2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
Now You See Me could have been better, but they played it off like the only authorities that existed were Mark Ruffalo and the Interpol girl. I laughed when they pulled off all these heists in plain sight and were nationally wanted criminals but yet they could set up elaborate stage performances. Oh hey, and they were able to deposit millions of dollars in people's accounts no big deal

I hated that we were just supposed to believe that this guy would spend his entire life rising up the ranks for a highly competetive job just to exact revenge. I haven't seen the movie in a couple years, but couldn't he have just worked his way up to be a driver of that armored vehicle? Wasn't that the lynchpin in the entire plan?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 02:25 AM)
I hated that we were just supposed to believe that this guy would spend his entire life rising up the ranks for a highly competetive job just to exact revenge. I haven't seen the movie in a couple years, but couldn't he have just worked his way up to be a driver of that armored vehicle? Wasn't that the lynchpin in the entire plan?

Its another example of plot fail in that movie. It's definitely a "turn off your believability meter" type of movie, so I don't want to destroy it too much, but it just got a bit too silly for me.

Speaking of, "everything wrong with tmnt" is really good

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 02:25 AM)

Agree. I enjoyed it up until the reveal. Felt like they did it just to shock people and didn't care about if it made sense. It ruined it for me.

Does anyone listen to podcasts? If so, I highly suggest a podcast called "How did this get made?". It's hosted by Paul Scheer (Andre from The League), Jason Manzoukas (Raffi from The League), and June Raphael (Paul's wife, female comedian).

Basically they get together and watch terrible movies, and then record a podcast completely tearing apart the movie. It's hilarious. I just listened to their 100th episode which they reviewed the Arnold and Danny DeVito movie "Junior".

But the episode I implore you all to listen to is the episode on an 80's horror movie called "Sleepaway Camp". One of the weirdest and funniest twist endings to a movie I've ever seen. As I listened to the podcast, I was skimming through the full movie which is on Youtube. The scenes were just as terrible and they described them, and the ending really has to be seen to do the commentary justice. I'll never forget that image in the final scene of that movie.

Link to podcast - http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sleepaway-camp/

Link to movie -

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Sleep away camp is craziness. My cousin and I watched that when I was like 8 and she was 11. The, um, adult part was pretty confusing and my aunt was a little bit pissed that it was rented

I don't want to spoil it for others, but that reveal at the end doesn't even make sense once you remember that after the boating scene,

we can SEE that it's the boy that survived. The lack of ponytails give away that the girl has died. So the movie reall made no sense from the beginning when they try and tell us that the daughter is the one who lived.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
I don't want to spoil it for others, but that reveal at the end doesn't even make sense once you remember that after the boating scene,

we can SEE that it's the boy that survived. The lack of ponytails give away that the girl has died. So the movie reall made no sense from the beginning when they try and tell us that the daughter is the one who lived.

This is why 70s and 80s pulp horror was the best though, they pulled a whole bunch of sick and twisted stuff and people loved it. Even when it made no sense at all.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Does anyone listen to podcasts? If so, I highly suggest a podcast called "How did this get made?". It's hosted by Paul Scheer (Andre from The League), Jason Manzoukas (Raffi from The League), and June Raphael (Paul's wife, female comedian).

Basically they get together and watch terrible movies, and then record a podcast completely tearing apart the movie. It's hilarious. I just listened to their 100th episode which they reviewed the Arnold and Danny DeVito movie "Junior".

But the episode I implore you all to listen to is the episode on an 80's horror movie called "Sleepaway Camp". One of the weirdest and funniest twist endings to a movie I've ever seen. As I listened to the podcast, I was skimming through the full movie which is on Youtube. The scenes were just as terrible and they described them, and the ending really has to be seen to do the commentary justice. I'll never forget that image in the final scene of that movie.

Link to podcast - http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sleepaway-camp/

Link to movie -

This sounds great. I'm subscribing.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 16, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
Going to see American Sniper tomorrow. I am nervous, never been a War movie fan.

i saw american sniper. a really nice movie. i am surprise on the acting, i should

have known better. anything with clint eastwood directing is usually going to be

good.

i got to read up on alot of this movie and real life stories.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 12:55 AM)
How much of Chris Kyle's life is covered in American Sniper? He supposedly made up a lot of the stories in his life after the war. I have read a lot of stuff on him and he just seems like a guy that had something wrong with him and couldn't live with not being a "hero".

i think you nailed on the head and according to the movie the revenge factor.

my godson was a navy seal and did 2 tours. he was dropped just before the invasion

to get a palace that had gold coins. either way, he said, he and his team hatted the

hype that other branches gave them.

however Chris liked the hype of the legend. i am glad they just focus on his military career.

the incident with jesse ventura and the lawsuits that is what i am reading now.

either way, he did his time serving the military.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
i saw american sniper. a really nice movie. i am surprise on the acting, i should

have known better. anything with clint eastwood directing is usually going to be

good.

i got to read up on alot of this movie and real life stories.

Everything you read....he was basically a "good ol boy" and pretty darned racist.

Seemingly the main positive was the work he did with veterans after the war.

Of course you're going to come off more heroically with Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood controlling the story...but it still feels a bit like a recruiting video for the military.

Lone Survivor was a much better film.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/07/death_of_an_american_sniper/ Some of the concerns about the real Kyle and glorifying him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 02:37 AM)
Everything you read....he was basically a "good ol boy" and pretty darned racist.

Seemingly the main positive was the work he did with veterans after the war.

Of course you're going to come off more heroically with Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood controlling the story...but it still feels a bit like a recruiting video for the military.

Lone Survivor was a much better film.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/07/death_of_an_american_sniper/ Some of the concerns about the real Kyle and glorifying him.

a good counter. the lone survivor was really embellish. there is no way was it better than

sniper. but i will respect what your opinion is.

ref to the real life .... i am sure almost everyone has something to hide. but his record of

KIA still certs by the government.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Kingsman: The Secret Service looks like it will be ridiculous but fun.

http://m.ign.com/videos/2015/01/16/kingsma...-clip-pub-fight

to me, it looks as it is going to be a really nice movie. a great time to relax

and enjoy the moments with friends at a nice movie.

i can't wait to see it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 18, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Did anyone see Birdman? I saw it last night. Thoughts?

i am a huge fan of michael keaton and i will see that movie either tomorrow or

tues.

did you like it??

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/business...p-news&_r=0

More on the why the Oscars omission of Selma matters from a former NY Times film reporter/reviewer

Birdman is definitely the most original/creative movie of the year. It might not be the best movie (I'm still going with Selma over Boyhood even though Boyhood's going to win the Oscar next month) but it's packed with a trio of great performances from Keaton, Norton and Emma Stone.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 02:24 AM)
Let us know what episode you listened to and what you thought.

I listened to the one on No Holds Barred and thought it was hilarious. I'll go back and listen to ones where they talk about movies I am familiar with.

Watched "The Internet's Own Boy". Great documentary. Sad and relevant.

"CitizenFour" comes to iTunes next week so I'll rent that. My buddy said it was the most suspenseful movie on the year. Documentary or not.