2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Jesus, Star War nerds are out in full effect today. My Twitter is chalked full of it. Why is there so much excitement for franchise that (1) hasn't been good for decades and (2) was always a bit overrated and has been passed, numerous times, by other, better franchises/stories?

What make believe and delusional world do you live in?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
I'm excited for even a chance that we can erase from recent memory those three piles of steaming crap that Lucas put out for Episodes 1-3. I feel pretty confident we'll get that, but it wouldn't be hard to do.

I watched that last trailer and felt like I was watching a nostalgia piece rather than a new interesting story. The last time I saw Abrams do something that was "too much of a nostalgia piece" it was Into Darkness and that was a fairly weak movie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
I watched that last trailer and felt like I was watching a nostalgia piece rather than a new interesting story. The last time I saw Abrams do something that was "too much of a nostalgia piece" it was Into Darkness and that was a fairly weak movie.

Could be. Honestly I consider Into Darkness to be a much better film than any of the Episode 1-3 Star Wars movies. But again, that's not a high bar to set. The level of irritating actors, laughable CGI, empty characters and TV-series-level plot points in those three movies made them nearly unwatchable for me.

I did like the cool light sabre fights in the first one involving Darth Maul. Not sure that one had a single other redeeming quality.

Im excited for star wars because I read a lot of the post RotJ books, and I have a pretty good idea where the story is going. And it certainly is not a nostalgia piece(if I am right), its a new start, and a very good one at that.

The new Star Wars movie looks awesome.

Then they also released a teaser for the OTHER new Star Wars movie called "Rogue One", which is an anthology movie set between Episodes III and IV, and is about a band of rebel fighters who work to steal the plans of the Death Star. Apparently there will be no Jedis in the movie, because they want it as realistic a Star Wars movie as they can make. It's going to be a hardcore war movie in the vein of Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, etc. I think that's an interesting take that may bring in viewers who aren't big Star Wars fans, but do enjoy war movies.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
The new Star Wars movie looks awesome.

Then they also released a teaser for the OTHER new Star Wars movie called "Rogue One", which is an anthology movie set between Episodes III and IV, and is about a band of rebel fighters who work to steal the plans of the Death Star. Apparently there will be no Jedis in the movie, because they want it as realistic a Star Wars movie as they can make. It's going to be a hardcore war movie in the vein of Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, etc. I think that's an interesting take that may bring in viewers who aren't big Star Wars fans, but do enjoy war movies.

Is that Rogue One concept trailer online? I can't find it, I thought it was just shown at a conference or something.

At this point, I prefer to pretend the PT never existed. They really are just bad movies in just about every way imaginable. Redlettermedia did a great job of illustrating it, especially the focus being on Anakin. It really should have been Obi Wan's story.

I'm probably more interested in Rogue One than Episode VII, though I can't wait for both. A gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe directed by Gareth Edwards? Yeah, I'm in. Apparently they've even hired some of the production team from Saving Private Ryan.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Is that Rogue One concept trailer online? I can't find it, I thought it was just shown at a conference or something.

Yeah, but just cams. It's just a camera shot of Yavin (maybe) with the Death Star in the background and audio of soldiers talking.

I severely doubt any of you would make this mistake, but incase you might, Id recommend not seeing Unfriended. my god I cant believe how bad that movie was. It wasnt even so bad its funny, its just bad. Half way through the movie the whole theater just started talking amongst themselves because it was so bad.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
I severely doubt any of you would make this mistake, but incase you might, Id recommend not seeing Unfriended. my god I cant believe how bad that movie was. It wasnt even so bad its funny, its just bad. Half way through the movie the whole theater just started talking amongst themselves because it was so bad.

I've honestly never even heard of it. Sounds like a comedy.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
At this point, I prefer to pretend the PT never existed. They really are just bad movies in just about every way imaginable. Redlettermedia did a great job of illustrating it, especially the focus being on Anakin. It really should have been Obi Wan's story.

Episode III was a good movie. I'd rank it as the third best in the series; not as good as the first original two, but significantly above RotJ. Only Eps 1 and 2 were crap.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
Episode III was a good movie. I'd rank it as the third best in the series; not as good as the first original two, but significantly above RotJ. Only Eps 1 and 2 were crap.

Episode III was crap too. Anakin's turn to Vader could hardly have been handled worse.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
Episode III was crap too. Anakin's turn to Vader could hardly have been handled worse.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'll agree to disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but mine isn't a fringe one:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-war...f-the-sith-2005

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)

It was really bad too. The pacing was bad. The tone was inconsistent. The acting and dialogue were cringeworthy. I tried to trick myself into liking it for a long time, but at some point, I just had to admit it was bad too.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)

I'm probably more interested in Rogue One than Episode VII, though I can't wait for both. A gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe directed by Gareth Edwards? Yeah, I'm in. Apparently they've even hired some of the production team from Saving Private Ryan.

Both of these sound fantastic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
http://chicagoist.com/2015/04/17/leaked_ba..._dawn_of_ju.php

Batman vs Superman trailer leaked

Hopefully it's as awesome as it looks.

Went to the IMAX event downtown and as a token of appreciation WB gave us the two posters and a ticket to a see a early screening of the movie before it comes out, I think a week or 10 days before. And we got to see Superman and Batman go at it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)

That was the point of the trailer, it was meant to evoke nostalgia. This is JJ Abrams that we're talking about, he is one of the most secretive filmmakers on the planet, the fact that they gave no details about the actual plot of the movie was done on purpose.

People like to say 'don't judge a book by the cover', the same applies to movies, 'don't judge a movie by its trailer/title.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Im excited for star wars because I read a lot of the post RotJ books, and I have a pretty good idea where the story is going. And it certainly is not a nostalgia piece(if I am right), its a new start, and a very good one at that.

The entire Expanded Universe (EU) has been thrown out, meaning that they are no longer considered to be canon. The Force Awakens is an original story by JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas.