Another "Ozzie wants to get back into baseball" article

southsider2k5

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
who's the better manager, Ozzie or Robin? thanks, douglas

Ozzie has the better success but then again Ozzie had Paulie in his prime, Buehrle in his prime plus the likes of Dye, Thome, Crede, Rowand and a glut of good relievers.

Yet despite that, it was two post season appearances (admittedly one of them was a World Series win)

Most managers could manage that talent pool.

On the other hand Robin had a declining and often injured Paulie, Adam Dunn, Gordon Beckham, Alex Rios, Dayan Viciedo, a terrible bullpen and nearly took the title off of Detroit in 2012 with a makehift pen and injuries to Danks and Floyd.

I think this year is the 1st year that you can properly assess Robin, now has the correct tools to work with.

So in summary, its too early to judge and did I mention that we got rid of both Dunn and Beckham......

Thanks Glangon

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 05:41 AM)
I been around a long time, and I can say the Ozzie years were the most

entertaining since I was a little kid. Regardless of his perception with most

folks here, he did keep the Sox on the front page and on the AM radio

stations. Name me one Sox manager in the last 50yrs who anybody cared

about listening to? I know what you are going to say, all you care about is

winning, but there's more to it than that, it also has to be provacative.

thanks, douglas

When that "entertainent" starts affecting the performance of the team, you need to re-assess the reasons you have the manager. If he's preventing the team from reaching the goals put forth by upper management and ownership, then who cares how many times you're on front page or mentioned during rush hour sports jock radio shows?

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
who's the better manager, Ozzie or Robin? thanks, douglas

We'll find out a lot about how good of a manager Robin is this year. So far he has a 2012 where he kept a clearly inferior team in the race until the last week of the season, in his favor. He also did a good job of keeping a team that had no chance at contending in 2014 playing hard until the last day of the season, even overcoming some pretty big injuries to key players. Ventura has 2013 which was just a disastrous meltdown and the end of 2012 going against him.

Guillen has 2005 and what I thought was his best managing job in 2008 going for him. He has the 2007 collapse, along with all of the other self-created external messes that took away from the team, and biggest of all, negotiating a contract with another team while he was still a member of the White Sox. He had clearly lost the team by the end of his time here because he was more worried about himself than the people signing his paycheck.

So far Guillen wins on the World Series and Blackout teams, but Ventura hasn't had anywhere near the talent that Ozzie did, until maybe this year. Again, we will learn about how good Robin really is this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
We'll find out a lot about how good of a manager Robin is this year. So far he has a 2012 where he kept a clearly inferior team in the race until the last week of the season, in his favor. He also did a good job of keeping a team that had no chance at contending in 2014 playing hard until the last day of the season, even overcoming some pretty big injuries to key players. Ventura has 2013 which was just a disastrous meltdown and the end of 2012 going against him.

Guillen has 2005 and what I thought was his best managing job in 2008 going for him. He has the 2007 collapse, along with all of the other self-created external messes that took away from the team, and biggest of all, negotiating a contract with another team while he was still a member of the White Sox. He had clearly lost the team by the end of his time here because he was more worried about himself than the people signing his paycheck.

So far Guillen wins on the World Series and Blackout teams, but Ventura hasn't had anywhere near the talent that Ozzie did, until maybe this year. Again, we will learn about how good Robin really is this year.

a good post,

btw, does anyone knows how hard it is for a coach to keep his team

from falling apart, to keep them playing hard when the talent is not

there or when the team is out of the race???

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 05:41 AM)
I been around a long time, and I can say the Ozzie years were the most

entertaining since I was a little kid. Regardless of his perception with most

folks here, he did keep the Sox on the front page and on the AM radio

stations. Name me one Sox manager in the last 50yrs who anybody cared

about listening to? I know what you are going to say, all you care about is

winning, but there's more to it than that, it also has to be provacative.

thanks, douglas

Name a manager in the past fifty years who after being told no on a contract extension tanked the rest of a season to get out of his last year? He was also one of the most undisciplined manager in the team's history. How could he enforce any rules when he was always in some trouble or another?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)

:david

The pressure definitely is on Robin/Coop this year. With the improved roster (no excuses, these new bullpen pieces should be so much better than last year) I'm sure Soxtalk will be aflame against Robin if the Sox fall out of contention early.

This team has bonafide stars in Sale, Abreu, Melky and our new closer. The lineup is good enough to contend (on paper), the starting pitching is definitely good enough to contend (on paper), the bullpen is good enough to contend (on paper). The only huge weakness remains defense.

If the Sox stink after all these moves, I would think Hahn would be very pissed at Robin (assuming he thinks managers mean anything).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 02:43 AM)
The pressure definitely is on Robin/Coop this year. With the improved roster (no excuses, these new bullpen pieces should be so much better than last year) I'm sure Soxtalk will be aflame against Robin if the Sox fall out of contention early.

This team has bonafide stars in Sale, Abreu, Melky and our new closer. The lineup is good enough to contend (on paper), the starting pitching is definitely good enough to contend (on paper), the bullpen is good enough to contend (on paper). The only huge weakness remains defense.

If the Sox stink after all these moves, I would think Hahn would be very pissed at Robin (assuming he thinks managers mean anything).

i won't nit pick on the stars you mention, only to say the sox, i believe more.

but it is all true in what you wrote.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 07:07 AM)
I think Ozzie is funnier, he gets drunk and goes off on Mike North

on the air, you can't make this up. thanks, douglas

Haha he was the king of quotes. I think you accidentally created a signature when you signed up cuz there's no way you want "thanks, douglas" to end every post of yours. I'm sure a mod could help you fix that!

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 07:07 AM)
I think Ozzie is funnier, he gets drunk and goes off on Mike North

on the air, you can't make this up. thanks, douglas

What a baseball team should expect of it's manager: 1. A good sense of humor. 2. Gets drunk. 3. Goes off on asshole radio guy. Check, check and check!! Ozzie wins over Robin or for that matter anyone else. thanks, douglas