Web hosting/subdirectory tech support issue

Steve9347

I assume there's a handful of you guys who could help me with this - I trust this board moreso than Stack Overflow so I'll try here first:

Here's the long issue, someone helping me would be VERY appreciated. I'm taking over marketing for a company that has a terrible website that's tied into a ton of things they do making the location of its hosting mission critical.

The site is on IIS, which means installing WordPress at companyname.com/blog will present nothing but issues. What I would like to do is purchase external hosting, install WordPress, get the blog going etc, and then "point" companyname.com/blog to this external hosting.

Here's the kicker, it has to still look as if it's at companyname.com/blog the entire time. So if there's a blog post, it has to be at companyname.com/blog/this-is-my-blog-post.

I figured this would be fairly simple, some sort of masking or something, but I cannot find any answers, tech help on the hosting side doesn't seem to understand the request. Obviously, if I could install WordPress on IIS with confidence, this wouldn't be an issue, but apparently it'll run like crap.

Has anyone seen this before or does anyone have any idea how this can be achieved. I really just need companyname.com/blog to show the contents of publicly visible web hosting but be a part of the wesite.

Oh, and a subdomain is out of the question, because research shows it has way less of an affect on SEO than having the blog in a subdirectory.

Thanks so much to the superhero who has an answer for me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
I assume there's a handful of you guys who could help me with this - I trust this board moreso than Stack Overflow so I'll try here first:

Here's the long issue, someone helping me would be VERY appreciated. I'm taking over marketing for a company that has a terrible website that's tied into a ton of things they do making the location of its hosting mission critical.

The site is on IIS, which means installing WordPress at companyname.com/blog will present nothing but issues. What I would like to do is purchase external hosting, install WordPress, get the blog going etc, and then "point" companyname.com/blog to this external hosting.

Here's the kicker, it has to still look as if it's at companyname.com/blog the entire time. So if there's a blog post, it has to be at companyname.com/blog/this-is-my-blog-post.

I figured this would be fairly simple, some sort of masking or something, but I cannot find any answers, tech help on the hosting side doesn't seem to understand the request. Obviously, if I could install WordPress on IIS with confidence, this wouldn't be an issue, but apparently it'll run like crap.

Has anyone seen this before or does anyone have any idea how this can be achieved. I really just need companyname.com/blog to show the contents of publicly visible web hosting but be a part of the wesite.

Oh, and a subdomain is out of the question, because research shows it has way less of an affect on SEO than having the blog in a subdirectory.

Thanks so much to the superhero who has an answer for me.

Usually this is done through DNS with an alias or cname.