2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'll be yes and no with this one. Bigger house, much bigger piece of property (1 acre bordered by forest preserve on two sides). But we've completely renovated our entire house top to bottom, and the one we're hoping to buy will definitely need lots of updates over the years. Not in a "fixer upper" way, it's definitely livable, but I'm sure we'll eventually replace damn near everything like we did in our current house. We've already started a list of planned improvements so that we can prioritize what we want to do and when.

But a house that is as nicely updated as our current one that's as large as our hopeful new one and on as much property would be at least $100k more, plus like I've said elsewhere we like doing that sort of stuff anyway.

eta: what's going to suck the most is having to move twice. Our closing dates are separate by a couple of weeks right now, so we're considering getting one of those PODS containers instead of having to move it to our parents' houses and then to our new house. Either way, probably stuck living at the in-laws for a couple of weeks, but they've got plenty of space and we all get along.

Word of advice: NEVER EVER USE PUBLIC STORAGE BUILDINGS FOR ANYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT. My brother does a lot of contract work for those types of places. They flood frequently, often from sprinklers breaking, and you're basically completely SOL. Absolute last resort, and if you do, make sure you raise anything important off the ground and cover it in tarps/plastic sheeting.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)
I think it'll be yes and no with this one. Bigger house, much bigger piece of property (1 acre bordered by forest preserve on two sides). But we've completely renovated our entire house top to bottom, and the one we're hoping to buy will definitely need lots of updates over the years. Not in a "fixer upper" way, it's definitely livable, but I'm sure we'll eventually replace damn near everything like we did in our current house. We've already started a list of planned improvements so that we can prioritize what we want to do and when.

But a house that is as nicely updated as our current one that's as large as our hopeful new one and on as much property would be at least $100k more, plus like I've said elsewhere we like doing that sort of stuff anyway.

eta: what's going to suck the most is having to move twice. Our closing dates are separate by a couple of weeks right now, so we're considering getting one of those PODS containers instead of having to move it to our parents' houses and then to our new house. Either way, probably stuck living at the in-laws for a couple of weeks, but they've got plenty of space and we all get along.

Word of advice: NEVER EVER USE PUBLIC STORAGE BUILDINGS FOR ANYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT. My brother does a lot of contract work for those types of places. They flood frequently, often from sprinklers breaking, and you're basically completely SOL. Absolute last resort, and if you do, make sure you raise anything important off the ground and cover it in tarps/plastic sheeting.

SS, just a word of advice here:

I was dealing with the exact situation when I sold my last home. I used Pods and they came and dropped off the Pod and we filled it with all our things. MAKE SURE YOU SCHEDULE THE DATE FOR THEM TO PICK IT UP PRIOR TO THEM DROPPING IT OFF AT YOUR CURRENT HOUSE.

These idiots didn't bother to tell me there was a several week lead time needed to schedule the pickup of my Pod prior to dropping it off. My house was scheduled to close on May 31st or something and they were saying they couldn't get it til June 7th or something. I was like "Do you not understand I will no longer own the property upon which your Pod (and all my belongings) sit after May 31st? I had to call a million people and run things up the chain to someone who finally arranged for the thing to be picked up prior to the closing date of the property. It was an absolute nightmare.

Good advice, we're going to have to figure out the timing and logistics for sure. Luckily, we should be closing on our sale right after the new year, so my wife will have two weeks off to pack prior to that.

Did you have them take it to one of their facilities for temporary storage while you were between houses?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
Good advice, we're going to have to figure out the timing and logistics for sure. Luckily, we should be closing on our sale right after the new year, so my wife will have two weeks off to pack prior to that.

Did you have them take it to one of their facilities for temporary storage while you were between houses?

Yes. We had just a long weekend type gap, so they kept it at their storage facility for 3 days or so and then re-delivered it.

This was 2 years ago. I looked at using them when I moved my parents out here this summer and they seem to have improved their logistics quite a bit. My dad convinced me to use some other company called "U-Pack" because they were the cheapest, but that was a bad decision for a cross-country move. All kinds of crap was damaged because the freight trucks did not have soft suspensions.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)

You guys in the same area out west? We've been looking in Lemont a little. Big homes, huge properties, low taxes for the same as a moderately small house with high taxes in La Grange. The freakin' commute though. All comes down to the commute.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
Yeah we have an offer accepted on another house nearby. Gotta see how the home inspection and any possible issues from that goes.

Oh God, I just finished this. So much work. We moved into our new home last month.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
SS, just a word of advice here:

I was dealing with the exact situation when I sold my last home. I used Pods and they came and dropped off the Pod and we filled it with all our things. MAKE SURE YOU SCHEDULE THE DATE FOR THEM TO PICK IT UP PRIOR TO THEM DROPPING IT OFF AT YOUR CURRENT HOUSE.

These idiots didn't bother to tell me there was a several week lead time needed to schedule the pickup of my Pod prior to dropping it off. My house was scheduled to close on May 31st or something and they were saying they couldn't get it til June 7th or something. I was like "Do you not understand I will no longer own the property upon which your Pod (and all my belongings) sit after May 31st? I had to call a million people and run things up the chain to someone who finally arranged for the thing to be picked up prior to the closing date of the property. It was an absolute nightmare.

I had a great experience with PODs. Just planned it out properly and gave them all the info up front. ;)

They urge you to schedule the pickup day when you schedule the dropoff. Hell, they ask like 30 times.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
I had a great experience with PODs. Just planned it out properly and gave them all the info up front. ;)

They urge you to schedule the pickup day when you schedule the dropoff. Hell, they ask like 30 times.

Yeah, they were much better when I spoke with them this summer than they were back in May of '13.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
If you like Lemont and the surrounding areas, make sure you stay on the Will County side of the border. Cook county is a pain to live in. I'm from a neighboring suburb of Lemont and commute to the West Loop. 35 minutes when it's not rush hour, 60-90 minutes when it's rush hour.

I presume you take I-55?

Metra only has like 3 trains per morning/evening rush. Not very flexible. The problem is my wife has to drive to Rush everyday. Right now it's 45 min with rush hour traffic, like 20 without. So that's be quite the bump up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
I presume you take I-55?

Metra only has like 3 trains per morning/evening rush. Not very flexible. The problem is my wife has to drive to Rush everyday. Right now it's 45 min with rush hour traffic, like 20 without. So that's be quite the bump up.

I live in Homer Glen which is little further South than Lemont and I too travel to Rush everyday. If I have the luxury to not have to drop my kids off in the city then it takes me about an hour and ten minutes to get to work (on the low end). It will give her that 20-40 extra minutes of travel time that doesn't seem like much as it stands alone but it adds up and after a while it is rough. She will complain about the travel time for sure.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
HG has a great mix. Outside of Cook County but just over the edge. Not too far from the city. Good mix of commerce and forrest preserves. Good school districts. It's gotta be one of the better SW suburbs all things considered.

When we lived in Chicago we always traveled to the suburbs on the weekend for shopping, movies, restaurants etc...now that we live in Homer we have all the places that we used to have to travel to really close to us. Orland, LaGrange, Bolingbrook and even the northern suburbs are easier to get to because we can hop on 294 and pass up all the traffic we used to hit going through the Loop congestion. Homer is an awesome place to live.

But damn, during the week in my work travel it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.