2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
I would just make 3 a deep space sleep dream. If you want to bring those actors back, just pretend it didnt happen

Could do that.

By the way, if you want to feel old... Sigourney Weaver is now 65 years old (turns 66 in October), and Michael Biehn is 59 (turns 60 in July). Wow.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
Could do that.

By the way, if you want to feel old... Sigourney Weaver is now 65 years old (turns 66 in October), and Michael Biehn is 59 (turns 60 in July). Wow.

One of them looks their age, the other does not

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
50 Shades of Grey will sink like the Titanic in the second week, probably down 75%. Then the big question becomes whether a sequel will be profitable enough. And should they go all-out and do an NC-17 sequel and cut the budget by 75%, not put it into theatres via wide release and hope to make it back by DVD sales/netflix/rentals, etc.

For once this random point appears accurate, down just about 75% and apparently one of/possibly the largest week to week drop in movie history.

Theory of Everything, oh my god this movie so f***ing terrible. Well acted, I guess, but that's about it. Why do I give a s*** about Stephen Hawking's personal life again? I thought it would be about his work but that's pretty much only worth a vague few lines apparently for one of the most brilliant people to ever live.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Theory of Everything, oh my god this movie so f***ing terrible. Well acted, I guess, but that's about it. Why do I give a s*** about Stephen Hawking's personal life again? I thought it would be about his work but that's pretty much only worth a vague few lines apparently for one of the most brilliant people to ever live.

Watched it last night, and essentially could not agree more

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)

It's the one nominated movie I just haven't been able to force myself to pay $8 to see. Maybe Redbox.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 01:15 AM)
I thought Birdman was just ok.

I liked the acting, but it was a little long. Dragged a little.

your opinion is valid. the movie acting was, in my opinion great. the pace is like those of the indie's movies of the late 50's early 60's black and white.

it is for me a 1 time kind of a movie. i am glad michael keaton made or can make his comeback.

whiplash with the jazz music is great.... great acting.

I think history will show that Birdman was the better pick over Boyhood.

Unfortunate for Keaton not to get the best actor, but they picked up pretty much everything else.

For foreign movies, Ida and Leviathan were the two best IMO.

Imitation Game got credit for its adapted screenplay, which was nice to see. Overall, that movie was simply better than The Theory of Everything.

Btw, Miles Teller living the dream with his new "model/actress" girlfriend. And cool Jack Black rant at the beginning.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 01:52 AM)
I think history will show that Birdman was the better pick over Boyhood.

Unfortunate for Keaton not to get the best actor, but they picked up pretty much everything else.

I enjoyed Whiplash the most out of all them and think it was the Shawshank of this Oscars. Meaning in time, it will be the most rewatchable out of this years nominees and most quotable. Also think Simmons performance was the best of the year in any category. Leading or Supporting.

Can't argue with Birdman. It really was an accomplishment all the way around.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 05:54 AM)
I enjoyed Whiplash the most out of all them and think it was the Shawshank of this Oscars. Meaning in time, it will be the most rewatchable out of this years nominees and most quotable. Also think Simmons performance was the best of the year in any category. Leading or Supporting.

Can't argue with Birdman. It really was an accomplishment all the way around.

I also think Whiplash is indicative of a cultural "sea change" in the way that pushing kids is perceived.

The other side of it is books like "Tiger Mom" about how the US is just too soft in the way we raise our children...that the path to excellence in the case of many breakthroughs is a mentor that pushed that person to the edge and beyond what they believed they were capable of.

Definitely, if you have a teenager...it's relevant, not just for the story or for jazz/music aficionados.

It's like Mr. Holland's Opus for modern times.

Also, just finished watching CITIZENFOUR. Have the same reaction as the Oscars audience....not sure whether to praise him as a hero or vilify him as a villain. Would tend to side with the "heroic" take, but of course he broke the law (even though he was fighting against what he believed to be an unconstitutional overreaching of the Patriot Act). Very complicated situation. It's not unlike that doc you referenced early (and which I thought was even better), The Internet's Own Boy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:13 AM)
Also, just finished watching CITIZENFOUR. Have the same reaction as the Oscars audience....not sure whether to praise him as a hero or vilify him as a villain. Would tend to side with the "heroic" take, but of course he broke the law (even though he was fighting against what he believed to be an unconstitutional overreaching of the Patriot Act). Very complicated situation. It's not unlike that doc you referenced early (and which I thought was even better), The Internet's Own Boy.

Loved Internet's Own Boy. DVRing CitizenFour tonight. Excited about it. My buddy really hyped it up for me so hope my expectations aren't too high.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)
Loved Internet's Own Boy. DVRing CitizenFour tonight. Excited about it. My buddy really hyped it up for me so hope my expectations aren't too high.

It's not really exciting...more of a "behind the scenes" look at the whole situation. It still leaves a lot of questions unanswered about Snowden himself.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)
Nice to see Travolta topped his embarrassing misspeak from last year with an even more awkward moment with Menzel, lol

That guy is uber creepy. He practically raped Scarlett on the red carpet.

NPH ripping on the director of the short doc (whose son committed suicide, and the movie was about programs to remedy that) for her fashion choice wasn't exactly the best.

Terrence Howard's getting a lot of mentions for his "overlove" or infatuation with 3 of the best picture nominations....everyone speculating something went wrong with the teleprompter and he was trying to wing it and went all emotional/dramatic as a way to fight through it. You could sense that he was totally lost there a moment and then got back with his pre-programmed speech.

Finally, I wonder if Travolta's trying to act "too cool" these days because of all the whispers out there about his possibly being gay, Scientology, etc.? It's like he is trying to force his way back into relevancy by his behavior, but it's just icky. Idina Menzel seemed to have a good sense of humor about it...basically, those two will always be connected together forever now, so why not just laugh it off? If it was an episode of Criminal Minds and everything in his life since Battleship Earth was evidence, he'd be checking off 2-3 boxes on the serial killer list.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
Glad Birdman took Best Picture among other things- well deserved. It was my second favorite of the year behind Interstellar, though I could see why one was nominated for just about everything and the other wasn't. Happy to see that Nation's Pride won jack s***- also well deserved.

i love birdman but really liked interstellar, but that ending..... i just don't know.