2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
A few months back my boss made me fire someone who didn't deserve to be fired. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

That will be my situation in the upcoming months, there definitely a couple people who if not deserving to be fired pretty close to it that I'd still hate having to fire someone I'd actually be a bit relieved after.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
Fired someone today and it felt f***ing great.

I've been managing people for 15+ years. Dozens, maybe close to a hundred total over time at multiple companies. I've had to fire or lay off a handful... and it was never, ever fun, even if they were clearly underperforming and needed to go. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where it would feel good.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
I've been managing people for 15+ years. Dozens, maybe close to a hundred total over time at multiple companies. I've had to fire or lay off a handful... and it was never, ever fun, even if they were clearly underperforming and needed to go. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where it would feel good.

My first internship was at a local factory and I had to fire several workers for different reasons and it was literally so horrible I didnt go into that line of work.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
My first internship was at a local factory and I had to fire several workers for different reasons and it was literally so horrible I didnt go into that line of work.

They had interns firing people? Well they may be in line for worst company in America.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
They had interns firing people? Well they may be in line for worst company in America.

I "participated" while my supervisor watched next to me. It was terrible. Hourly workers with huge families.

And the factory doesnt exist anymore as the company was purchased.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Someday when you get fired, we'll see how you like it.

I'm at least competent at what I do and more importantly I'm not an asshole. I don't think that will be happening to me anytime soon.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
That's kind of disturbing. Maybe it's just me, but I would hate to fire someone. Even if they were incompetent.

The cinematographer I hired, tired to do my job, treated other crew and the cast like s***. Everytime I dressed/composed the scene he would always try to change what I did. Not to mentioned all the film he wasted.

I called him and said that he should come in duringn an off day so that we could start putting together an edit. And then fired him. I didn't feel an ounce bad and I told him that he should find a new profession.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
I'm at least competent at what I do and more importantly I'm not an asshole. I don't think that will be happening to me anytime soon.

The cinematographer I hired, tired to do my job, treated other crew and the cast like s***. Everytime I dressed/composed the scene he would always try to change what I did. Not to mentioned all the film he wasted.

I called him and said that he should come in duringn an off day so that we could start putting together an edit. And then fired him. I didn't feel an ounce bad and I told him that he should find a new profession.

I could only imagine how I'd react if someone told me to come in on my off day only to can me. Everything you said points to you being an Ahole. Whether the person deserved it or not, they are a person. Firing someone, while the person might have made the actual decision easy on you, should be handled with class (or as much class as possible given the circumstances) and you clearly didn't do that.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
I can maybe understand firing someone that really deserves it giving you a good feeling, but having them come in on an off day to do it.... That's terrible.

No other way. Can't do it on filming days because the schedules are super super tight, this needed to be done in private and I needed my back.

And I don't feel sorry at all it really GOT to that point. People didn't want to show up and he was wasting a lot of my money.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
I could only imagine how I'd react if someone told me to come in on my off day only to can me. Everything you said points to you being an Ahole. Whether the person deserved it or not, they are a person. Firing someone, while the person might have made the actual decision easy on you, should be handled with class (or as much class as possible given the circumstances) and you clearly didn't do that.

Sorry, I didn't see you in my house when we had our discussion. How did it go exactly.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Sorry, I didn't see you in my house when we had our discussion. How did it go exactly.

Doing it on an off day is disgraceful and distasteful. I've seen enough from your posts to see how you approached it and how you got kicks out of it. Pathetic. If you had any class, no matter how busy you were, you'd say at the end of the day (better yet at the beginning), we need to talk (and by the way...he shouldn't be surprised to have this conversation either as you should have already given him the feedback that he needs to step up / improve in X / Y / Z).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
Doing it on an off day is disgraceful and distasteful. I've seen enough from your posts to see how you approached it and how you got kicks out of it. Pathetic. If you had any class, no matter how busy you were, you'd say at the end of the day (better yet at the beginning), we need to talk (and by the way...he shouldn't be surprised to have this conversation either as you should have already given him the feedback that he needs to step up / improve in X / Y / Z).

This is so important, and not just in this situation. You should never learn anything new in a review. Otherwise, that's poor management.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)

Competent, nice people don't get fired all the time? What world do you live on?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/28/politics/loo...rad-east-coast/

A blimp associated with NORAD's surveillance of the East Coast has become untethered from its mooring in Maryland and it's now flying over Pennsylvania, according to NORAD spokesman Lt. Joe Mavrocki.

Two F-16s scrambled from the New Jersey National Guard are tracking the JLENS aerostat, a Pentagon official said, after the aircraft came loose from its mooring station in Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, just outside of Washington.

They need to act fast in order to prvent a tragic accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.