2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
I cant help myself. This guy wants to send me 15 million dollars that my great aunt Zinaida McMahon left for me!!!

Also, he informed me that I am the last surviving heir, which is sad and disappointing. I will now have to inform my brother that he is dead.

Wow, that's sad! I wonder how your brother will take the news.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 10:41 PM)
Wow, that's sad! I wonder how your brother will take the news.

He was pissed. He let his lawyer know to contest my claim

I let the African lawyer(Ubaaka) know that my attorney, Jackie Chiles, advised me that he will have to fill out the proper 1D10T forms before we proceed.

f***ing water pump in my car exploded, driving into the dealership everyone knew it before I did. "Known issue." First thing really wrong with my jeep and I am obligated to give another car brand a shot here since I am almost due for a new car.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
f***ing water pump in my car exploded, driving into the dealership everyone knew it before I did. "Known issue." First thing really wrong with my jeep and I am obligated to give another car brand a shot here since I am almost due for a new car.

Jeep has had water pump issues for years. I don't get why they can figure it out.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
Jeep has had water pump issues for years. I don't get why they can figure it out.

Jeep has had issues for decades. They are beautiful looking cars and do 4x4 right but they have horrific and I mean horrific build quality.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Jeep has had issues for decades. They are beautiful looking cars and do 4x4 right but they have horrific and I mean horrific build quality.

I had one for six months. It was used but I had to bring it back to Carmax 3 times with water pump issues that they could never figure out what the problem was. After the third time I just demanded my money back.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
I had one for six months. It was used but I had to bring it back to Carmax 3 times with water pump issues that they could never figure out what the problem was. After the third time I just demanded my money back.

I wondered why you wanted one. It's a shame that the Chrysler 300 died so horribly.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
I wondered why you wanted one. It's a shame that the Chrysler 300 died so horribly.

Yeah. The Dan Ryan killed it. Glad I lived though. LOL

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)

It been manufactured by several different companies over that time period so something doesnt match up there. My 2011 and 2014 grand cherokee have been my favorite cars ever and this was the first real issue.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
I was thinking of getting a Jeep if I got this Arizona job. Don't have to worry about it though.

I love my JGC, and my wife ADORES her cherokee. We traded in her top of the line CRV for it and there is no comparison.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
It been manufactured by several different companies over that time period so something doesnt match up there. My 2011 and 2014 grand cherokee have been my favorite cars ever and this was the first real issue.

You kept your car for 2+ years. If your car is exploding or having major issues during a 2 year window and that is a general trend, it has got to be a pretty big POS (and that is a general trend, you don't expect new cars to die on you in the first few years or really have any issues outside of routine maintenance..not just a rare your car issue). Jeeps though, have lots of eletrical and build quality issues that show up during 4-5 year ownership durations (let alone 10 year duration vs. what you'd see from other car companies). And despite shifts in manufacturers, a lot of tech doesn't necessarily change, it continues to get leveraged / updated. It isn't as if Dodger joined Mercedes and Mercedes, who didn't build trucks and the like, just threw in new chassi's and instantly mercedez them. Yes, changes happened but cars aren't just entirely flipped over or begin from day 1, they get modified for long periods on existing parts, etc, and with exsiting teams. While I bet some of the car flipped during the pre dodge / post dodge era, I bet a lot also stayed the same (not necessarily parts wise but in terms of teams involved in actually building / designing as well as assembly plants, etc...I have no research to back this up just presuming).

