memories of the 2005 World Series

sross1800

Hi there! :) My name's Sean! :) I'm 23 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I'm a die hard St. Louis Cardinals fan, but since next year will be the 10th anniversary of the Chicago White Sox's 2005 World Series Championship, what memories do you have from the 2005 World Series, with manager Ozzie Guillén, and players like Frank Thomas (even though he wasn't on the post-season roster because of injury, but he did throw out the ceremonial first pitch in Game 1 of the 2005 ALDS against the Red Sox), Jermaine Dye, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy García, José Contreras, Bobby Jenks, Joe Crede, A.J. Pierzynski, Juan Uribe, Carl Everett, Scott Podsednik, Neal Cotts, Paul Konerko, Tadahito Iguchi, Dámaso Marte, Geoff Blum, Aaron Rowand, Dustin Hermanson, Chris Widger, Willie Harris, and Cliff Politte? :) Because I told my grandparents that even though like I said I'm a die hard St. Louis Cardinals fan, but if me and my grandparents (who I've been living with since I was 4 months old) were living on the North Side of Chicago, I'd rather be a White Sox fan than a Cubs fan, LOL! :)

Thanks! :)

Sean

It was awesome.

You have to consider that unlike St. Louis, which has won multiple pennants and WS Championships in your lifetime, this was the first WS in Chicago since 1959, and the first championship since 1917.

It was a really big deal, and in some ways cause for relief as much as celebration.

AJ takes first base on a "dropped-third strike"...ALCS Game 2, upper-deck left field. i remember thinking we have this game. then, Crede gets a base hit for the go-ahead run.

the whole upper-deck was shaking.

what a great team and a great year of baseball in this town. that year i must have gone to 10+ games. i'm hoping this year i have reason to do the same.

Geoff. Blum.

So on July 31, 2005, I was living in the DC area and of course went to the Sox-Orioles game. Remember asking a Sox fan if they heard about any Sox trade deadline deals and he said the Sox traded for Geoff Blum. I remember saying (very sarcastically) "Geoff Blum? Well, that's it, that's the move that will put the Sox over the top."

Welcome aboard Sean. All I'm going to say is that everything about 2005 was incredible. The blistering start, the late season struggles (where Cleveland started to get very close), Joe Crede with his clutch hit late in that season to help get us back on track and than the playoff run which was just incredible (I got to see all 3 games in Anaheim, including the game we won that clinched the AL Pennant). Truly phenomenal. My biggest memories were Paulie's grand slam to get us back in the game and than Pods with his eventual HR to win it, Blum and his late inning heroics, big bad Bobby Jenks (who while he had a blown save in the series, IIRC...the game where Pods won it for us), Uribe (who made 2 sweet plays in that 9th inning of the final game), Dye (MVP) and pitching, pitching and more pitching.

Oh and who can forgot the spark that changed the playoffs for us, AJP reaching first on the ball in the dirt (or was it in the dirt) followed up by Crede delivering a huge hit. Had that not happened, we go down 2-0 heading to Anaheim who is hosting next 3. Totally different series. Instead we win the game, win the next three in Anaheim, and end up having a run of 4 consecutive complete games pitched by our starters. Total team effort!

I'd have to go back 10 years to find it on here but I wrote a heartfelt piece about winning the pennant in Anaheim and/or /maybe winning the WS. The drizzle during the last game in ANaheim representing the tears of all the Sox fans who never got to witness something like that or some crap like that. I had to write it because we all get so used to so many years of losing that it's a huge joyous occasion when we know we're not going to die never having witnessed how wonderful winning actually is.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I was only 6 years old when that season (I turned 7 they day after they won it all; what a birthday gift), but man, what an absolutely amazing season. Here are some moments that stuck out for me.

1. El Duque's dominant relief appearance in the ALDS. That's one of the best relief outings I've ever seen.

2. When the ground ball went through Graffinino's legs setting up the Iguchi homer. Wow.

3. The dropped 3rd strike in the ALCS. A.J. had amazing awareness to run that one out.

4. The dominant string of complete games in the ALCS. That level of dominance by an entire rotation will never happen again.

5. Konerko's grand slam in the WS. I get chills thinking about it. Absolutely incredible.

6. Scotty Pods walk off later that game. That was amazing.

7. The 14 inning marathon in game 3 and Blums homer in the 14th. Not to mention Buehrle closing it out. That was awesome.

8. Uribe diving in the stands making that incredible catch. One of the best catches ever IMO.

I had a ton of amazing memories from that list. Thanks for making this thread. :D

Edited by Mike F.

The BIG memorable moments have already been brought up but I remember a bunch of odd snippets of that entire post-season.

