speaking of Hahn

Douglas Rome

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
EDIT: I know you are new here and all, but this is a pretty intelligent site all and all. If you want to talk about firing a manager in your first post here, you had better come ready to carry some weight as to why.

I may be new here, but I ain't no whippersnapper and I ain't no troll. I started watching/listening to White Sox baseball

when I was about 9 or 10yrs old and this Feb I will be 69yrs old. I seen every manager from the 50s to date and Ventura

is one of the worse we have had. Yes, personality does count, and he has zero, you want the Sox to be front page of the

funny papers? You gotta have a spokesman who commands attention. Remember Ditka? The best part of those years was

watching him, he kept the team in the funnies. Most of you guys are still wet behind the ears compared to me, so please

don't opine me that I don't know what I'm talking about. thanks, douglas

You mean Mike Ditka and Ozzie Guillen who can't find jobs with other teams? Honestly, I don't care about the Sox on the front page or the back page. I care about them at the top of the standings. The only place personality means anything is in the locker room. Inside of the locker room, this team respects Robin Ventura. That is way more important than the baseball writers liking a guy because he gives them quotes to write articles around.

Spare me all of the "you're too young to know better" type stuff. I have been around sports all of my life, both as a broadcaster and a fan. I see what makes a good leader of men. Guys like Guillen and Ditka are products of a by-gone era. People don't respond to that stuff anymore. They want a guy that respects them both personally and professionally.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
The personality of the manager is really as irrelevant as Ditka is now. Its time to stop pointing to Ditka as if he is the only crowning achievement that this town has. Quenneville, Guillen, Phil Jackson have all won titles in Chicago since Ditka won a title, and they didnt all act like raging assholes in order to win titles.

You want your manager to win games, The End.

Joel Quenneville has as many titles in Chicago as Ditka, Guillen, and Keenan combined. Phil puts them all to shame.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
The personality of the manager is really as irrelevant as Ditka is now. Its time to stop pointing to Ditka as if he is the only crowning achievement that this town has. Quenneville, Guillen, Phil Jackson have all won titles in Chicago since Ditka won a title, and they didnt all act like raging assholes in order to win titles.

You want your manager to win games, The End.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE FIRE AND THE PASSION. BEAR DOWN...BLUE COLLAR GRINDER...DIE HARD...DITKAAAAA

I may be new here, but I ain't no whippersnapper and I ain't no troll. I started watching/listening to White Sox baseball

when I was about 9 or 10yrs old and this Feb I will be 69yrs old. I seen every manager from the 50s to date and Ventura

is one of the worse we have had. Yes, personality does count, and he has zero, you want the Sox to be front page of the

funny papers? You gotta have a spokesman who commands attention. Remember Ditka? The best part of those years was

watching him, he kept the team in the funnies. Most of you guys are still wet behind the ears compared to me, so please

You call in to sports radio a lot, don't you?

Edited by Rowand44

I'm not a Robin Ventura fan by any means (manager-wise), but who gives a s*** about his personality. His job is to win baseball games, not to entertain our fan-base during post game interviews. It's amazing in this day and age that someone would actually want to see a head coach/manager fired simply because they're "boring".

Why did White Sox attendance drop the last 5 consecutive years of Ozzie's tenure? Why did the Bears fire Ditka? Why did the Saints fire Ditka? Why did the Marlins choose to pay Ozzie NOT to manage than actually manage?

How many times have you had a conversation with Robin Ventura? You take postgame press conferences as proof a guy doesn't have personality. They have a charity event where Robin does some sort of stand up act, and for a guy who you claim has zero personality, it goes over pretty well. He is supposedly a pretty funny guy, and that he chooses to keep clubhouse matters in the clubhouse earns him points from his players.

The era of the yeller and screamers and guys starved for attention are over. Players don't respond to that anymore. Most people don't respond to that anymore. I think the majority of people here who work for someone (even the people who want the White Sox or Bears or whoever to hire a guy that would scream and yell) would rather not be yelled at when they mess up, and if they are probably don't think the yelling will make them better. There are ways to hold players "accountable" other than calling them out in public in a loud tone.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)

i could care less if the sox don't make the front page. the only

time i want the sox to be front page news is when the sox will

win the ws ring.

I really think Robin is "Misunterstood" or his personality just doesn't show in interviews (it doesn't have to).

I remember him either being on intential tall during the winter meetings and Millar called him sneaky funny...and then you have this...

