2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
It used to be easy to change your own oil, but now the manufacturers can make it more difficult with filter placement.

The filter on my current car is incredibly easy to get to. It points straight down with nothing in the way.

I don't mind changing my own oil as long as the weather is decent. If it's 10 degrees and there's a foot of snow on the ground, I'll spend the extra few bucks to take it to a shop.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
The filter on my current car is incredibly easy to get to. It points straight down with nothing in the way.

I don't mind changing my own oil as long as the weather is decent. If it's 10 degrees and there's a foot of snow on the ground, I'll spend the extra few bucks to take it to a shop.

I used to have a car where you needed to remove a tire to get the filter off.

my van has the filter near the front passenger wheel well, but I can still get to it from underneath.

The only time I have ever had an issue with where something was, was when I had to replace my starter on my 85 Chevy Blazer in college. That thing was a b****, we had to take the engine off the mounts and tip it in order to get the starter out

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 07:01 AM)
I'm with you, I've never done an oil change on my own, and don't plan on it either.

I only did it once so I could say I did it once. I'd never do it again. Plus, a lot of places, by the time you get a coupon, you really don't save anything. I get my oil changed for 19.99. No way am I going to be able to do it for any less.

I did it because I went to the jiffy lube and there was a 60 minute wait so I went to Autozone and spent all day :)

Not trying to be a penny pincher, but I do like to know how to do things even if I don't end up doing them all the time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
I only did it once so I could say I did it once. I'd never do it again. Plus, a lot of places, by the time you get a coupon, you really don't save anything. I get my oil changed for 19.99. No way am I going to be able to do it for any less.

My car only needs it every 10k miles and Ford does a special for like $35 for an oil change, liquid top offs, and some inspections on the car along with tire rotations and such. Usually just do that.

My biggest problem is the fact that you go in for a $20 oil change and then they find $300 worth of other things on your car that needs to be fixed/replaced.

They need to rotate the air in the tires, fill the blinker fluid, replace the muffler bearings, etc...

Edited by Iwritecode

Usually that 20 dollar oil change is with no filter.

I get it though, some people just don't want to do it. I do as much as I can on my car to save money, by far the most money I have saved is changing my own brakes and rotors. The shops just kill you on those changes. Costs me about 90 bucks for brakes and rotors to do it myself, most shops charge 200 bucks and up. and when I do it I also rotate my tires which is another cost

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
Usually that 20 dollar oil change is with no filter.

I get it though, some people just don't want to do it. I do as much as I can on my car to save money, by far the most money I have saved is changing my own brakes and rotors. The shops just kill you on those changes. Costs me about 90 bucks for brakes and rotors to do it myself, most shops charge 200 bucks and up. and when I do it I also rotate my tires which is another cost

Yeah, I have heard this is incredibly cheap to do on your own.

It's just a personal thing. I am probably one of the least mechanically inclined individuals on the planet. I can barely install an air freshener :)

I figure my talents are better put to other things.

In fact, I would likely cause more damage trying to do things myself and cost myself more in the long run than simply entrusting my vehicles to a professional and spending a little more.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)
Yeah, I have heard this is incredibly cheap to do on your own.

It's just a personal thing. I am probably one of the least mechanically inclined individuals on the planet. I can barely install an air freshener :)

I figure my talents are better put to other things.

In fact, I would likely cause more damage trying to do things myself and cost myself more in the long run than simply entrusting my vehicles to a professional and spending a little more.

My thoughts as well. I wish I knew more about cars, cause I know about zero.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 06:54 AM)
If you can do it without discomfort, you can tape the inured and neighbor toes together.

It will help the healing to occur more quickly.

That's what I did when I broke my big toe last year. Cotton balls between it and the next toe and then some athletic tape around them.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 07:28 PM)
My thoughts as well. I wish I knew more about cars, cause I know about zero.

If you really want to know, Youtube is your friend. Mechanics post all kinds of DIY videos. Step by step, big and small projects, taking you through it all and telling you what you need.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)
If you really want to know, Youtube is your friend. Mechanics post all kinds of DIY videos. Step by step, big and small projects, taking you through it all and telling you what you need.

That's my go-to when I need to tie a tie before a wedding. :lol:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
I just had to spend $500 getting new brake lines put in. Definitely not a project I could even attempt myself. $400 of that cost was labor.

Brake lines are a b****. I tried it once, ended up letting my buddy do it for me at Midas.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Anyone here have experience building a house not in a subdivision? We're considering doing this in 3-5 years but I wouldn't even know where to start trying to find a home builder/general contractor who doesn't want to build $500k+ homes.

For the contractors, start with Angie's List.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Anyone here have experience building a house not in a subdivision? We're considering doing this in 3-5 years but I wouldn't even know where to start trying to find a home builder/general contractor who doesn't want to build $500k+ homes.

NOt sure what city it is, but sometimes if you have no clue where to start the city/town has approved contractors for houses.

Angie's list better place to start.

If you google architects I'm sure you could start narrowing down.