speaking of Hahn

Douglas Rome

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he sucks because of his personality, he's half dead. His post game

interviews are boring and every other word is "you know". I hate to

compare to the Cubs, but in the manager department the Sox lose.

Ozzie was a personality and never boring, I'm 68yrs old been a sox

fan my whole life and the Ozzie years were the best because the manager

made it interesting and entertaining. The Cubs have had a lot of personalities,

Leo, Don, Lou, Lee, and a couple more I can't think of right now. Hahn

has made some great player moves this year, it was time to move on with

the manager. a couple guys were available, the guy who manages the Indians

and the guy who managed the Rays, and even the guy who managed the

Twinkies. thanks, douglas

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
he sucks because of his personality, he's half dead. His post game

interviews are boring and every other word is "you know". I hate to

compare to the Cubs, but in the manager department the Sox lose.

Ozzie was a personality and never boring, I'm 68yrs old been a sox

fan my whole life and the Ozzie years were the best because the manager

made it interesting and entertaining. The Cubs have had a lot of personalities,

Leo, Don, Lou, Lee, and a couple more I can't think of right now. Hahn

has made some great player moves this year, it was time to move on with

the manager. a couple guys were available, the guy who manages the Indians

and the guy who managed the Rays, and even the guy who managed the

Twinkies. thanks, douglas

so he is not what one would call a verbose speaker. he is a person whose

job is to manage the team. he was not signed to be a game show host. i

would gladly have a whole team who plays hard for him and win than to

have a team whose manager is trying to compete with the players for tv

time.

Ugh. It isn't about personality. By the end, Ozzie had lost the team because no one cared to play in his reindeer games anymore. Instead of worrying about his team, he was too busy getting his next contract. And I know time has dulled this one, but Ozzie wasn't exactly baseball strategy mensa.

EDIT: I know you are new here and all, but this is a pretty intelligent site all and all. If you want to talk about firing a manager in your first post here, you had better come ready to carry some weight as to why.

We already have some of the same posters mentioning the weaknesses of this team in one post, mentioning that any White Sox failure this season is on Ventura in another.

Blame the managers all you want. The reality is, you have to be careful what you wish for. Just about every fanbase is unhappy with their manager if they have crappy players. Joe Maddon actually took a lot of grief in Tampa. It's the players that make the difference. All the Cubs managers that were mentioned, have finished in last place at some time. Even Maddon has finished in last place. If you don't have the horses, you can't win.

Robin may screw up and need to be fired. It was interesting that advanced stats said he used his bullpen better than most in 2014. I would have thought, reading gamethreads, anyone in the world was doing a better job.

All the criticism about his personality is ridiculous. By all accounts, the people who know him don't find him boring at all. I am more concerned about what happens the 3 1/2 hours prior to the postgame press conference, than the answers to the same questions after that time is up.

Especially in baseball, where the manager controls so little compared to the other major American sports, the primary goal of a manager is to keep every player on even-keeled while being respected. He also has to not screw up, which is more difficult than people realize. Given what Ventura's had over the last 2 years, I think he's done OK. Every manager has his faults, but it seems to me the guys are still playing hard for him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
I'll go with troll as well. Anyone that is 68 years old and thinks Ventura and aj are the problems/answers well.....

im just pointing out that its funny that a guy who likes to mimic greg calling out someone else trolling is interesting.

And if you have ever listened to the score after Sox losses, the opinion that AJ and Robin are the answers and problems is certainly not unique among older people

I don't think trying to pinpoint whether people are trolls or not is really necessary. Douglas's point of view is one that is not unique among Sox fans (which isn't a bad thing!) as it seems quite a few of them really do dislike Robin as manager. I know we've had the discussion before but it's a slow point in the year and it's not a bad thing to discuss the merits of his management style.

I personally don't feel he's worthy of being replaced but this is a big year. If the team comes out flat or they lose a lot of games, it's worth considering the idea of replacing him. I think the AL is a lot tougher than it's been in previous years and there isn't one team that I can pinpoint as being really bad anymore (though ultimately I think the Astros and Twins will end up fairly bad but not terrible, and I am not sleeping on either). Still, I think the team is going to play really well this year and will be in contention much of the year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't think trying to pinpoint whether people are trolls or not is really necessary. Douglas's point of view is one that is not unique among Sox fans (which isn't a bad thing!) as it seems quite a few of them really do dislike Robin as manager. I know we've had the discussion before but it's a slow point in the year and it's not a bad thing to discuss the merits of his management style.