Then if you go look up (cant copy and paste link from youtube) his video of him mocking Piazza you can see that he's a fun dude, or at least he was.

But ya all of that is really irrelevant.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
I really think Robin is "Misunterstood" or his personality just doesn't show in interviews (it doesn't have to).

I remember him either being on intential tall during the winter meetings and Millar called him sneaky funny...and then you have this...

Then if you go look up (cant copy and paste link from youtube) his video of him mocking Piazza you can see that he's a fun dude, or at least he was.

But ya all of that is really irrelevant.

i really don't think that 99% of the posters here care if he is

a great interviewer, or funny person on TV, as long as the

Sox win.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
i really don't think that 99% of the posters here care if he is

a great interviewer, or funny person on TV, as long as the

Sox win.

They shouldn't, but I threw the new guy a bone to chew on. I'm sure he's not some robot in the dugout/clubhouse.

I can't post videos from my tablet so I'd love for someone to post the video of him mocking piazza. Its a classic that I'm not sure everyone has seen.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
They shouldn't, but I threw the new guy a bone to chew on. I'm sure he's not some robot in the dugout/clubhouse.

I can't post videos from my tablet so I'd love for someone to post the video of him mocking piazza. Its a classic that I'm not sure everyone has seen.

I found it and it is kinda funny

Hahn has done an excellent job. He has remade this roster in 2 trade seasons. He added a lot of talent, got rid of the bad attitudes and malingerers (although he signed the biggest malingerer, he got rid of him). He didn't saddle the team with any 7 year contract, didn't pay top dollar for decliners, and added to the number of top prospects. He didn't hire Ventura; Ventura's personality is fine with me - I just hope he improves his decision-making, which he probably will).

Very happy with Hahn's work.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Hahn has done an excellent job. He has remade this roster in 2 trade seasons. He added a lot of talent, got rid of the bad attitudes and malingerers (although he signed the biggest malingerer, he got rid of him). He didn't saddle the team with any 7 year contract, didn't pay top dollar for decliners, and added to the number of top prospects. He didn't hire Ventura; Ventura's personality is fine with me - I just hope he improves his decision-making, which he probably will).

Very happy with Hahn's work.

I think this might be my favorite post of yours.

The era of the yeller and screamers and guys the White Sox that would scream and yell, yelled, yelling will make them better,

ways to hold players "accountable"

you guys prolly don't spank your kids either. Most of these modern players are big

spoiled crybabies and so rich they could care less. If I was manager, no facial hair,

no jewelry, butch crew hair cut and if they don't like it they don't play.

thanks, douglas

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
[quote name='Dick Allen' date='Dec 26, 2014 ->

The era of the yeller and screamers and guys the White Sox that would scream and yell, yelled, yelling will make them better,

you guys prolly don't spank your kids either. Most of these modern players are big

spoiled crybabies and so rich they could care less. If I was manager, no facial hair,

thanks, douglas

i came to a point just now, i realize you really don't know what you are talking about.

i know you said you are 68 and blah blah and blah.....

is your last name guillen you know one of the kids ???

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 04:54 AM)
[quote name='Dick Allen' date='Dec 26, 2014 ->

thanks, douglas

The 50's called, and they want their stereotypes back.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 05:54 AM)

thanks, douglas

Well, you would be fired ten games into the season after your team went 0-10.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
I guess there's one by-product from all of Hahn's moves that I didn't see coming at all. Hopefully every addition here translates to an extra 5,000 asses in the seats per game.

someone mention that the season tickets sales went up..... does anyone

have an actual number of increases???

I got some suggestions for the OP if he's looking for some "funny personalities". Ever heard of Comedy Channel? They got some funny bits on there. My favorite comedian these days is Louis C.K., I think he ought to make you laugh once or twice.

In general, baseball compared to basketball or football does not offer the same personalities or enigmas. If you've been watching baseball for 60 years, and you care more about personality, funny bits, from your manager during post game conferences than anything, then I think you've been doing something wrong for 60 years.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
I got some suggestions for the OP if he's looking for some "funny personalities". Ever heard of Comedy Channel? They got some funny bits on there. My favorite comedian these days is Louis C.K., I think he ought to make you laugh once or twice.

In general, baseball compared to basketball or football does not offer the same personalities or enigmas. If you've been watching baseball for 60 years, and you care more about personality, funny bits, from your manager during post game conferences than anything, then I think you've been doing something wrong for 60 years.

Louis CK for manager?