8. Nightcrawler

7. Birdman

6. Chef

5. Life Itself

4. Captain America 2: Winter Soldier

3. Gone Girl

2. Snowpiercer

1. Whiplash

Haven't seen Selma, Inherent Vice, American Sniper, Big Eyes, some others.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:35 AM)
My Top Ten Movies of 2014:

10. Locke

9. Foxcatcher

8. Nightcrawler

7. Birdman

6. Chef

5. Life Itself

4. Captain America 2: Winter Soldier

3. Gone Girl

2. Snowpiercer

1. Whiplash

Haven't seen Selma, Inherent Vice, American Sniper, Big Eyes, some others.

Am going to watch American Sniper later tonight.

Wild, Two Days/One Night, Obvious Child and A Most Violent Year are also on the list, as well as the last Hobbit movie.

It sucks here in China because we JUST got Night at the Museum 3 (sigh) and Hunger Games won't come out until February. There's quite a bit of interest in 50 Shades of Grey but that movie will never make it past the censors in the mainland.

No BOYHOOD?

Finally, "Frank Jodorowsky's DUNE" is way out there but a must-see for anyone who loves film.

1. Selma

2. Boyhood

3. Snowpiercer

4. Whiplash

5. Captain America

6. Chef

7. Birdman

8. Gone Girl

9. Foxcatcher

10. The Taking of Tiger Mountain (Chinese movie, Tsui Hark)

I haven't seen The Imitation Game yet either, that would PROBABLY go into the Top 10 from everything I've read.

Also, Love is Strange is a nice little indie dramedy with John Lithgow and Alfred Molina as a couple who get separated by circumstances after waiting 20 years to get married. Marisa Tomei cameo.

Saw Wild yesterday. Meh.

The flashbacks are all over the place and I had problems placing things when they took place. Should've made those more linear. If I watched again, I maybe able to get a better grasp on it. It's very meh. Good but not great.

I appreciated Boyhood but didn't love it. I'd watch it again on HBO but just didn't connect with me. Maybe if more happened to the kid throughout his life. I don't know.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
For those that care, which is not many in this thread, a Batman vs Superman trailer is supposed to come out when Jupiter Ascending is released.

Garbage before garbage. ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
For those that care, which is not many in this thread, a Batman vs Superman trailer is supposed to come out when Jupiter Ascending is released.

Can't wait! Although there is no way I'm seeing Jupiter Ascending, so I hope it gets leaked online.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
Garbage before garbage. ;)

I cant think of a director (or directors) that hit the scene with such a good movie like the Matrix only to follow it with as many duds as the Wachowskis have. And somehow studios keep writing huge checks to them

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I cant think of a director (or directors) that hit the scene with such a good movie like the Matrix only to follow it with as many duds as the Wachowskis have. And somehow studios keep writing huge checks to them

M. Night Shyamalan?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)

V for Vendetta?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
And Signs until the last 15 or 20 minutes.

Some of his later efforts such as The Lady in the Water and especially The Last Airbender were brutal.

True. The last act of Signs ruins everything before it so I lump it in with his other garbage.

Catching up on my movies.

Role Models - 2.5 stars out of 5. Not spectacular, but a good movie for the basic plot that it had.

Saving Mr. Banks - 4.5 out of 5 stars. Very good movie, highly recommended. Not that in-depth, but a real tear-jerker.

Captain America - The First Avenger - 3.5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the retro feel; but, since I've seen other Marvel movies made after this one and read the comics, the plot and story was not that unknown.

Maleficent - 4 out 5 stars. Really great re-telling of the Sleeping Beauty story. Hard to accept Ellie Fanning as Aurora and the prince was goofy, but I really enjoyed the fresh ideas in the film.

M Knight's explanation of Signs was that they really weren't aliens, they were demons. The movie was about Gibson's struggle with his faith. The reason water killed the whatever's was because it was holy water. Seriously. :lol:

I really don't get the fascination with Snowpiercer. It's a movie that's right up my alley (post apocalyptic scifi), but I don't even think it's good, let alone in the top 10. The entire movie is just a monotone mess to me. Chris Evans also does nothing for me.

Inherent Vice is worth checking out...its a mix of aa Franco/Rogen stoner flick with the time period perfectly evoked. I ca say it made my yearly top 10 but it was darned close. Waterston is a revelation (a cross between a young Helen Hunt and Jennifer Lawrence). Phoenix continues to be one of the underrated acors of his generation when paired with the right director. Definitely the type of flick you need to watch again to fully appreciate.

American Sniper is good so far....but there is so much controversy over the type of person Chris Pyle really was that I can't quite reconcile it with Bradley Cooper's portrayal. It shouldn't be used as recruiting propaganda. Movies like Lone Survivor or Black Hawk Down (even the hurt locker or zero dark 30) are much more realistic and nuanced. Pyle as a person is too one-dimensional...while that's what is needed for battlefield survival it doesn't necessarily make for compelling narrative.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
I haven't seen The Imitation Game yet either, that would PROBABLY go into the Top 10 from everything I've read.

i just saw Imitation Game. i really like it. it is a docu type of a movie.

the problem i am having with it, i can't think if the main male actor was over acting

or not. i can't think b/c i like the move that much. the female main lead was great

in this movie.

for me it is a 5 out of 5 type of movie.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
I really don't get the fascination with Snowpiercer. It's a movie that's right up my alley (post apocalyptic scifi), but I don't even think it's good, let alone in the top 10. The entire movie is just a monotone mess to me. Chris Evans also does nothing for me.

I've been scratching my head on this one too. I LOVED so much of the movie - neat concept, class struggle/caste system allegory was awesome. The ending really threw me, though. Like, there was such a great build up to what I wanted to happen, what I thought would have been a much better ending, and then it just farted. So disappointing.

I truly believe if Chris Evans had just taken over the role that he was groomed for and taken control of the train, maintaining the status quo of class repression, that would have been more believable in that reflects human nature - change things until their better for yourself, until you're on top.

I think THAT would have nailed home the dystopian theme.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
i just saw Imitation Game. i really like it. it is a docu type of a movie.

the problem i am having with it, i can't think if the main male actor was over acting

or not. i can't think b/c i like the move that much. the female main lead was great

in this movie.

for me it is a 5 out of 5 type of movie.

Benedict Cumberbatch. Kiera Knightley.

Brilliant actor. Right now, I'd say it's going to come down to the pr spin war between MLK/Selma and this film for the Oscar. The Imitation Game glosses over Alan Turing's homosexuality and shameful demise which was just recently rectified sixty years too late by the British government. MLK does the same with his indiscretions to focus primarily on the historical achievements.

Dr. Turing should be accorded a position as one of the five most important figures of the 20th century but he's barely a footnote in some textbooks.

Toss-up. I'll go Selma Better overall film.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 06:39 AM)
Benedict Cumberbatch. Kiera Knightley.

Brilliant actor. Right now, I'd say it's going to come down to the pr spin war between MLK/Selma and this film for the Oscar. The Imitation Game glosses over Alan Turing's homosexuality and shameful demise which was just recently rectified sixty years too late by the British government. MLK does the same with his indiscretions to focus primarily on the historical achievements.

Dr. Turing should be accorded a position as one of the five most important figures of the 20th century but he's barely a footnote in some textbooks.

Toss-up. I'll go Selma Better overall film.

i know, i was leaving a lot out of what i was writing. the film only skim over what he

did to help. no mention of coming to America to help break >>> and other things

he also help in breaking other codes.

there were several other gays working in that group. the there was a memtion of a

person who also was part of the Cambridge 5, the biggest group of spies.

lots of great stuff.