2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 08:34 PM)
I wouldn't see why not as long as all parties agreed on the final price when it came time to sign. There was some last-minute negotiating at the closing for our house over some dumb bs that was sorted out without delaying anything.

Want to make it quicker, have an idea of how much it would cost to fix before going in.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My production company (yes, we have things in the pipeline) are thinking about doing a podcast where we talk about film and TV (maybe a little music and books, who doesn't love to read) and interview filmmakers from/in the area.

If you know any filmmakers, please message me and send them my way.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 09:27 PM)
It depends on the buyer. Some people get really flaky

Totally this. Was the negotiation process pretty smooth? Anything weird on their end? That might tell you right there. We had a large room mirror broken before our closing, we just asked them to fix it, and they did. No big problem.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
It's literally just a drywall patch - $100?

I would be very surprised that a drywall patch would ruin the deal and if it would, you could just pay the 100 bucks. People get petty over a lot of things so you never know, but in general, I don't understand a couple hundred bucks when you are talking about a home, which I would presume is in the hundreds of thousands range. That said, worse case, just say, hey, I took this off and their are some holes, we can have someone come out if you'd like to fix it (really you aren't obligated to but it is probably the right thing to do). They very well might say...don't worry, I'm going to put my flatscreen their anyway.

We will see. Negotiations were nil, got 2k under ask all cash. They didn't even do an inspection!

They have to move out of their house tomorrow, so I'm guessing the close will happen. Heading over to the old homestead to do a few last minute things tonight.

Been a long year - in a temp townhouse now. Ready fast forward two months except for the fact that Birdie is so adorable right now that I want to pause her at 6 months for awhile, too.

Tomorrow at this time I'll be feeling pretty good. Then just have to get to closing on this 5 bed, 3 bath in glen ellyn.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
When you guys first got your driver's license, did you buy a car/did your parents get you one? Or neither

I drove my parents car until I was in my early 20s. Broke college students with broke parents can't just get cars. I finally got a car of my own when I was 22.

My parents usually had an extra car because my mom had a vehicle that she was allowed to use for personal use through her job.

The first car I was allowed to drive myself to school and work was an old POS station wagon. I don't even remember the year or the make. Just that it was brown and had a hole in the floorboard in the back seat.

I was eventually able to save up $1000 to buy my first car which was a 1988 Chevy Celebrity.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
When you guys first got your driver's license, did you buy a car/did your parents get you one? Or neither

I never owned a car until I married into one (07 Pontiac G6). Just relied on friends for rides. It was a pretty sweet deal.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 01:57 AM)

Neither. I occasionally used my mom's car, which she eventually gave to me when I was 20 because she bought a new one.

We actually gave my daughter my old car (03 Grand Prix) when we bought a new one a few years ago. But then it started acting up and not running right so we sold it for $500 and gave her the money to buy a laptop instead.

Now she drives our 03 suburban which we only use on weekends for camping. She's paying her own way through college right now so we haven't pushed her to buy herself a car quite yet.

My dad sold me his 5 year old car for like $750. Probably worth about $2,000 at the time.

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
My dad sold me his 5 year old car for like $750. Probably worth about $2,000 at the time.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
Got my mom's old Chevy Lumina a couple of months after I got my license since she needed a new car anyway. Was worth probably $1000 so a very nice gift for a 16 yo.

Thanks again for the responses. You guys live in Lombard and Woodridge? I'm just a few miles away from each of you. I guess I've never looked at the locations in posts.

Anyway, yes, that was nice of your parents.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
Are you trying to build a case for your parents to get you a car? ;)

Perhaps. I share my dad's car for now, but my argument is that since they won't let me get a job (tough courses, not much time, etc. but I think I could pull it off) then they should at least pitch in to get me a cheap car :lol:

Edited by Jose Abreu

We moved to a house in Michigan that was like 10 miles from our HS so my parents bought my brother a car that got passed down to me. I eventually bought it off of them, and then traded it in about a year after then.