2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Re: age, one thing is that kids can watch those movies. They aren't particularly violent and obviously very little language. So it's one of those movies you can watch when you are young and feel like its an adult movie.

2) The whole mid-late 90s re-release in theaters. Lots of parents took their kids to those. Unfortunately it had all of those stupid extra scenes.

It's just hard not to have seen starwars as it has basically had a theatrical release in every decade at this point.

First movie I ever saw in a theater was ANH, I was 4 or 5 and I still have the ticket stubs.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, there are some super defensive responses here to Jenks. I'm kind of with him. I was born in 1983 and saw the movies when I was around 13ish. They're good. I enjoyed them. But I've seen them maybe twice each, and that's enough. I'm not trying to criticize at all, but I have also wondered why the extreme fandom that has followed that franchise for so long has been so huge. Again, not criticizing at all, I am/have been) obsessed with stuff like that before. It's just amazing to me how it's lasted so long for some people. It's like Game of Thrones or Marvel on super steroids. I do get it for people around when they first came out, but anyone my age or younger does surprise me too.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
Wow, there are some super defensive responses here to Jenks. I'm kind of with him. I was born in 1983 and saw the movies when I was around 13ish. They're good. I enjoyed them. But I've seen them maybe twice each, and that's enough. I'm not trying to criticize at all, but I have also wondered why the extreme fandom that has followed that franchise for so long has been so huge. Again, not criticizing at all, I am/have been) obsessed with stuff like that before. It's just amazing to me how it's lasted so long for some people. It's like Game of Thrones or Marvel on super steroids. I do get it for people around when they first came out, but anyone my age or younger does surprise me too.

Yeah, I don't know. I think being super into star wars has been such a pop culture thing itself (kevin smith films, etc), and it being such an american experience movie that people bring it up a lot, talk about references to it. But yeah, not sure anyone could explain why this is the movie that can cause such devotion 40-50 years later.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)

Yeah I read that. I agree with the vast majority of what he says, although not to the same degree. The Darth Vader being a total scary bad ass at first and then transitioning to a 2nd in command puss never made sense to me, but I figured, you know, the Force from the emperor or whatever.

Has anyone re-watched the movies in that order mentioned in the comments? IV, V, I (or skip it), II, III, VI. I wonder if that helps.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Yeah I read that. I agree with the vast majority of what he says, although not to the same degree. The Darth Vader being a total scary bad ass at first and then transitioning to a 2nd in command puss never made sense to me, but I figured, you know, the Force from the emperor or whatever.

Has anyone re-watched the movies in that order mentioned in the comments? IV, V, I (or skip it), II, III, VI. I wonder if that helps.

Thats how I watch them. Its called machete order.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Horrible and at-times even bigoted writing and characters. Awful special effects - impressive in ability but totally missing the mark in impact. Irritating lead actors, especially both of the Anakins.

And... Jar Jar.

C'mon, he's the best character in the whole series!

Yeah, pretty much that.

Bad acting - I think a lot of it had to do with bad writing.

CGI - I realize it was at the start of CGI and most movies from that time didn't look good, but he just went so overboard with it. The movies feel like you are watching a cartoon.

I think he started to fix some of that by Episode III, but it was too late.

Shame, because I think the story is really good and worth telling, but just poor execution.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Horrible and at-times even bigoted writing and characters. Awful special effects - impressive in ability but totally missing the mark in impact. Irritating lead actors, especially both of the Anakins.

And... Jar Jar.

Casting decisions have been pretty bad too. Both Anakins. Holy crap talk about a swing and a miss.

the first movies had a lot of silly dialogue but charismatic actors to pull it off.

The 1,2,3 movies brought on awful child actors to spew out worse silly dialogue. It also looked some how worse in special effects than the first, as it hit some sort of uncanny valley where he was so impressed by what computers could do he made something look completely fake.

They were the worst movies I've ever seen. You basically only watched to see the plot points you expected from the later movies, and they hit and were completely unsatisfying.

I see where Jenks is coming from. I'm 43 and watched 4,5 and 6 at the theatre when they came out and loved them. However, I tried watching Episode 1 after it came out on DVD and I did not like it at all, couldn't even sit through the entire movie and turned it off. Never bothered with episodes 2 and 3 since I thought #1 sucked.