2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess this goes in the Films thread, but Louis CK's newest stand-up "Live at the Comedy Store" is just amazing. He's my favorite of all-time, so I'm a little biased, but I think this was his best standup in years. I think this may rank 3rd after Chewed Up and Shameless for him.

Just like all his stuff, you can only get it on his website, and it's $5. Totally worth that $5 to download. Highly, highly recommend. I had tears in my eyes during his rat f***ing joke towards the end.

https://www.louisck.net/purchase/live-at-the-comedy-store

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
Honestly not sure about Scientology, but LDF is right on the money.

I disagree. It wasn't a leading role, but audiences (including fans of the mega-popular book) seemed to certainly accept NPH playing the key part of a hetero creep in "Gone Girl," just as TV audiences accepted him playing straight in HIMYM.

If its a disqualifier, its only for a small segment of roles (romantic comedies, etc.) that Travolta no longer fits anyway.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
I disagree. It wasn't a leading role, but audiences (including fans of the mega-popular book) seemed to certainly accept NPH playing the key part of a hetero creep in "Gone Girl," just as TV audiences accepted him playing straight in HIMYM.

If its a disqualifier, its only for a small segment of roles (romantic comedies, etc.) that Travolta no longer fits anyway.

that is not the point, while i do understand what you are saying, in today's society, "the don't ask, don't tell," rule still applies.

there are some great actors and actress that believes that there is still perception of not like or accepting gays in today's society. even thou it as come a long way.

there are many examples i can use, but it will take forever. i am part of a Louisiana, mardi gras krewe which is the 2nd most popular krewe in LA and 1/2 are gay, yet they consider it the gay krewe. btw, for a disclaimer sake i am not gay, but hanging around them is no different than anyone else. the stupid prejudices is just as bad as racial.

going about actors, esp Travolta, whatever his real life style is, and all the other actors and actress, it doesn't affect their ability to act. so who cares.

this is almost like the color barrier of sports.

btw, why can't Travolta play a romantic role????

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
Travolta can come of the closet... I won't hate him because he is gay, I will hate him for putting me through things like Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

ahh i hated him for putting me thru battlefield earth and swordfish. those were date night movies for me and it was a miserable night. i wasn't sure if it was my date or the movie that killed it.

however basic is a great movie.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
ahh i hated him for putting me thru battlefield earth and swordfish. those were date night movies for me and it was a miserable night. i was sure if it was my date or the movie that killed it.

however basic is a great movie.

At least there was Halle Berry in her prime.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
Those were nothing compared to Battlefield Earth and Face-Off.

Battlefield Earth was a 1000 page book, which was top notch Sci-Fi. There was no way you were making that into a two hour movie without it sucking. It didn't matter who starred in it, it wasn't going to be good.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
btw, why can't Travolta play a romantic role????

Its not that he can't, but that most of those roles skew much younger. There are exceptions, but for the most part, they don't make many romantic comedies with actors in their 60s.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Battlefield Earth was a 1000 page book, which was top notch Sci-Fi. There was no way you were making that into a two hour movie without it sucking. It didn't matter who starred in it, it wasn't going to be good.

On that note I read something a couple weeks ago that Jupiter Ascending was god awful but that a 4 hour director cut existed and was a sci-fi masterpiece.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
On that note I read something a couple weeks ago that Jupiter Ascending was god awful but that a 4 hour director cut existed and was a sci-fi masterpiece.

Didn't something like that happen with Dune? The movie release was heavily edited down and people hated it, but the everyone loved the directors cut?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)

I will keep that in mind. I love good Sci-Fi, but it is hard to find these days. Mostly it has turned into blowing stuff up and chase scenes for two hours, but with Aliens instead of spies or cars.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
Its not that he can't, but that most of those roles skew much younger. There are exceptions, but for the most part, they don't make many romantic comedies with actors in their 60s.

Nicholson and Keaton...Alec Baldwin? Michael Douglas? Pierce Brosnan?

Edited by caulfield12