2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
We have some friends that moved out to LA a year ago but are gonna move back to Chicago because the real estate. If they lived where they wanted to they would be catching up forever or other places they could afford all would require paying for private schooling for future children. They both have pretty good jobs, so I can only imagine how tough it is.

Yeah; Depending on where in LA, if you had a choice, you would definitely want to send your kids to private school. In Orange County, the public schools are all pretty good (well mostly, there are always certain pockets that aren't as good), so that is a plus, but I hate all things LA and would never move there (unless someone wanted to triple my pay...in which case I'd move with a big smile, haha). You do get a lot of open space, parks, ability to do things outdoors year round, etc, and there are a heck of a lot of jobs out here as well, but yeah, I always dream of a day that all my family and friends want to move out of state (and that my job would let me just work virtually, haha).

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol @ living in IL. Seriously, Lake County Indiana is as much of a commute as any of the suburbs at a fraction of the price in every single way possible. Property taxes for your home are capped at 1% of net assessed value of your house. A $150k house can't go over over $1500 a year in taxes. Really that number is more like $1000 because of your deductions. Income tax is 3.4%. Usage taxes are all way lower except for licence plates, and even that isn't bad except if you have a really expensive car. Property values are also lower.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
Yes, but you live in Indiana.

You always should have been paying tax on Amazon etc. items, it's just that nobody ever did.

Seriously NW Indiana is great. I get all of the cheap of Indiana, and all of the great of living close to Chicago. it is the best of both worlds. I live 5 minutes from Lake Michigan and paid $80k for my house, get great beach access, and wilderness hiking on top of being an hour from downtown Chicago. My property taxes were $400 last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Seriously NW Indiana is great. I get all of the cheap of Indiana, and all of the great of living close to Chicago. it is the best of both worlds. I live 5 minutes from Lake Michigan and paid $80k for my house, get great beach access, and wilderness hiking on top of being an hour from downtown Chicago. My property taxes were $400 last year.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
It is a big reason why even when I was working in Chicago for 15 years, I never left. Most of the people I knew in the City of Chicago paid that... per month.. or more.

I probably have a longer travel time than those that live in NWI yet still paying the Chicago expense. Hmmmmmmm that's my own fault though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)

I hate you.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
I probably have a longer travel time than those that live in NWI yet still paying the Chicago expense. Hmmmmmmm that's my own fault though.

You can get to the first train stop in IN in 45 minutes. Driving it is about 25 minutes on a good traffic day. I live an hour drive out, or an hour and a half on the train.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
You can get to the first train stop in IN in 45 minutes. Driving it is about 25 minutes on a good traffic day. I live an hour drive out, or an hour and a half on the train.

A lot of people at my office (Lake Forest) live in Wisconsin, kind of the same deal as NWI.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)

This is actually the second crash for Transasia with the same plane type in the last six months, and fourth for the airline with the same plane type since 1995. With the way it went down, it's amazing that there were survivors. If I were them, I'd go to the closest place that sells lotto tickets and empty my wallet on them. Same goes for the two people in the taxi it hit.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
South Eastern Asia is quickly passing Russia as having the world's most dangerous airlines

No kidding, im sure some people will be losing their job soon. Everytime I see that video i think to myself "that taxi driver probably needed a new pair of shorts"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
No kidding, im sure some people will be losing their job soon. Everytime I see that video i think to myself "that taxi driver probably needed a new pair of shorts"

:lolhitting

I thought to myself if that taxi was THAT unlucky to get clipped by an airplane you would think fate would have just taken him out all together with that one. But I presume it could go the other way with luck as well, as it did.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 10:55 PM)
I'm moving apartments soon, anyone know where to get a lot of boxes on the cheap?

Local uhaul places will sell you boxes, they buy back what you don't use. If you just need a handful, then any hardware store should have a variety in stock.