2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 21, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
Does McDonald's actually pay restaurant employees or is the owner of each restaurant responsible?

Something like 10-20% of their outposts are owned directly by the company and they could directly change situations in those.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
The barrier to obtaining a college degree or technical training is insanely low and the benefits are incredibly high. Not doing so is just a failure these days for young people. I could understand a 40 year old. But an 18 year old? Knowing what you need for a good job? It's just dumb and a sign of a lack of effort/drive.

Have you actually looked at the skyrocketing coats of college these days? Don't you whine about your own student loans?

Edit also again weirdly assumes that there aren't a decent number of people with a college degree or technical training making less than $15,. And where exactly are all of these higher paying jobs?

Edit 2 for example, guess how many non - doctors in the medical field with technical training and usually at least am associates degree make less than that!

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 21, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
There's a weird assumption here that nobody making less than $15/hour worked hard in school or works hard at their job.

Maybe they make that at first but if they work hard they will make more.

If you work hard and succeed in school odds are you will be able to further your education, sometimes for free. And minimum wage isn't something you would be at for long if at all. Today $15 is not minimum wage so certainly some skilled people make that much. Which is why the high school freshman cooking fries shouldn't make that much.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2015 -> 10:14 PM)
Maybe they make that at first but if they work hard they will make more.

If you work hard and succeed in school odds are you will be able to further your education, sometimes for free. And minimum wage isn't something you would be at for long if at all. Today $15 is not minimum wage so certainly some skilled people make that much. Which is why the high school freshman cooking fries shouldn't make that much.

According to the BLS less than 10% of food workers are 19 years old and under.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)
According to the BLS less than 10% of food workers are 19 years old and under.

And they should all be making less than 15 dollars hopefully.

When I was a "food worker" in college and after I also should have made less than 15 bucks an hour because my job was a joke.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
And they should all be making less than 15 dollars hopefully.

When I was a "food worker" in college and after I also should have made less than 15 bucks an hour because my job was a joke.

My personal favorite was the Tennessee congresswoman who explained how $2.15 an hour was fine for her while in school and when you adjusted for inflation that came to between $12 and $14.50 an hour.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
My personal favorite was the Tennessee congresswoman who explained how $2.15 an hour was fine for her while in school and when you adjusted for inflation that came to between $12 and $14.50 an hour.

I made 5.25 in 1999-2003 as a food worker.

I made only tips when I bartended.

I'd also be hard pressed to say McDonalds employees don't work hard. Those lunch rushes are a b**** to work. I've worked in customer service for 20 years and never in food service and I will keep it that way.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 22, 2015 -> 05:26 AM)
I'd also be hard pressed to say McDonalds employees don't work hard. Those lunch rushes are a b**** to work. I've worked in customer service for 20 years and never in food service and I will keep it that way.

It's brainless unskilled work. It's really not hard at all. I worked at Subway and it was a joke.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 22, 2015 -> 05:26 AM)

I don't think it's so much about "working hard", it's more about the actual skill that's required to be able to do the job properly. Most minimum wage jobs can be filled by the average teenager with less than 1 week of training.

In many cases the employees can be replaced by computer screens. Like the self-checkouts that a lot of stores are going to now. I've read that Mcdonalds is testing out self-ordering stations as well.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 22, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
I don't think it's so much about "working hard", it's more about the actual skill that's required to be able to do the job properly. Most minimum wage jobs can be filled by the average teenager with less than 1 week of training.

In many cases the employees can be replaced by computer screens. Like the self-checkouts that a lot of stores are going to now. I've read that Mcdonalds is testing out self-ordering stations as well.

Self ordering at McDonalds would be good and bad. Some of the customers are morons.

I work with several large fast food organizations to expedite and improve user experience. Chik-Fil-A, Domino's and Yum brands for example have launched enhanced mobile ordering systems that allow for payment and expedited pick up. I think thats step one.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
The barrier to obtaining a college degree or technical training is insanely low and the benefits are incredibly high. Not doing so is just a failure these days for young people. I could understand a 40 year old. But an 18 year old? Knowing what you need for a good job? It's just dumb and a sign of a lack of effort/drive.

I personally don't tend towards either of the extreme arguments here, but I just wanted to point out that the bolded is patently false. It takes a large chunk of money to pay for a college degree. The part about also having to work to live I have no issues with, as that really is just being dedicated and motivated. But the reality is, even if you are dedicated and motivated, where do people find 15k/year or 25k/year for a 4-year school? Loans just make it cost even more later, and they aren't available to all, nor are they always enough to cover everything.

