2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of California geographically is inexpensive to live in, relatively. It's just the entire coastline and the big cities (mostly) that aren't. If you want to live in some desert down in SoCal a long ways from the ocean, or a mountain town in northern Cali, you can find cheap housing.

Much of California geographically is inexpensive to live in, relatively. It's just the entire coastline and the big cities (mostly) that aren't. If you want to live in some desert down in SoCal a long ways from the ocean, or a mountain town in northern Cali, you can find cheap housing.

I spent a week in Stockton once. If that's where I have to go to find affordable housing in California, I'd rather just die.

I thought we had a thread about bowling but I can’t find it so I’ll just put my comments here.

My daughter is in 7th grade and bowling for her school (7th and 8th graders only). There are two varsity teams and one JV team. The “A” varsity team is the better team overall and is made up of 4 8th graders. The “B” varsity team has 2 in 7th grade (including my daughter) and two in 8th.

They are putting together a team to go to a state tournament and it is supposed to be made up of the 5 best bowlers. Well there is lots of drama going around because two of the bowlers on the “B” team have a better average than one of the bowlers on the “A” team.

The 5 picked were the 4 from the “A” team and one 8th grader from the “B” team. My daughter got left off even though she is top 5 based on average.

We were told it’s because she’s in 7th grade. I don’t think that should matter. If she’s the better bowler, she should go. I’ve basically kept my mouth shut because I don’t want to start a war and there’s already drama over which of the 5 that were picked should be the sub.

If the four on the "A" team were the four best bowlers it would make sense. But they aren't.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
I thought we had a thread about bowling but I can’t find it so I’ll just put my comments here.

My daughter is in 7th grade and bowling for her school (7th and 8th graders only). There are two varsity teams and one JV team. The “A” varsity team is the better team overall and is made up of 4 8th graders. The “B” varsity team has 2 in 7th grade (including my daughter) and two in 8th.

They are putting together a team to go to a state tournament and it is supposed to be made up of the 5 best bowlers. Well there is lots of drama going around because two of the bowlers on the “B” team have a better average than one of the bowlers on the “A” team.

The 5 picked were the 4 from the “A” team and one 8th grader from the “B” team. My daughter got left off even though she is top 5 based on average.

We were told it’s because she’s in 7th grade. I don’t think that should matter. If she’s the better bowler, she should go. I’ve basically kept my mouth shut because I don’t want to start a war and there’s already drama over which of the 5 that were picked should be the sub.

If the four on the "A" team were the four best bowlers it would make sense. But they aren't.

For younger kids like that (Junior High), you have to balance competitiveness with honor, if you will. Hard thing to do. And I suppose 7th/8th graders are right on that cusp, where High School sports pretty much lose any leftover "everyone plays" or "older kids get their shot" stuff, and then the ones even younger in elementary school it is more participatory. Seems like your daughter is caught in between.

And its probably a case where the 8th graders that they are putting on the A team may have been in the same situation last year as your daughter is in this year so its a matter of making up for it with them. It really should just be the 8th grade team and then 7th grade team, not the A and B team if its going to be that way.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
And its probably a case where the 8th graders that they are putting on the A team may have been in the same situation last year as your daughter is in this year so its a matter of making up for it with them. It really should just be the 8th grade team and then 7th grade team, not the A and B team if its going to be that way.

I know at least one of the girls going also went last year when she was in 7th grade so I don't think their grade level matters. I can see the case being made for the other girl being slightly better and more consistent which is why I'm not making a huge deal about it. Their current averages are based on 8 games plus a couple of tournaments, so it may be a sample size issue too.

It just seems like girls sports = drama. She plays softball during the summer and there always seem to be some sort of drama there too. I don't remember having that many issues when I played.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
I know at least one of the girls going also went last year when she was in 7th grade so I don't think their grade level matters. I can see the case being made for the other girl being slightly better and more consistent which is why I'm not making a huge deal about it. Their current averages are based on 8 games plus a couple of tournaments, so it may be a sample size issue too.

It just seems like girls sports = drama. She plays softball during the summer and there always seem to be some sort of drama there too. I don't remember having that many issues when I played.

As an IHSA athlete, I can confirm that there is drama on almost every team now, both boys and girls.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I've never had a Slurpee. It is something you can store in your freezer for later?

you can, not nearly as good after you do it though. Kind of like freezing a blizzard from dairy queen

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
Yeah, that was a disaster for them.

worked out for me! :D

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
worked out for me! :D

People were bringing the biggest containers and only paying the $1.49 or whatever. I don't think 7-11 will be doing it again :lol:

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
People were bringing the biggest containers and only paying the $1.49 or whatever. I don't think 7-11 will be doing it again :lol:

Yea, it was weird. They had a 10 inch hold cutout display and if you could fit it in the hole you could fill it up. But then people were filling things like kids swimming pools and gross things like toilets and bongs. They must have just said "here is 20 bucks let me fill this for a picture"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Yea, it was weird. They had a 10 inch hold cutout display and if you could fit it in the hole you could fill it up. But then people were filling things like kids swimming pools and gross things like toilets and bongs. They must have just said "here is 20 bucks let me fill this for a picture"

Man people ruin everything.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)

You must have read this