2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
Agree. It was a pretty fun movie but I don't understand how it became such a cultural phenomenon. The idea of the militarized dinosaurs is just ridiculous with the types of weapons we have right now.

And I'm not sure this needs a spoiler tag but:

There are flaws like this in every movie but are you telling me they couldn't have just called the main hub where they monitor all the dinosaurs to ask them to track the Indominus without driving away from the paddock to do so? Come the f*** on. She makes that call and there is no movie though obviously.

It's like writing a critical review of the most recent Fast & the Furious movie...of course, 90% of the set action pieces are preposterous and over the top (like the runway that goes on for about 5 KM from the previous film), but that's part of the enjoyment.

Nobody ever says, "that could actually happen in real life!" after a typical summer popcorn flick.

As long as it's not a movie based on historical facts, it's kind of irrelevant...you just have to be in a certain mood to watch it, like Sharknado I/II.

So sure, when I was watching JW and just knew the dinosaur had gotten out somehow, you just expected the military or "greedy capitalist counterpart to heroine with a hidden heart of a gold" to do something idiotic like chase after the dinosaur in a helicopter. I mean...I suppose we could have also imagined that the helo was equipped with SAM missiles instead of merely machine guns...well, that would have required us to believe that "greedy capitalist guy" would be willing to destroy his golden parachute creation.

Of course, knowing the consequences of the public safety being affected by such an event, and the resulting catastrophic financial losses...and that any dino could eventually be recreated or re-imagined in the laboratory, wouldn't they have logically taken it out with a drone strike?

Of course, that would have summarily ended the movie after just 45 minutes.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
Agree. It was a pretty fun movie but I don't understand how it became such a cultural phenomenon. The idea of the militarized dinosaurs is just ridiculous with the types of weapons we have right now.

And I'm not sure this needs a spoiler tag but:

There are flaws like this in every movie but are you telling me they couldn't have just called the main hub where they monitor all the dinosaurs to ask them to track the Indominus without driving away from the paddock to do so? Come the f*** on. She makes that call and there is no movie though obviously.

I believe they explained that away because the Indominus tore it's tracker out AND could disguise it's heat so those sensors didn't work.

dumb.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
It's like writing a critical review of the most recent Fast & the Furious movie...of course, 90% of the set action pieces are preposterous and over the top (like the runway that goes on for about 5 KM from the previous film), but that's part of the enjoyment.

Nobody ever says, "that could actually happen in real life!" after a typical summer popcorn flick.

As long as it's not a movie based on historical facts, it's kind of irrelevant...you just have to be in a certain mood to watch it, like Sharknado I/II.

So sure, when I was watching JW and just knew the dinosaur had gotten out somehow, you just expected the military or "greedy capitalist counterpart to heroine with a hidden heart of a gold" to do something idiotic like chase after the dinosaur in a helicopter. I mean...I suppose we could have also imagined that the helo was equipped with SAM missiles instead of merely machine guns...well, that would have required us to believe that "greedy capitalist guy" would be willing to destroy his golden parachute creation.

Of course, knowing the consequences of the public safety being affected by such an event, and the resulting catastrophic financial losses...and that any dino could eventually be recreated or re-imagined in the laboratory, wouldn't they have logically taken it out with a drone strike?

Of course, that would have summarily ended the movie after just 45 minutes.

I think in the end, I have no choice but to draw comparisons to the original. Jurassic Park comes off as an absolutely plausible story to this day. The book itself was the same way. There's no way Crichton would have written anything about militarizing raptors.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
I think in the end, I have no choice but to draw comparisons to the original. Jurassic Park comes off as an absolutely plausible story to this day. The book itself was the same way. There's no way Crichton would have written anything about militarizing raptors.

Eh, i'd disagree on the plausible. There are plenty of dumb things that don't make sense - leaving one guy in charge of the entire security system, exhibiting the island in the first place when there's a hurricane on the way (which goes away very quickly, btw), having the breaker panels in a separate building, having a T-Rex area with a moat, and then to let the T-Rex out, get rid of the moat, etc.

