2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
I am 41 years old, and have never traded in a car. Every vehicle I have had was either totaled, or ran into a repair that it wasn't worth to repair (thrown rod, blown head gasket, etc). Currently I am running a 2004 Impala the wife and I drove off of the lot with 6.8 miles on it in Jan 2004 and a 2007 Honda CRV that we got used with 20k miles on it in 2010. We might soon break that streak as the wife wants something bigger.

I think mostly, with the cost of cars/trucks, there is just other stuff I would rather spend my money on. Sure newer would be nice, but I have never had some overwhelming need for it.

I was about to say the same with me but then I remembered that I did my first trade-in a couple of years ago. I almost walked out and eventually had to talk directly to the guy at the “desk” because we were stuck only $500 apart. I eventually got what I wanted for it and it was sight unseen so I guess I can’t complain too much.

But every other car I’ve owned has either been totaled or privately sold. I’ve got two more years to pay on my current car and then it we’ll probably either trade it or pass it down to my daughter.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I just always like new cars. Once they get outdated or start to look worn I get rid of them. Personal preference I guess but I never keep them longer than 3 years, thats my max. My company also somewhat pays for that as well so for me it's just a nice luxury.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
Man, I just always like new cars. Once they get outdated or start to look worn I get rid of them. Personal preference I guess but I never keep them longer than 3 years, thats my max. My company also somewhat pays for that as well so for me it's just a nice luxury.

I am assuming you lease them then?

But then you have to deal with car salesmen every 3 years. No thanks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)

I'm lucky enough to have a close family friend as a car salesman. I bought my current car from him and had three other family members/friends buy a car from him in the last couple years. It makes the whole process smoother and more comfortable for everyone.

What's even better is that he is part of an auto group in town that can get pretty much any make/model, new or used that we want.

I have bought new almost always (since I've been able to afford it), but we keep our cars for a long while (5-7 years) and usually pay them off within a year (if not sooner).

Next buy will be in 2017, when the second kid goes to public school and we save the big daycare bill each month. But I do occasionally build out a car on a website just for fun, to see how they'd be.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 07:35 AM)

Highly recommend just working through the online / fleet managers. So much easier a process (and so not scummy). Only scummy part is when you meet with the finance people, who to be frank, are probably 10000% scummy then the car salesmen.

Depends how much your car means to you. To me it's just a machine that gets me from point A to point B. Now my dad on the other hand is a huge car guy and that household(my step mom's car and my dad's "toy" car) hasn't owned a car for more than 2 years in my life time, with exception of my dad's work car.

The truck that I have right now is 15 years old with 150k on it. The car I owned before that, I sold when it was 19 years old and had 135k on it.

I wish that I could just up and buy cars like everyone else, but I'm just not at that financial level.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Highly recommend just working through the online / fleet managers. So much easier a process (and so not scummy). Only scummy part is when you meet with the finance people, who to be frank, are probably 10000% scummy then the car salesmen.

I just went though my first dealership experience and it was so much better than I was anticipating. The online prices though email were always pretty quick and it was super easy to shop those prices around. We went into the dealership w/ the price already negotiated and were out the door in 90 minutes.

Even the warranty sales pitch wasn't all that aggressive.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
Man, I've never owned a car that long, how do you guys do it? Doesnt the new models/redesigns just make you want to trade it in?

I'm with you, Rock. I'm not a huge car guy from the engineering or mechanical standpoint, but I love and admire cars from the design standpoint. Love to look at and drive a beautiful machine.

Currently, we have a Honda Pilot (my daily driver) and an Audi A6 (my wife's daily driver). I allow my wife to take the Audi during the week because the dogs have turned the Pilot into a bit of a, well, dog car, and so I feel bad asking her to drive it. But I drive the A6 whenever I can (nights, weekends) and I just am continually more and more impressed with that car. I don't think I have ever enjoyed driving as much as I do that vehicle.

Now that the kid is here, eventually we'll probably get another SUV (I'll give that to her and take the A6 as my dd) and retire the Pilot strictly for the dogs, since I'm sure my wife won't allow me to drive the baby in it.

I've been eyeing up the '16 Q7, but not sure I can convince the wife. She likes those damn Pilots.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
And seriously, if someone can gif the mic drop at the end, please do.

The Internet, as always, has you covered.

HD2s0W.gif

I wish he hadn't smiled afterwards though. Heisenberg would never have smiled.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 05:23 PM)
Although I still want to see these closeups I am pretty sure it may be unimpressive. My eyes are so trained for high def I am assuming we arent going to see a real clear photo of it.

The scale bar they're giving is that if it flew past Earth you'd be able to make out the ponds in Central Park.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
The scale bar they're giving is that if it flew past Earth you'd be able to make out the ponds in Central Park.

Wow this is going to be really cool then. I assumed it was really old camera technology that they were using. But I guess since its freaking NASA their old technology was great too.