Driving home from work listening to the El Duque inning in the ALDS on the radio. I was literally holding my breath on every single pitch. I got home in time to see the final out on TV and realized that it was the first post-season series the Sox had won since 1917.

I remember in game 4 of the ALCS hoping that Konerko would put the Sox up 3-0 in the first inning two games in a row. He did.

I remember being surprised at how bad Vlad Guerro was during the ALCS.

I remember missing most of Game 1 of the World Series because my family took me out for dinner for my birthday. We went to a Chili’s and I kept wandering over to check the score on the TV they had by the bar. Then we went to see a movie and I didn’t get to hear the final outcome until it was all over.

I remember watching Game 3 in my bedroom and punching a hole in my wall when the Astros tied it up in the 9th. I ended up staying up and watching the entire game. There were a few points where I didn’t care who won, I just wanted it to end.

I remember being in my living room when the final out was made and the Sox were World Series Champions. I texted my friend who was working and is also a Cubs fan. When I talked to him later he said his phone lit up like a Christmas Tree with all the people texting him.

I remember running on fumes for about 5 weeks--from the Crede walkoff against the Indians to the last out of the World Series.

I think my favorite moment was the last out of the ALCS- the moment you realize that our generally lowly White Sox were actually going to play in the World Series.

QUOTE (sross1800 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Hi there! :) My name's Sean! :) I'm 23 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I'm a die hard St. Louis Cardinals fan, but since next year will be the 10th anniversary of the Chicago White Sox's 2005 World Series Championship, what memories do you have from the 2005 World Series, with manager Ozzie Guillén, and players like Frank Thomas (even though he wasn't on the post-season roster because of injury, but he did throw out the ceremonial first pitch in Game 1 of the 2005 ALDS against the Red Sox), Jermaine Dye, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy García, José Contreras, Bobby Jenks, Joe Crede, A.J. Pierzynski, Juan Uribe, Carl Everett, Scott Podsednik, Neal Cotts, Paul Konerko, Tadahito Iguchi, Dámaso Marte, Geoff Blum, Aaron Rowand, Dustin Hermanson, Chris Widger, Willie Harris, and Cliff Politte? :) Because I told my grandparents that even though like I said I'm a die hard St. Louis Cardinals fan, but if me and my grandparents (who I've been living with since I was 4 months old) were living on the North Side of Chicago, I'd rather be a White Sox fan than a Cubs fan, LOL! :)

Thanks! :)

Sean

Welcome aboard, bud! My dad's a die-hard Cardinals' fan, so I do a lot of cross-rooting. I hope you stick around!

Someone started a thread called Sox Haikus, which inspired me to write a few during the 2005 run.

Ya gotta believe

In this torrid White Sox team

To go all the way!

Great Ozzie man say

Pitching and defense is way

To World Series play

Lee for Podsednik?

Add AJ and El Duque

Play Ozzie ball. Win!

Little Boat afloat

Sailing on to yonder shore

Where White Sox are Champs

Kenny man, he say

Power ball is not the way

Go-go Sox are best

Garland, Buehrle pitch

Fifteen and one and counting

Sox duo kick a$$!

Big Frank coming back

Adds thunder to Sox attack

Best team gets better

Nineteen seventeen?

White Sox fans can't wait to see

Champs at Comiskey

Thirty-fifth and Shields

U.S. Cellular team fields

Baseball's supreme team

U.S. Cellular,

Not Wrigley Field, is home to

Chicago's best team

McCarthy's the man

Filling in for El Duque

To mow the Cubs down

Brandon McCarthy

Six-seven pitching demon

Will keep Sox humming

All the way this year

Eighty-eight year jinx over

White Sox are World Champs

Bosox won last year

Now it's time for the ChiSox

To wear Series crown

Podsednik leads off

Turning speed into Sox runs

Sparkplug of the team

Iguchi bats next

Veteran Japanese star

Plays like Zen master

Batting Rowand third

Jump starts young center fielder

To twelve game hit streak

Konerko cleans up

Leads Sox in walks and home runs

Starting to get hot

Pierzynski hits fifth

Lefty catcher has quick bat

Veteran leader

Jermaine Dye hits sixth

Started below Mendoza

Now he’s rising fast

Everett comes next

Switch hitter loves to crowd plate

Ready for clutch hit

Joe Crede hits eighth

Finally learning patience

Pays off for hitters

Uribe hits last

Fiery shortstop helps Sox

Stabilize infield

Don’t fret White Sox fans

This team is primed to win

Into October

• 2 weeks later...

Me feeling confident that the late season skid was exactly what the team needed for the playoff run.

A call from a soxtalk regular after the final game. Being in Texas meant I couldn't call any of my local friends, they owned too much Astro gear.