2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:14 AM)
Check out the Giants' schedule the next 20-25 games. BRUTAL.

If the Cubs can just win 3 or 4 of the 7 games vs the Giants in the next few weeks, it's hard to see the Giants outlasting them. The differences in schedule strength is unreal.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
If the Cubs can just win 3 or 4 of the 7 games vs the Giants in the next few weeks, it's hard to see the Giants outlasting them. The differences in schedule strength is unreal.

That strength of schedule really did the Cubs a favor last weekend against Jeff Franceour and company

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)
You can keep the Cubs, but I'll take Bryant and Rizzo right now. Rizzo is the real deal.

Bryant has only shown flashes of being a sure thing but his average is going down everyday. I'm sure he'll be good for awhile but I'll wait to see it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Bryant has only shown flashes of being a sure thing but his average is going down everyday. I'm sure he'll be good for awhile but I'll wait to see it.

We shouldn't be surprised that the strikeouts are catching up with him. Now he's going to have to adjust his game and his approach to make some more contact.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
And just like that, Cubs are tied for the WC lead. 4 days ago, they were 2.5 out of the WC and so were the Sox. I hate baseball this year.

If the Cubs success and the White Sox failure drives your love/hate for baseball, you're going to hate baseball for the foreseeable future. Their future is stacked, our's is garbage. What a difference a front office makes. :(

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
If the Cubs success and the White Sox failure drives your love/hate for baseball, you're going to hate baseball for the foreseeable future. Their future is stacked, our's is garbage. What a difference a front office makes. :(

This. I'm over hating the Cubs. I'm not going to actively cheer for them or anything but obsessing/hoping/praying they fail (as I did in 2003 for example) is over for me. Hell, once they start winning, maybe the ws limp-dick FO will look to duplicate.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)

He's already put up 3.4 fWAR this year. I think he'll be fine.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
This. I'm over hating the Cubs. I'm not going to actively cheer for them or anything but obsessing/hoping/praying they fail (as I did in 2003 for example) is over for me. Hell, once they start winning, maybe the ws limp-dick FO will look to duplicate.

I can't help but marvel in it a bit. It's really incredible what they have done there. They look set up to win for a LONG time. They're a wild card team and their organizational goal is still to develop talent. They're sticking to their plan.

Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams (if not them, Jerry Reinsdorf) need to wake up. Their way of doing things is over. Buying free agent talent and failing at drafting positional talent is not a roadmap for long term success.

Make no mistake, I'm a White Sox fan, but I want to see the Cubs do well. They have little to do with "our guys" and the White Sox are just so infuriating at the moment.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
I can't help but marvel in it a bit. It's really incredible what they have done there. They look set up to win for a LONG time. They're a wild card team and their organizational goal is still to develop talent. They're sticking to their plan.

Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams (if not them, Jerry Reinsdorf) need to wake up. Their way of doing things is over. Buying free agent talent and failing at drafting positional talent is not a roadmap for long term success.

Make no mistake, I'm a White Sox fan, but I want to see the Cubs do well. They have little to do with "our guys" and the White Sox are just so infuriating at the moment.

Not to mention Castro, Baez, Soler, Rondon, Gleyber Torres, Almora, Eloy Jimenez...doing a much better job with Hispanic/Latin American players as well.

Essentially we've been shut out of 1/3rd of the talent market...with the only exceptions Alexei and Abreu. Quintana and Garcia came from other organizations. I guess we can claim Carlos Sanchez, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)
Not to mention Castro, Baez, Soler, Rondon, Gleyber Torres, Almora, Eloy Jimenez...doing a much better job with Hispanic/Latin American players as well.

Essentially we've been shut out of 1/3rd of the talent market...with the only exceptions Alexei and Abreu. Quintana and Garcia came from other organizations. I guess we can claim Carlos Sanchez, too.

Lmao Caulfield, you sure love to make stuff up.

Btw, Almora was born and raised in Florida

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 06:00 AM)
Lmao Caulfield, you sure love to make stuff up.

Btw, Almora was born and raised in Florida

His father, Albert Sr., played baseball in Cuba before he defected to the United States.[4] Albert began training with his father when he was three years old.[1][4]

He's not Hispanic?

But, by that qualification, Carlos Rodon should also be listed.

There's no discernible difference in Latin American results between the two organizations?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 07:12 AM)
His father, Albert Sr., played baseball in Cuba before he defected to the United States.[4] Albert began training with his father when he was three years old.[1][4]

He's not Hispanic?

But, by that qualification, Carlos Rodon should also be listed.

There's no discernible difference in Latin American results between the two organizations?

Is there a difference? Last I checked pretty much all of the players you just listed are prospects, and here you are acting like they are all proven major leaguers.

And i love how you are acting like the Sox are "shutout from 1/3 of the market" by deliberately not even trying to look in the Sox minor league system for any sort of Hispanic/Latin American players and then listing off multiple players on the Cubs.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)

What I find impressive is that they went all out on acquiring blue chip hitters, yet managed to find a #1 and #3 pitcher basically off the scrap heap. (Yes, I realize they are taking advantage of the NL, but my point still stands)