick judgment based on 45 plate appearances. Personlly, I thought his swing looked long but it also looked like his timing was off as he was behind everything. It can take some time to get that down.

I don't disagree with the last part, and I don't want Andy Wilkins getting significant at bats at all, but given the choice between Wilkins or Shuck if LaRoche were to go down for a short period of time, I'd rather take my chances on the guy who went bonkers in AAA last year than a guy who is a career .264/.307/.333/.640 hitter who was barely better than league average in the PCL last year. Wilkins seems to be a guy who can at least run into one or two.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
While I don't disagree with the latter, you are making a pretty quick judgment based on 45 plate appearances. Personlly, I thought his swing looked long but it also looked like his timing was off as he was behind everything. It can take some time to get that down.

I don't disagree with the last part, and I don't want Andy Wilkins getting significant at bats at all, but given the choice between Wilkins or Shuck if LaRoche were to go down for a short period of time, I'd rather take my chances on the guy who went bonkers in AAA last year than a guy who is a career .264/.307/.333/.640 hitter who was barely better than league average in the PCL last year. Wilkins seems to be a guy who can at least run into one or two.

I am making a quick judgement. I usually am the positive one with giving players a chance but he wasn't just bad he had no chance ar the plate. I would rather give someone else a chance, Black or anyone. Wilkins at bats would not help anyone.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
I am making a quick judgement. I usually am the positive one with giving players a chance but he wasn't just bad he had no chance ar the plate. I would rather give someone else a chance, Black or anyone. Wilkins at bats would not help anyone.

1. While I don't think Wilkins is a major league starter, I also think you can't go by a single September call-up to make a real call.

2. I think people are misunderstanding what minor league backup depth is. No one is getting a really good bat to be a 1B/DH in the minors waiting for an injury. If they are good enough, they have a job elsewhere. So this isn't a question of whether or not Wilkins is good, or Black is good. It is a question of who you think is better that would be willing to just sit in Charlotte all year on the 10% chance someone gets hurt. Because that guy is one of two things - a legitimate prospect (who is expensive to acquire and who you are now blocking), or an Andy Wilkins or Dan Black kinda guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
1. While I don't think Wilkins is a major league starter, I also think you can't go by a single September call-up to make a real call.

2. I think people are misunderstanding what minor league backup depth is. No one is getting a really good bat to be a 1B/DH in the minors waiting for an injury. If they are good enough, they have a job elsewhere. So this isn't a question of whether or not Wilkins is good, or Black is good. It is a question of who you think is better that would be willing to just sit in Charlotte all year on the 10% chance someone gets hurt. Because that guy is one of two things - a legitimate prospect (who is expensive to acquire and who you are now blocking), or an Andy Wilkins or Dan Black kinda guy.

I'd rather move on from Wilkins but in all honestly who gives a s***. Any scenario where Laroche and Abreu are both out is a disaster anyway. As you said, no team has a 2 WAR 1B they stash in AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)

I understand what you are saying. Believe me I've spent my time with these players. However, I go back to my original point., from what I saw Wilikins is not the guy even for this role. I'm not expecting this type of player to contribute much but he was lost and didn't have a clue. Again, he struck out in almost half his at bats. There are plenty of minor league fillers that I woild rather give at bats to.

Edited by ptatc

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Matt Eddy

‏@MattEddyBA

#WhiteSox sign RH power hitters 3B Andy LaRoche and 1B Chris Jacobs to minors deals, re-sign OF Michael Taylor http://bit.ly/1I8uhBI

Could see LaRoche maybe winning a bench job to back up the infield and platoon with Gillaspie if Bonifacio has to play center for a period of time.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
Could see LaRoche maybe winning a bench job to back up the infield and platoon with Gillaspie if Bonifacio has to play center for a period of time.

I think they're planning for depth at Charlotte as much to keep Charlotte able to win and sell ticket as to have people to call up to the bigs. Semien is traded, Micah and Sanchez might both be in the bigs, Saladino might see the big leagues at some point this year, they genuinely need some extra bodies at Charlotte in the middle infield.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
I really doubt that. It was probably a good will move because he is Adam's brother. The guy barely hits in the minors now.

i think so too. it helps with bodies and is a goodwill as you said.

but that is JR's MO.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 11, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
Yes.

what? I have to strongly disagree. Taylor messed up at least once while I was watching, but overall he's actually a pretty good outfield defender. That's part of why they picked him up. He is basically replacing Jordan Danks, which means the 5th outfielder and mostly in Charlotte.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
what? I have to strongly disagree. Taylor messed up at least once while I was watching, but overall he's actually a pretty good outfield defender. That's part of why they picked him up. He is basically replacing Jordan Danks, which means the 5th outfielder and mostly in Charlotte.

Well, I am going by the eye test, which was admittedly a small sample size. But he looked like a big lumbering linebacker out there. I certainly would want him no where near the SOX roster.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Well, I am going by the eye test, which was admittedly a small sample size. But he looked like a big lumbering linebacker out there. I certainly would want him no where near the SOX roster.

A big lumbering linebacker is a hell of a lot better than a clueless marshmallow. Viciedo, over the last two years, has morphed into one of the worst defensive outfielders I've seen. He was fairly competent from what I saw in 2012, but it's been borderline disastrous since.