2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 06:07 AM)
Has anyone ever sold anything on Stubhub? Thinking of selling something on there but how do I get my money? Does stubhub send me a check?

Do you use PayPal? I always have them pay me via PayPal whenever I sell tickets on there.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 06:34 AM)
Do you use PayPal? I always have them pay me via PayPal whenever I sell tickets on there.

I do but if I didn't want to use it, how does it work? I haven't used paypal in a long ass time. Is it hard to get it from your paypal account into your bank account? I seriously have never sold anything online. I'm lame.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
I do but if I didn't want to use it, how does it work? I haven't used paypal in a long ass time. Is it hard to get it from your paypal account into your bank account? I seriously have never sold anything online. I'm lame.

Paypal usually takes a percentage depending on the amount, and the frequency you use paypal(they gave me a few freebie transfers back to my bank account when i first started using it). Its not hard to set up your bank account on Paypal, everything is pretty user friendly.

Has anyone ever sold anything on Stubhub? Thinking of selling something on there but how do I get my money? Does stubhub send me a check?

PayPal or they'll send you a check. It's gotten me out of eating tickets numerous times.

I am part of a Sox season ticket holder group, and we use Stub Hub to sell many of our unused tickets. For that purpose there is an API, and we can basically just transfer them from our White Sox account to Stub Hub, set a price, etc. They are sold electronically. They take out a commission.

As for your situation where I assume you have a hard ticket, the payment angles are the same - you can get them to send you a check, you can credit your credit card I think, or get PayPal'd. But I think in the case of hard tickets, they wait for some period of time before paying you, to make sure the other party got the ticket.

You link a bank account to your paypal account. When the money hits your paypal, you transfer it to your bank account. It takes a couple of days to clear. It is WAY quicker than a check.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
You link a bank account to your paypal account. When the money hits your paypal, you transfer it to your bank account. It takes a couple of days to clear. It is WAY quicker than a check.

They sent me a Paypal debit card.

I can use that card and get the money immediately.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30784886

The lost Beagle 2 Mars probe was found, this is pretty interesting. Balta, do you know if they are going to attempt to send any of the rovers in that direction to see if any of it is salvageable? Or is it just way too far?

That's way, way, way, way too far for anything on the surface to drive.

This is cool because it helps establish what happened to it. It successfully soft landed and 2 of the solar panels opened, but 2 didn't, meaning that the undeployed solar panels blocked the transmitter. Looks like much more of a solid triumph, it got to the ground, didn't do a high speed impact or anything.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
The chord for my iron is 12 feet long. I can't think of a situation where I'd be ironing 12 feet from the outlet.

Well I guess if you're playing some crazy music while ironing you do want to spread things out...

Really would be useful in hotel rooms.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
There's plenty of people I'd like to see or chat with that I no longer keep in touch with. Most people have the same attitude as you but I always like catching up with someone, people change alot from 18-28.

Yeah, this is why I want to go to my 10-year in two years.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
I figure those bidding sites like quibids and deal dash, the ones where you can get a "BRAND NEW IPHONE FOR TEN DOLLARS!!!", are some sort of scam, but does anyone know how they're scams? Just don't see how it works.

You have to buy each bid for like $1. Each bid increases the price of the item by $.01. Therefore, when someone gets an iPhone for $10, that means there have been 1000 bids on that iPhone, each of them costing someone $1. The total revenue to the company on a $10 iPhone therefore is $1010. Even if they give a bunch of bids away they still turn a huge profit on a single item.

The more people participating in the site, the more bids there can be per item too, so an item rising in price to $12 or so is worth an extra $200 to the site.

It's basically gambling. You've got a 0.1 or 0.01% chance of getting an item extremely cheap, but you're potentially risking a ton of money to get that win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
You have to buy each bid for like $1. Each bid increases the price of the item by $.01. Therefore, when someone gets an iPhone for $10, that means there have been 1000 bids on that iPhone, each of them costing someone $1. The total revenue to the company on a $10 iPhone therefore is $1010. Even if they give a bunch of bids away they still turn a huge profit on a single item.

The more people participating in the site, the more bids there can be per item too, so an item rising in price to $12 or so is worth an extra $200 to the site.

It's basically gambling. You've got a 0.1 or 0.01% chance of getting an item extremely cheap, but you're potentially risking a ton of money to get that win.

Gotcha, thanks. Seems like quite the money-maker.

For the love of God, someone please help me.

I heard a song on the radio the other day, can't remember a single lyric (not sure there even were any?) but it sounded like a Johnny Cash song. It's a newer song, but the music reminded me of Ain't No Grave or that damn Ford commercial.

UPDATE: FOUND IT! Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?

Did anyone listen to the Spiegs and Bernstein transition on the Score today? What happened? People are congratulating Spiegs for given it to Bernstein on Spiegal's FB page but I don't know what it was for.

Sigh.

Amazon to begin collecting sales tax for us unlucky f***s who still live in Illinois for some reason.

Insanely high state income tax? Check.

Terrible weather? Check.

Bad housing rates? Check.

AND NOW THIS

Seriously, why am I still here?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
Sigh.

Amazon to begin collecting sales tax for us unlucky f***s who still live in Illinois for some reason.

Terrible weather? Check.

AND NOW THIS

I ask myself this question twice a day at least. Illinois takes my money in so many different ways it makes me vomit on my keyboard... and then I get charged a vomit tax.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
Sigh.

Terrible weather? Check.

AND NOW THIS

Wha wha...move to Cali. I don't know what bad housing rates is, presume property taxes? We get the great weather but have all the other negatives you are talking about + insanely high real estate prices (bad for anyone young or who moved after prices appreciated...for those that got in while the getting was good, well great for them).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Wha wha...move to Cali. I don't know what bad housing rates is, presume property taxes? We get the great weather but have all the other negatives you are talking about + insanely high real estate prices (bad for anyone young or who moved after prices appreciated...for those that got in while the getting was good, well great for them).

We have some friends that moved out to LA a year ago but are gonna move back to Chicago because the real estate. If they lived where they wanted to they would be catching up forever or other places they could afford all would require paying for private schooling for future children. They both have pretty good jobs, so I can only imagine how tough it is.