I personally don't feel he's worthy of being replaced but this is a big year. If the team comes out flat or they lose a lot of games, it's worth considering the idea of replacing him. I think the AL is a lot tougher than it's been in previous years and there isn't one team that I can pinpoint as being really bad anymore (though ultimately I think the Astros and Twins will end up fairly bad but not terrible, and I am not sleeping on either). Still, I think the team is going to play really well this year and will be in contention much of the year.

that is a nice post.

the point i have is with RV training on the job so to speak. the previous yrs was teaching

on how to be a coach and more.

the time of his classes is up. this team that the Sox have assemble is a great team. i just really

hope he is up to the job of taking this team to the ultimate party. the party in Grant Park.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)

I'm one of the ones who's been complaining about Robin for about 2 years. I continue to give him enormous credit for how well the 2012 team performed - came out focused and disciplined in a way I haven't seen from any White Sox team this century. I thought his rookie year earned him a major contract extension.

Then we saw the 2013 season that was the exact opposite. In 2012 even people who weren't good on defense were at least crisp, they might not have run down the ball every time but they still hit the cutoff man. In 2013 I'm not sure the team hit a cutoff man the whole year. The number of throws on an average rundown went from 1 in 2012 to something like 7 in 2013. The same players seemingly forgot how to do basic things and that was a huge part of why that team was so terrible.

Robin deserved an extension after 2012 and deserved fired after 2013. He got an extension after 2013 instead. 2014 to me didn't seem that much better. We at least saw some growth from a couple guys - Abreu during the year, Gillaspie, Flowers, but a lot of the slop was still there. But there was still a major excuse for him - they didn't spend money. There was no trading away of players for guys on a short term contract, there was no big spending in the FA market. For 2014 I wasn't going to blame him for losing games from a bad bullpen or weak roster because his job in 2014 was to develop people.

Now we've spent the money, we've filled most of the holes, and we traded away depth for a guy who is on a 1 year deal. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the division is, we traded for a guy who's likely to walk for a 9 figure deal after next season and signed 3 other guys to >$10 million a year, multi year deals. That's a major bet on this season.

The manager should be evaluated with that in mind. This team picked up 4 different "$10 million a year" guys and gave up 2 draft picks and 4 players from AA and above to do it. If we suffer a rash of injuries to guys with no major injury history, then at some point we have to ask why that's happening. If we're still that sloppy and uncaring on defense, or our big money offense/big money pitching staff disappoint, then someone needs to answer why.

I know you are new here and all, but this is a pretty intelligent site all and all. If you want to talk about firing a manager in your first post here, you had better come ready to carry some weight as to why.

I may be new here, but I ain't no whippersnapper and I ain't no troll. I started watching/listening to White Sox baseball

when I was about 9 or 10yrs old and this Feb I will be 69yrs old. I seen every manager from the 50s to date and Ventura

is one of the worse we have had. Yes, personality does count, and he has zero, you want the Sox to be front page of the

funny papers? You gotta have a spokesman who commands attention. Remember Ditka? The best part of those years was

watching him, he kept the team in the funnies. Most of you guys are still wet behind the ears compared to me, so please

don't opine me that I don't know what I'm talking about. thanks, douglas

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
EDIT: I know you are new here and all, but this is a pretty intelligent site all and all. If you want to talk about firing a manager in your first post here, you had better come ready to carry some weight as to why.

I may be new here, but I ain't no whippersnapper and I ain't no troll. I started watching/listening to White Sox baseball

when I was about 9 or 10yrs old and this Feb I will be 69yrs old. I seen every manager from the 50s to date and Ventura

is one of the worse we have had. Yes, personality does count, and he has zero, you want the Sox to be front page of the

funny papers? You gotta have a spokesman who commands attention. Remember Ditka? The best part of those years was

watching him, he kept the team in the funnies. Most of you guys are still wet behind the ears compared to me, so please

Ditka worked for one season, after that he wasted the talent that was on those Bears teams.

And I'm pretty sure the best part of that Superbowl team was winning the Superbowl...

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)

The personality of the manager is really as irrelevant as Ditka is now. Its time to stop pointing to Ditka as if he is the only crowning achievement that this town has. Quenneville, Guillen, Phil Jackson have all won titles in Chicago since Ditka won a title, and they didnt all act like raging assholes in order to win titles.

You want your manager to win games, The End.