Still, top 5 movie of all time in my book. Not sure there's a better action movie. It holds up incredibly well 25 years later.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Eh, i'd disagree on the plausible. There are plenty of dumb things that don't make sense - leaving one guy in charge of the entire security system, exhibiting the island in the first place when there's a hurricane on the way (which goes away very quickly, btw), having the breaker panels in a separate building, having a T-Rex area with a moat, and then to let the T-Rex out, get rid of the moat, etc.

Still, top 5 movie of all time in my book. Not sure there's a better action movie. It holds up incredibly well 25 years later.

You make some valid points. Maybe I'm nuts.

BUT MILITARIZING VELOCIRAPTORS!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
You make some valid points. Maybe I'm nuts.

BUT MILITARIZING VELOCIRAPTORS!

I thought the same at first, but it's not like he has total control of them. Not to mention

they turn heel at the end for good reason. Before one turns back good.

Even though he has control of them, it was always an uneasy feeling. Like he was never fully in control of them and that worked for me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
I thought the same at first, but it's not like he has total control of them. Not to mention

they turn heel at the end for good reason. Before one turns back good.

Even though he has control of them, it was always an uneasy feeling. Like he was never fully in control of them and that worked for me.

I'm just talking about that being hte big PLAN. What a great idea. LOL.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
I'm just talking about that being hte big PLAN. What a great idea. LOL.

My bad. I misread.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
That. That's just bad.

Agreed. I thought Olivia Munn would look sexier.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
I had to do a GIS for that second pic. Had no idea who it was.

I know that picture because I have a 5 year old son, and stepbrother 9 years younger than me., lol. For anyone wondering, that is the bad guy in Power Rangers: The Movie

And here is the real thing

image.jpg

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
I have to imagine there will be a lot of CGI involved to pull off Apocalypse. He needs to be about 9 feet tall.

I hope so, but I don't see any cgi dots on his body or face in those pics

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
Yeah, It does look different. Maybe they didn't want to do a big 9ft CGI monster looking Apocalypse.

Have to wait and see with the trailer.

If you don't want to do a character the way he looks, why do it? If darkseid showed up in superman and looked like that, I would expect you would be disappointed

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
Yeah, It does look different. Maybe they didn't want to do a big 9ft CGI monster looking Apocalypse.

Have to wait and see with the trailer.

Early version but someone recorded this at ComicCon.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
If you don't want to do a character the way he looks, why do it? If darkseid showed up in superman and looked like that, I would expect you would be disappointed

Maybe, depends on how well it was played. I think Oscar Isaac is a pretty good actor. Lot's of characters have looked different on screen. Sometimes the comic book aspect doesn't carry over well to a real life setting. Maybe they thought a giant mutant with blue lips would look silly. Just like they didn't make Bane 7ft tall and weigh 350 pounds. Wearing a Lucha libre looking mask. Cause it would look silly.

Thanos is a character that from what i've seen they have kept totally true to the comic and to be honest it looked a little goofy. Very CGI and you can tell.

This is also two pictures. I've seen people say this movie is going to be bad. From seeing two pictures! The previous two X-Men movies were really good, no reason to think this one is suddenly going to be horrible.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Maybe, depends on how well it was played. I think Oscar Isaac is a pretty good actor. Lot's of characters have looked different on screen. Sometimes the comic book aspect doesn't carry over well to a real life setting. Maybe they thought a giant mutant with blue lips would look silly. Just like they didn't make Bane 7ft tall and weigh 350 pounds. Wearing a Lucha libre looking mask. Cause it would look silly.

Thanos is a character that from what i've seen they have kept totally true to the comic and to be honest it looked a little goofy. Very CGI and you can tell.

This is also two pictures. I've seen people say this movie is going to be bad. From seeing two pictures! The previous two X-Men movies were really good, no reason to think this one is suddenly going to be horrible.

Come on now, they could do Nightcrawler true to life, The Blob (XMen Origins: Wolverine) true to life, they did CGI teeth on Beast in the past two X Men movies, but they think that Apocalype needs to be realistic? That is absurd

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Come on now, they could do Nightcrawler true to life, The Blob (XMen Origins: Wolverine) true to life, they did CGI teeth on Beast in the past two X Men movies, but they think that Apocalype needs to be realistic? That is absurd

I don't know. Maybe it does look like him, just not in the photos.

I think it's best to wait for a trailer.

Edited by GoSox05