2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

I'd imagine there's some pretty high-grade stuff on that blimp if its part of NORAD.

eta

“Prepare to engage enemy . . . bogey's airspeed not sufficient for intercept. Suggest we get out and walk.”

dogfight.png

is there any discussion in which there is not a relevant simpsons reference?

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)

This is pure gold. Ken M's posting style even almost kind of reminds me of someone...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Random science rant.

Many of you probably heard of the "World Health Organization classifies processed meats in same category as causing cancer as cigarettes".

This has been driving me nuts all week and it's a terrible failure of science communication. The WHO setup classifies things based on "how certain they are", not "how much the risk actually increases".

Here's an example: if using a product causes a 100% cancer rate and the WHO could scientifically guarantee that using that product leads to a 100% incidence of getting cancer, that product would be put in the same category as cigarettes because we're certain that it causes cancer.

If a product causes 50% of its users to get cancer, but the science hasn't fully established the link yet, that product would be classified in a lower level than cigarettes and processed meat.

In other words, the press statement said "Processed meats put in same category as cigarettes", but being in that category said nothing about how using those products actually changed the risk of cancer. The increase is well established enough to call it certain, but it's a very tiny increase and the exact mechanisms aren't fully understood and there are lots of things like exercise that can push against it.

If there was someone out there who thought eating italian sausage was good for them then maybe there's some use in presenting it that way, but seems more likely that people are just going to say "heck with that" and ignore other recommendations (exercise, vegetables, etc.) on those grounds than anything else.

End rant.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
I just read about Grantland being shut down by ESPN...pretty disappointing. I very much enjoyed their articles. I'm guessing it didn't bring in enough revenue for ESPN's liking?

Use this thread: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;#entry3254341

Lots of conversation on it right now.

Speaking of websites being shutdown, this article on how something being digital doesn't mean it's going to be preserved forever. With something like Grantland, who knows how long ESPN will keep those servers up and running for it's legacy material?

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/arch...ost-web/409210/

If a sprawling Pulitzer Prize-nominated feature in one of the nation’s oldest newspapers can disappear from the web, anything can. “There are now no passive means of preserving digital information,” said Abby Rumsey, a writer and digital historian. In other words if you want to save something online, you have to decide to save it. Ephemerality is built into the very architecture of the web, which was intended to be a messaging system, not a library.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
http://abc7.com/news/victim-ejected-onto-5...endale/1059279/

This driver lost control of his car and his body was ejected while the car was rolling. He ended up on top of the freeway sign. This is unbelievable. RIP

I see a lot of high school aged drivers taking awful chances while driving. They tell me how great of drivers they are. SMH Is it really worth risking your life driving recklessly?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)

I had never heard of that guy but I have spent the last 5-10 minutes reading some of his comments and drawing weird looks from my random laughter at my desk :lol:

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
We are due for a mild winter after the last few.

I really hope so. If I lived in the city near my job I really wouldn't care as much but my travel times leaving in the far suburbs are ridiculous whenever it snows.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
We are due for a mild winter after the last few.

Last winter wasn't too bad. December and January were mild. February and March were awful though.

2013 was obviously horrendous in every way.

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Last winter wasn't too bad. December and January were mild. February and March were awful though.

2013 was obviously horrendous in every way.

It also snowed pretty early last year too. Plus it never seemed to stop. It was cold all of the way into May.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
It snowed every saturday in 2013 and then decided to go 20 degrees below for weeks. That was awful.

I remember having to shovel literally every other day that winter. Along w/ the absolute brutal cold and a newborn at home that wouldn't sleep, those were dark times.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
Speaking of bad weather, there is supposed to be a pretty bad storm rolling through the chicagoland area later today/tonite. South of Chicago they are saying possible straightline winds

They are talking about 20 foot waves on the eastern shores of Lake Michigan.

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
I remember having to shovel literally every other day that winter. Along w/ the absolute brutal cold and a newborn at home that wouldn't sleep, those were dark times.

Yep I just moved to the burbs with a pregnant wife and I proceeded to put on a ton of weight which really helped the shoveling. Awful AWful winter.