And I also said, Jeeps are beautiful cars, fantastic 4 wheel, early on generally nice rides, etc. My dad has a 2015 Cherokee and loves it and I'd say it drives amazingly but that doesn't mean it will do so 5 years from now. My uncle is a mechanic and the only jeep he'll swear by are manual jeep wranglers. Those things, electronics be damn, will run forever. Jeep's automatic tranny's have a lot of issues (Engines are pretty good though), but electronics and water pump are major problem areas (and just general build quality such as plastic / other parts breaking / falling off).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
You kept your car for 2+ years. If your car is exploding or having major issues during a 2 year window and that is a general trend, it has got to be a pretty big POS (and that is a general trend, you don't expect new cars to die on you in the first few years or really have any issues outside of routine maintenance..not just a rare your car issue). Jeeps though, have lots of eletrical and build quality issues that show up during 4-5 year ownership durations (let alone 10 year duration vs. what you'd see from other car companies). And despite shifts in manufacturers, a lot of tech doesn't necessarily change, it continues to get leveraged / updated. It isn't as if Dodger joined Mercedes and Mercedes, who didn't build trucks and the like, just threw in new chassi's and instantly mercedez them. Yes, changes happened but cars aren't just entirely flipped over or begin from day 1, they get modified for long periods on existing parts, etc, and with exsiting teams. While I bet some of the car flipped during the pre dodge / post dodge era, I bet a lot also stayed the same (not necessarily parts wise but in terms of teams involved in actually building / designing as well as assembly plants, etc...I have no research to back this up just presuming).

And I also said, Jeeps are beautiful cars, fantastic 4 wheel, early on generally nice rides, etc. My dad has a 2015 Cherokee and loves it and I'd say it drives amazingly but that doesn't mean it will do so 5 years from now. My uncle is a mechanic and the only jeep he'll swear by are manual jeep wranglers. Those things, electronics be damn, will run forever. Jeep's automatic tranny's have a lot of issues (Engines are pretty good though), but electronics and water pump are major problem areas (and just general build quality such as plastic / other parts breaking / falling off).

Much of the JGC comes from the Mercedes M platform actually, at least most of the WK2 does. You can even see it in the types of windows they install vs the WK model which was an unmitigated disaster. The power plant is 100% dodge though since its a hemi and I am sure thats also the water pump issue. Luckily it supposedly kicks the bucket during the warranty period. It will be interesting to see how my wife's Cherokee does after a couple of years since I do not believe that is much in the way of Mercedes as much as it is Fiat/Chrysler. The new 8 speed tranny is actually from Jaguar and it is also moving to a 9 speed. Not sure the history on that bad boy to be honest, but the Cherokee from 2000 until now has really evolved from those original chrysler origins to now being a mismash of different manufacturers. I was just point out that there isnt much similarity between that model and this one as everything including the drivetrain and electronics are different, except for the 4WD.

And I dont keep my car very long, as soon as the warranty period is up I am gone and that goes for any car I've owned from Lexus, Infiniti, Jeep etc. Seems to have worked out so far.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
And I dont keep my car very long, as soon as the warranty period is up I am gone and that goes for any car I've owned from Lexus, Infiniti, Jeep etc. Seems to have worked out so far.

Works out except for that whole payment thing ;)

My 2012 Focus just had a weird issue, engine light came on and it had visible issues shifting gears. I get it in to a dealership and they had to reboot the power and trans computers or something like that, it seemed really odd but it's working now :huh

Chrysler products, Jeep included, have had some prolific quality issues for years now, I just can't bring myself to consider them in any car shopping. Maybe now a few years after the buyout they'll start seeing improvement, not sure of that though.

Also, for whatever reason, Chrysler products always have the worst sightlines. Tight windows and blind spots extra-large.

Which is all too bad because I've driven Cherokee vehicles of different types before, usually as rentals, and I want to like them. I mostly do, but for the two major issues I mentioned earlier.

My wife and I just bought a brand new Subaru Outback. There are like 5 in inventory in all of Chicago. If you don't pay a bit of a premium for those, it's a 3-4 month wait.

I've been on the subaru bandwagon forever, god damn hipsters.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
Might as well get your water pump checked, it sounds like.

He may be over the hump, or have a different config that the one with the issues. The guy at the dealership says he overwhelmingly sees it in the hemi's for some reason and its usually under 30k miles.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Chrysler products, Jeep included, have had some prolific quality issues for years now, I just can't bring myself to consider them in any car shopping. Maybe now a few years after the buyout they'll start seeing improvement, not sure of that though.

Also, for whatever reason, Chrysler products always have the worst sightlines. Tight windows and blind spots extra-large.

Which is all too bad because I've driven Cherokee vehicles of different types before, usually as rentals, and I want to like them. I mostly do, but for the two major issues I mentioned earlier.

