2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
Of course, the White Sox will keep Danks until next August...just the other day, there was yet ather article about swapping the two, Jackson for Danks.

Guess that's off the table.

As soon as we're in a playoff race and we desperately need to replace that roster spot with a reliever, you can tell us how it's time to DFA him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJax wasn't pitching very badly. 3.19 ERA, 2.83 FIP. Strikeouts and walks weren't great but around career norms. Odd choice if you ask me, especially since you're adding a guy who is just as likely if not more likely to be cut in short order.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
EJax wasn't pitching very badly. 3.19 ERA, 2.83 FIP. Strikeouts and walks weren't great but around career norms. Odd choice if you ask me, especially since you're adding a guy who is just as likely if not more likely to be cut in short order.

They would only pitch him in the lowest possible leverage situations. When they put him into games that weren't already decided he wasn't up to it.

Kudos to them for being willing to eat so much of what he's owed. They're not fooling around.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
Opposition finally showing up defensively...highlight reel play there by Phillips and Suarez.

Unbelievable play by Phillips. Maybe the best by a second basemen this year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
Unbelievable play by Phillips. Maybe the best by a second basemen this year.

You can pretty much guarantee he's written in permanent ink on KW's "once great but maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle" veteran acquisition targets list.

Is it possible that Soler isn't as great as people, including me, thought he'd be? I believe Melky has a better stat line than him now.

Actually,

Soler: .258, 5 HR, 26 RBI, .705 OPS

Avisail Garcia: .272, 7 HR, 31 RBI, .703 OPS

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 04:51 AM)
Is it possible that Soler isn't as great as people, including me, thought he'd be? I believe Melky has a better stat line than him now.

Actually,

And that's with a .371 BABIP. Hard to be a successful major league hitter when you strike out 32% of the time.

Still way too early to jump to any conclusions, but Cubs fans will be heartbroken when they finally realize that not all these prospects will pan out.

Actually,

I think that the sudden stardom of Puig/Cespedes/Abreu kind of overrated all Cuban prospects, even those 3 guys got slightly overrated themselves. They all still have that adjustment period that is key as to how good of MLB players they will be.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 06:46 AM)
And that's with a .371 BABIP. Hard to be a successful major league hitter when you strike out 32% of the time.

Still way too early to jump to any conclusions, but Cubs fans will be heartbroken when they finally realize that not all these prospects will pan out.

Every rookie they have brought up this season is hovering around a 30% K rate. Bryant has been able to offset the strikeouts by walking quite a bit, but Russell and Soler are struggling pretty hard. All of their value is currently being provided by their defense.

Wrong. No Cubs fan thinks they'll all pan out. Bryant, Soler and Russell are locks. Even if the latter two are inconsistent, they pass every eye/smell/etc test you can come up with. All they have to do is find a position for Schwarber and you've got 4 locks. Who cares about the rest. 2017. It's not going to be fun around these parts.

I'd still rather have any one of their young players over just about anyone in the current Sox lineup.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
Wrong. No Cubs fan thinks they'll all pan out. Bryant, Soler and Russell are locks. Even if the latter two are inconsistent, they pass every eye/smell/etc test you can come up with. All they have to do is find a position for Schwarber and you've got 4 locks. Who cares about the rest. 2017. It's not going to be fun around these parts.

Really, Soler's a lock? His successful stints were in the tiniest of sample sizes.

He certainly MIGHT be terrific, eventually. And he might be the right-handed Domonic Brown.

Actually,

Anything is possible but players need like 1500-2000 at-bats

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
Schwarber again. Their draft scouting is incredible

My entirely baseless gut feeling is that what he's doing now won't be anywhere near what he ends up being, but damn. Even though this FO hasn't brought them to the playoffs yet, there's no arguing with them. It looks like Cub fans get to sit back and just watch the next few seasons without really having to worry about much.

Edit- I payed attention to Reds/Cub until about the time Cinci took a 2-Run lead. After the last play of the Sox game, I just flipped it back to CSN figuring that they had either come back and won, or that they took it to extras and it was still going on. Sure enough...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

We should have taken the money wasted on Bonifacio/Beckham and thrown it at Epstein's lieutenants, like the Astros did when they raided StL for Luhnow, Mejdal and 2-3 more guys the next rung or two down on the talent evaluation side.

Or paint a target on the Twins now that Ryan is back in charge.