2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

I still think in the end, Castro is the odd man out. Most likely next offseason for a SP.

I was reading they have a 1B in AA named Dan Vogelbach who has been raking and there really is no place on the roster for him as well since RIzzo is their 1B. He might be a guy that goes for SP as well.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Except Castro's got a decent-sized contract already, so that's going to somewhat limit his return...but I'm sure there will be a decent-sized market there for him (off-the-field issues, notwithstanding), nevertheless.

Castro has an incredibly team-friendly contract. 3 time all-star at age of 25 who's signed to the following:

2016 26 Chicago Cubs $7,857,143

2017 27 Chicago Cubs $9,857,143

2018 28 Chicago Cubs $10,857,143

2019 29 Chicago Cubs $11,857,14

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
Schwarber's lighting it up again this year, right?

What about CJ Edwards?

McKinney? P. Johnson (P)?

Schwarber is hitting 250 right now. McKinney is doing pretty well. Edwards has struggled out of the pen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
Schwarber's lighting it up again this year, right?

What about CJ Edwards?

McKinney? P. Johnson (P)?

Schwarber's off to a slow start. Edwards has been moved to relief and has been awful. P. Johnson is hurt, while McKinney is not doing anything special.

They still have some ok prospect, but Bryant and Russell were clearly the potential superstars in their system that made them ranked #1.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
Schwarber's off to a slow start. Edwards has been moved to relief and has been awful. P. Johnson is hurt, while McKinney is not doing anything special.

They still have some ok prospect, but Bryant and Russell were clearly the potential superstars in their system that made them ranked #1.

Except I'm not so sure that Soler doesn't end up the best of all of them, except for Bryant (since he's looking like he might stick at 3B).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
Except I'm not so sure that Soler doesn't end up the best of all of them, except for Bryant (since he's looking like he might stick at 3B).

I forgot Soler was included as one of their prospects for their rankings. And yes, both Soler and Bryant have all the makings of MVP caliber players.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
Castro has an incredibly team-friendly contract. 3 time all-star at age of 25 who's signed to the following:

2016 26 Chicago Cubs $7,857,143

2017 27 Chicago Cubs $9,857,143

2018 28 Chicago Cubs $10,857,143

2019 29 Chicago Cubs $11,857,14

I am honestly surprised a deal with the Yankees wasn't done in the off season. It just made sense for both teams.

I know there are many that disagree with me on here, but there's really no excuse for the Cubs to not be one of the 5 best teams in baseball for the next decade. They've made some incredible trades the past few years (Samardzija and Feldman deals) while also leaving themselves a lot of payroll flexibility going forward. I'm still not sure why they didn't go after Scherzer instead of Lester though, but I'm happy they did.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
I know there are many that disagree with me on here, but there's really no excuse for the Cubs to not be one of the 5 best teams in baseball for the next decade. They've made some incredible trades the past few years (Samardzija and Feldman deals) while also leaving themselves a lot of payroll flexibility going forward. I'm still not sure why they didn't go after Scherzer instead of Lester though, but I'm happy they did.

You write this pretty much every three years. You thought Lou Piniella was the cure, and Pie, and Castro, and Ted Lilly, and Derrick Lee, and on and on and on. Every time they have a glimmer of hope you act like it is a referendum that they become good and win a world series

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
I forgot Soler was included as one of their prospects for their rankings. And yes, both Soler and Bryant have all the makings of MVP caliber players.

I love Soler. I too think he will be the best of the bunch, if he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)

Totally agree with you. A lot of people that dont want the Cubs to succeed fall back on the idea that its the Cubs and they will find someway to ruin all of this. I just dont buy this reasoning this time. Epstein built this team the right way and now they will reap the benefits. Maybe not a WS victory but they are going to be a force to be reckoned with every year for a long time now. The only thing that I can see get in their way is injuries and it would have to be multiple season ending injuries of key players year in and year out.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Totally agree with you. A lot of people that dont want the Cubs to succeed fall back on the idea that its the Cubs and they will find someway to ruin all of this. I just dont buy this reasoning this time. Epstein built this team the right way and now they will reap the benefits. Maybe not a WS victory but they are going to be a force to be reckoned with every year for a long time now. The only thing that I can see get in their way is injuries and it would have to be multiple season ending injuries of key players year in and year out.

They still lack of lot of pitching.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
I would love for Dodgers or Yankees to sign David Price, as that way he'd stay away from the Tigers and Cubs.

If the Cubs want to throw a quarter of a billion dollars at David Price, I am OK with that. Same with the Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, or whoever.

Lester really went through a stretch in Boston where he wasn't very good...not Lackey/Beckett bad, but no longer really pitching like an ace.

Then he seemed to get it back together again the last 2-3 seasons.

So their biggest issues, at least to me:

1) Lester doesn't come close to living up to that contract, starts to be affected by "Chuck Knoblauch-itis"

2) Injuries (well, we can always say this, like in the NFL...special teams will play a decisive role)

3) Bullpen issues

4) They don't find a young catching cornerstone to build around...Montero seems to be wasted money...and it's probably not Schwarber

5) Baez/Almora/Alcantara/McKinney see their value/s fall through the floor

6) Defense, although Russell at 2B will be an upgrade (Barney-esque)...and they can't find a young CFer to captain their D like Lorenzo Cain in KC (maybe still Almora, but not looking good for him at the moment)

Even with all those eventualities, they will still have Schwarber and their first round draft pick this year to work with....and then the eventual expected media rights payoff in 4 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
If the Cubs want to throw a quarter of a billion dollars at David Price, I am OK with that. Same with the Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, or whoever.

His K rates and fastball have been declining over the last couple of seasons.

That's a red flag. Obviously, guys like Felix Hernandez have adjusted, but I definitely would be leery about throwing $175-190 million his way based on his past performance.

Plus, Comerica has a way of making pitchers look better (than reality) because of the size of that outfield...think guys like Fister and Porcello, for example.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
Why is Baez still so easily tradeable for quality pitching? I know he's young and that was a small sample size, but I'd be very very worried about his strikeouts. He may not be an everyday player in the majors.

He's the one I don't get. If everything goes right he is Adam Dunn. If things don't go right? Joe Borchard. He still has a ways to go even to get to that ceiling.