Like I said before, the differences between the WK2 GC and the WK and previous versions are pretty large. the entire platform was rebuilt.

My loaner yesterday was a Chrysler 200, pretty nice vehicle actually. I really really am not a fan of chrysler engines outside of the solid Jeep 6 and the hemi though.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
My wife and I just bought a brand new Subaru Outback. There are like 5 in inventory in all of Chicago. If you don't pay a bit of a premium for those, it's a 3-4 month wait.

I've been on the subaru bandwagon forever, god damn hipsters.

First car for me was a 1986 Subaru GL-10 sedan. Loved that thing. Loved it to death in fact, haha. That car went 180k miles, 5 accidents, two teenagers learning to drive on it. The fascia and add-on parts, interior stuff, was all falling aprt - but that engine would start no matter what and it was nice and quick.

One of our two cars is now a 2011 Forester. I'm definitely a Subaru fan. Excited they are finally working on some hybrids, plug ins and alternate types like that, which they've been behind on.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
Man, I've never owned a car that long, how do you guys do it? Doesnt the new models/redesigns just make you want to trade it in?

I get tempted and I love new cars but I'm patient. We cycle our cars over ~ 10 years span, so new car every 5 years and we pay it off pretty much immediately when we buy it. Love the lack of car payment and for me (as when we don't have the payment we just have a sub account that we invest in some lower risk, decent dividend / return yielding stuff so that when the 5 years comes, we are ready for the next one, I like a quality car but at same time, would rather have my money invested in the markets (and or have a nicer house) then have it sitting in a depreciating asset. Right now my Pilot is now 11 years old with about 160K miles and to be frank, I still like that a lot more then our 2013 Highlander, although the Highlander obviously gets the bulk of our usage. That said, I officially have the itch because the new Pilot is about to come out but I'm hoping our current Pilot holds out another year (at least) so that I can wait until the kinks get worked out of the new model (as well as any premium / inability to haggle) and then replace the current version.

But for me, a car should be comfortable, reliable, and get me from point A to point B. I don't get that excited over how fast it goes (rather have a lil better fuel efficiency, especially since we are a SUV family) cause I don't drive crazy (at one point I did but with the family and other things, just doesn't matter). And all the fancy electronics can be just as much a pain in the rear then anything else (although bluetooth was awesome to have integrated when we finally got the Highlander and ditched my wife's old Isuzu Rodeo that somehow actually was a good car...lasted like 12 years with little maintenance). I do look forward to some of the new features when we finally do upgrade.

Note: I should point out my wifes commute to / from work is only like 8 miles round trip so it isn't like the 2nd car gets heavy useage, etc anymore. I tend to do the heavier driving (and all weekend driving) so its just another reason I'd have a hard time justifying buying 2 sets of cars new during shorter periods. All that said, I see a lot of reasons to lease if you want the new cars, etc, and I do occasionally think about it because when some of the lease specials are out their (with negative money factors), I do my financial analysis and it gets more to the point where I could justify the extra cost.

But for me, I'd rather just stick the money into 529's, my next house downpayment (doesn't contribute a lot, but hey, every penny counts) and ensure 401K max and any other sort of tax deferral I can do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
Man, I've never owned a car that long, how do you guys do it? Doesnt the new models/redesigns just make you want to trade it in?

I am 41 years old, and have never traded in a car. Every vehicle I have had was either totaled, or ran into a repair that it wasn't worth to repair (thrown rod, blown head gasket, etc). Currently I am running a 2004 Impala the wife and I drove off of the lot with 6.8 miles on it in Jan 2004 and a 2007 Honda CRV that we got used with 20k miles on it in 2010. We might soon break that streak as the wife wants something bigger.

I think mostly, with the cost of cars/trucks, there is just other stuff I would rather spend my money on. Sure newer would be nice, but I have never had some overwhelming need for it.

Bought my first brand new car in 2002, Nissan Altima. 13 years later it's still going strong. We are hoping to get another year out of it then look to make the switch to a small SUV. (Just had our first kid in May).