2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Spectre trailer dropped today and looks really good. I thought Skyfall was one of the better Bond films in a long, long time and this one looks to be a continuation of the story.

most excellent....

i love the way they did the royal and skyfall movies. i read all of the j. bond books.... simple reading but i love them.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
He's also watching the complete NASA historical epic "The Right Stuff" on CED tonight.

You have to use both giant discs on both sides to watch it.

pffft, Top Gun all day long

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I really wish someone else would have made Pixels. I think it could have been a funny summer action movie.

Adam Sandler is just so horrible. Kevin James is also the worst.

Chris Columbus is usually someone you can trust though

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
Chris Columbus is usually someone you can trust though

Maybe if he had more control over the movie. This movie was written by Tim Herlihy who writes a lot of the Adam Sandler movies.

I was hoping it would get decent reviews. If people were saying it's ok, but nothing great. I might have gone to see it, but it's getting awful reviews. Really bad.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I really wish someone else would have made Pixels. I think it could have been a funny summer action movie.

Adam Sandler is just so horrible. Kevin James is also the worst.

Saw the early reviews. Yikes. I was hoping it'd be decent.

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainment/m...805a5c4d76.html

Sandler has to learn he can't keep insulting 50% of his audience. Recently, it was posing with a dolled up Selena Gomez while he and James looked like schlubs in sweats or fighting with Rose McGowan about sexist casting call role descriptions.

I guess if Kevin James can be the president and act like this (and lots still went to Mall Cop II despite terrible reviews), then so can The Donald...it's the backlash to the political correctness backlash. Not sure which is worse.

Part of the problem is that it's unclear who the filmmakers think their audience is. This is a big-budget spectacle about 1980s nostalgia aimed at kids who have no emotional connection to the decade. "Pixels" is also insanely sexist, culminating with the winning male characters each rewarded with a woman. Seriously, they get human women as prizes. They literally call one a trophy.

The first introduction to these guys as grown-ups is the two of them discussing which Hollywood actresses are hottest.

Sam is a loser who feels his best days are 30 years behind him, at the arcade. He's the kind of guy who shows up to the White House wearing shorts and hits on the pretty homeowner whose theater system he's installing. When she rejects him but ends up driving behind him on the street, he declares to no one: "She went from zero to psycho in 3.4 seconds." Because women are crazy, get it?!

Edited by caulfield12

OK, watched the Skeleton Twins and Birdman on my computer this week since I have some free time. Is it common knowledge that Hader and Wiig can act? I'd give that movie a B-minus. Probably worth watching.

Birdman ... how did Keaton not win the Academy Award? Can you do any better than he did as an actor? Did he win any of the minor awards for that performance at least?

And to those who watched Birdman ... how do you explain the ending? What did it mean? Spoiler alert coming for old movie... Stop reading here if u still are to watch Birdman.

OK, Birdman obviously had some powers. Remember Keaton willed that light fixture to fall off the ceiling and hit the actor on the head early in the movie and Keaton character broke some things just by looking at them. So he did have some powers and it was believable he might be able to fly.

The scene with the taxi driver not getting paid, however, was an obvious ploy of the filmmaker to tell the audience Birdman cannot fly.

So what was his daughter looking at as she gazed out the window? Did he really fly away or fall to his death? I would suspect he fell to his death and she was looking up happy he had escaped his demons and was now up in the clouds forever. But from the tone of the movie that isn't the correct response she would have. She was pretty emotional and wouldn't be happy her dad jumped to his death. Also, remember the last time he flew it apparently was an out of body dream like experience because the presence of the taxi driver proved he didn't fly. So there definitely could be another flying dream sequence at the conclusion of the film.

I don't buy that he really killed himself on stage. I would think the movie would have ended right there had he done that or shortly after showing he got good reviews after all.

The planned ending with Johnny Depp would have been really weird as well. What is the correct meaning of the ending of Birdman?? The fact it's not clear I think hurts the movie. I would say the scene with the taxi driver is telling that he cannot fly. Had that scene not been in the movie then I might be able to buy the current ending. Because of that scene I think they should have spelled out more what happened to Birdman.

I would give Birdman a B as at times the darkness of the movie got annoying. I wouldn't argue with B-plus.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
OK, watched the Skeleton Twins and Birdman on my computer this week since I have some free time. Is it common knowledge that Hader and Wiig can act? I'd give that movie a B-minus. Probably worth watching.

Birdman ... how did Keaton not win the Academy Award? Can you do any better than he did as an actor? Did he win any of the minor awards for that performance at least?

And to those who watched Birdman ... how do you explain the ending? What did it mean? Spoiler alert coming for old movie... Stop reading here if u still are to watch Birdman.

OK, Birdman obviously had some powers. Remember Keaton willed that light fixture to fall off the ceiling and hit the actor on the head early in the movie and Keaton character broke some things just by looking at them. So he did have some powers and it was believable he might be able to fly.