I am not suggesting, by the way, anything beyond what I've said here. I'm simply stating that the barrier to obtaining a college degree (assuming you mean a 4-year degree, not a JuCo certificate) is the opposite of insanely low, it is clearly quite high.

If you're talking short-term professional training or community college, now that's a little more realistic. Which if you learn a specific trade can work, but its not the same as a 4-year degree and we all know that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
I personally don't tend towards either of the extreme arguments here, but I just wanted to point out that the bolded is patently false. It takes a large chunk of money to pay for a college degree. The part about also having to work to live I have no issues with, as that really is just being dedicated and motivated. But the reality is, even if you are dedicated and motivated, where do people find 15k/year or 25k/year for a 4-year school? Loans just make it cost even more later, and they aren't available to all, nor are they always enough to cover everything.

I am not suggesting, by the way, anything beyond what I've said here. I'm simply stating that the barrier to obtaining a college degree (assuming you mean a 4-year degree, not a JuCo certificate) is the opposite of insanely low, it is clearly quite high.

If you're talking short-term professional training or community college, now that's a little more realistic. Which if you learn a specific trade can work, but its not the same as a 4-year degree and we all know that.

I meant at least an associates. Are there even minimums to get into an associate program? And loans are loans. Federal loans are available to basically anyone. Not getting something beyond a high school diploma (my original point) is easy and anyone that doesn't do it just doesn't have the drive/motivation. I'm sure you can point me to a situation where an 18 year old has 2 meth head parents and has to raise her 4 siblings, but for the vast, vast majority of people it's easily attainable. Bettering your life to become something more than a fast food worker is not a difficult thing in this country.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 21, 2015 -> 08:36 PM)
Have you actually looked at the skyrocketing coats of college these days? Don't you whine about your own student loans?

Edit also again weirdly assumes that there aren't a decent number of people with a college degree or technical training making less than $15,. And where exactly are all of these higher paying jobs?

Edit 2 for example, guess how many non - doctors in the medical field with technical training and usually at least am associates degree make less than that!

Yeah but I also recognize that at the end of the day the cost is worth it. I'm going to make exponentially more with a law degree and tons of student debt than I would with a GED working at McDonalds.

Non doctors such as what? PA's? Dental assistants? They make more than 30k, especially after a few years.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
Yeah but I also recognize that at the end of the day the cost is worth it. I'm going to make exponentially more with a law degree and tons of student debt than I would with a GED working at McDonalds.

Non doctors such as what? PA's? Dental assistants? They make more than 30k, especially after a few years.

Vet techs. Dental techs. Phlebotomists. EMTs. Pharmacy workers. Home healthcare workers.

My wife just finished her associate's degree and got a job that started out at $40K. She had an awesome husband to provide income and help with child care while she went through school, but many of her classmates were single moms and they all managed pretty well.

If you have the motivation, you can find a way to get jobs paying > $15/hour without trying to guilt McDonald's into just giving it to you.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

My wife and I used to have a DVD player we strapped to the back of our car headrests for our kids to watch movies while we are on long drives. It died about a year ago and we never replaced it. I'd like to get something a little more "modern" than a DVD player.

Ideally, I'd like either a monitor I can plug a SD card into with 20+ movies already stored on it. Or, dumb monitors I can plug an iPod touch or Android tablet into. I do not want the monitors built into the headrests. Any suggestions? I havent found anything that I like yet.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 26, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
My wife and I used to have a DVD player we strapped to the back of our car headrests for our kids to watch movies while we are on long drives. It died about a year ago and we never replaced it. I'd like to get something a little more "modern" than a DVD player.

Ideally, I'd like either a monitor I can plug a SD card into with 20+ movies already stored on it. Or, dumb monitors I can plug an iPod touch or Android tablet into. I do not want the monitors built into the headrests. Any suggestions? I havent found anything that I like yet.

Do you have an ipad or something along those lines or even just a cheap tablet? Why not just use that and then just have a contraption that works with the seats (I presume they probably exist).

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 30, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
25 year old kid who grew up on my street was shot and killed in a mugging gone wrong in Lakeview after drinking at Wrigleyville bars. I will not go to those bars. If you are young and drunk in those areas (Wrigleyville, Lakeview, Boystown) around close you are nothing more than a target. I am at work with one of the kid's best friend's and he doesn't even know yet. I don't have the heart to tell him.

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2015/05/neighbor...ot-dead-on.html

Over a f***ing phone.