The scene with the taxi driver not getting paid, however, was an obvious ploy of the filmmaker to tell the audience Birdman cannot fly.

So what was his daughter looking at as she gazed out the window? Did he really fly away or fall to his death? I would suspect he fell to his death and she was looking up happy he had escaped his demons and was now up in the clouds forever. But from the tone of the movie that isn't the correct response she would have. She was pretty emotional and wouldn't be happy her dad jumped to his death. Also, remember the last time he flew it apparently was an out of body dream like experience because the presence of the taxi driver proved he didn't fly. So there definitely could be another flying dream sequence at the conclusion of the film.

I don't buy that he really killed himself on stage. I would think the movie would have ended right there had he done that or shortly after showing he got good reviews after all.

The planned ending with Johnny Depp would have been really weird as well. What is the correct meaning of the ending of Birdman?? The fact it's not clear I think hurts the movie. I would say the scene with the taxi driver is telling that he cannot fly. Had that scene not been in the movie then I might be able to buy the current ending. Because of that scene I think they should have spelled out more what happened to Birdman.

I would give Birdman a B as at times the darkness of the movie got annoying. I wouldn't argue with B-plus.

ref birdman. i gave it a A- to A. excellent acting..... all around in movie. Keaton, on top of the game as well. i am confuse with the ending and i still am lost ... i think it will always be one of those things that goes unexplained.

lets see, ending. dead vs flying powers vs grief reaction vs ????

nice post.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 05:50 AM)
Way late to the party, but holy s*** was Jurassic World terrible. I mean, just so many awful things: plot points, acting (Pratt...wtf?), some of the dialogue and pacing....

D+. Would have gotten an F if not for some cool call backs to the original.

JW really sucked for me.... the female lead bryce howard something.... horrible, horrible horrible. her sister the mother of the kids.... equally horrible.

ending 2 train reptiles .... come on.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I don't get how anyone could hate Jurassic World. It's not a masterpiece but it's a fun movie. You're looking way too far into it to think it's terrible.

I'm with you. Sorry if you didn't enjoy it, but you're wrong and justin and I are right. Neener

I think the problem was I had originally thought it would be a dumb story and then I saw it made 1.5 billion so I figured it must be better than I expected. But it really wasnt.

Just so many dumb elements: the divorce situation was unnecessary, the relationship between Pratt and the girl was unearned, the feasibility of the whole story was dumb, from not immediately looking at the tracker to not having a contingency for a dino getting loose (you know, which is what happened 20 years prior and which everyone knows would immediately kill the entire venture), the raptor thing, the billionaire being the only helicopter pilot, the main chick becoming Rambo-esque (in f***ing heels the whole movie!), driving a motorcycle through a dense jungle, the ending with the T-Rex (yeah I can stand 5 feet from it and run and it won't catch me! Totally believable!!)

And I'm sure there was more. I liked a lot of the not so serious dialogue (Jake Johnson killed it) and the little funny moments but it never felt appropriate for the scene or for the time in the movie.

I enjoyed the dinos. I enjoyed the world they created. But it was basically everything the original was not. It's about on par with 2 and 3. Nonsensical story but dinosaurs so watchable.

I thought Jurassic World did a nice job of referencing the original film. The movie didn’t have much originality but that’s kind of hard when there’s already two prior sequels. Not to mention they left it open for possibly one or two more sequels.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
ref birdman. i gave it a A- to A. excellent acting..... all around in movie. Keaton, on top of the game as well. i am confuse with the ending and i still am lost ... i think it will always be one of those things that goes unexplained.

lets see, ending. dead vs flying powers vs grief reaction vs ????

nice post.

If I ever hear it was just a dream I'm going to freak out because dream sequences are dumb. I can't see her having a positive reaction if she saw him splattered dead. That would come way later. She didn't want him dead, that is for sure. She either saw a vision of him flying to heaven or he was flying. If he was flying, the taxi cab driver scene would be unnecessary/wrong.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 06:16 AM)
Early but with 26 reviews in, Mission Impossible 5 is at 96%. Only one bad review.

Good to hear cuz I loved Ghost Protocol.

"Rogue Nation solidifies the fact that Tom Cruise is the quintessential action star, carrying the quintessential action franchise. With all due respect to 007, at the moment, nobody does it better."

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/mission...le-rogue-nation

This was about the worst review, it reads completely like a neg but showing up as a tomato.

In point of fact, there are very few series (other than Bond and Fast/Furious) that have now stretched out for such a long time period and remain as entertaining as ever...like or hate Tom Cruise, that's a pretty significant accomplishment.

It's hard to imagine The Avengers, for example, being as equally popular 15 years from now as in this last 2-3 years. Of course, a large part of that depends on the directors and viewing tastes changing. The Bourne series pushed Bond and Mission: Impossible in another darker, colder direction, and also made possible the success of similar movies like Huntsman: The Secret Service.