2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
Kyle served four tours and the movie is set up alternating his home life and his tours. I read his book, followed all the media coverage and was pretty disappointed with the movie. I definitely would have been more into it if I had no foreknowledge of the character they were basing it off of. He was basically a hardass Texan who compulsively lied. They pick Cooper, who I thought was way too soft to accurately portray Kyle, and made him a southern gent who was entirely likable in every respect. That being said, a lot of the war scenes were captivating and it was, at the least, entertaining but another movie where "based on a real story" is really stretch.

Jesse Ventura is the only one of his lies that actually caught up to him. A lot of his other lies didn't involve names so few people had any vesting interest to call him out. Kyle seemed to be born a narcissist who, understandably so, had more trouble with his grasp on reality after returning home.

a great opinion. couldn't have said it better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
I liked it a lot. Loved the energy the drumming gave it. Loved Ed Norton's scenes, almost every one of them.

dang, i was gong to see some other movie, but i think i going to see it today.

mondays are 1/2 price days here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:51 AM)
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/business...p-news&_r=0

More on the why the Oscars omission of Selma matters from a former NY Times film reporter/reviewer

Birdman is definitely the most original/creative movie of the year. It might not be the best movie (I'm still going with Selma over Boyhood even though Boyhood's going to win the Oscar next month) but it's packed with a trio of great performances from Keaton, Norton and Emma Stone.

This reaction is just strange to me give that a year ago this issue was supposedly put to bed when The Black Movie and The Black Director/Writer and The Black Actress and The Black Actor were all nominated and/or won at the Oscars. How'd the Academy go from being not so racist to racist again in 12 months? Should The Black Movie of every year be nominated just because? I mean this movie very well may be deserving and they could have gotten screwed out of a nomination, but a lot of movies are. I hate when people just scream "because racism."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
This reaction is just strange to me give that a year ago this issue was supposedly put to bed when The Black Movie and The Black Director/Writer and The Black Actress and The Black Actor were all nominated and/or won at the Oscars. How'd the Academy go from being not so racist to racist again in 12 months? Should The Black Movie of every year be nominated just because? I mean this movie very well may be deserving and they could have gotten screwed out of a nomination, but a lot of movies are. I hate when people just scream "because racism."

It's almost like saying that there better be a black guy in the top 5 of the AL/NL CY/MVP voting, or else the voters aren't doing their part to ease racial tensions. If they didn't think a person was top 5 for the year, they simply didn't think they were top 5. Race should have nothing to do with it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
It's almost like saying that there better be a black guy in the top 5 of the AL/NL CY/MVP voting, or else the voters aren't doing their part to ease racial tensions. If they didn't think a person was top 5 for the year, they simply didn't think they were top 5. Race should have nothing to do with it.

But if you've got 2 racial minorities who are in the top 4 in ERA, wins, and fWAR, for example, and they don't wind up in the top 8 in cy young voting, you do start to wonder why.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
I liked it a lot. Loved the energy the drumming gave it. Loved Ed Norton's scenes, almost every one of them.

oh man, i was pissed, the movie threater down here removed the movie after 1 weekend.

but i saw it anyway. thanks to d/l programs. ok here is my take.

this movie reminded me of the late 50's early 60's indie movie the

C movies. great actors that wanted to make their kind of movie.

i continuous shot, no stopping, a lot of improvising kind of film

like Orson Welles, Burt Lancaster and John Cassavetes made. dark

black and white film that was made in 10-20 days.

acting it reminded me of Glengarry Glen Ross plot with the whole

ensembe doing a great jjob of acting.

i really hope they all do well in the critics review.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)

That's one of the main points of the criticism.

That the Academy just "checks off boxes" and then returns to the good 'ol boys network. A female director wins for The Hurt Locker, the first time ever, then there's less pressure to nominate other women in the future (like Zero Dark Thirty, which wasn't nearly the film Selma is IMO). In this case, the same director, James Cameron's ex.

In all honesty, I think the biggest thing that hurt Selma was not getting all the screening copies out in time...making it very hard to vote for a movie you've yet to see, no matter the universal praise of the Metacritic or rottentomatoes ratings.

I like that the Academy isn't rewarding so-so films like Cake and Big Eyes with nominations for Aniston and Amy Adams. On the other hand, they seem to be giving Julianne Moore a lifetime achievement award for Still Alice, because I've seen better (and lower-budgeted) overall films on Lifetime.

Probably the biggest injustices this Oscar season are for Selma's director and The Lego Movie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
But if you've got 2 racial minorities who are in the top 4 in ERA, wins, and fWAR, for example, and they don't wind up in the top 8 in cy young voting, you do start to wonder why.

How do you prove that, though? That's your personal opinion. If these professional acting critics didn't think it was top 5, I'll believe them.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)
How do you prove that, though? That's your personal opinion. If these professional acting critics didn't think it was top 5, I'll believe them.

They're not critics, with a few notable exceptions. When you hear statistics like that, you start to wonder about all the nominations for American Sniper, for example.

And no club in the United States — over the last several years, the Academy has been around 93 percent white, 76 percent male and an average of 63 years old — is in more need of new blood than Hollywood.

from nytimes.com article earlier cited

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
They're not critics, with a few notable exceptions. When you hear statistics like that, you start to wonder about all the nominations for American Sniper, for example.

And no club in the United States — over the last several years, the Academy has been around 93 percent white, 76 percent male and an average of 63 years old — is in more need of new blood than Hollywood.

from nytimes.com article earlier cited

Film industry people, either way. I'm trusting their opinion on it. It's ludicrous to force nominations to meet a quota.

"Frank" with Michael Fassbender and Maggie Gyllenhaal has to be the weirdest, yet strangely compelling movie ever made about a band. For 85% of the movie, Fassbender's wearing a giant head like Big Boy mashed together with the old Astros logo. Everyone in the movie is mentally ill except for the main protagonist. It also captures the idea of "pure music" coming into conflict with commercialization/Twitter/social media universe and the SXSW music festival. I don't know how to describe it, but it's got a 92% rating at Metacritic and it's just a really cool original movie.

Another one, Harry Potter and Zoe Kazan in "What If," which some critics are claiming is a better romantic comedy than 500 Days of Summer. Definitely worth a viewing.

Now on to IDA, a Polish film which has won a lot of accolades.

http://www.movieinsider.com/m13053/unfriended/

Will tech-based thrillers or horror movies become the next big thing?

Tales of Mystery, a co-production between Hong Kong and the mainland, uses the popular WeChat app as the basis for a thriller. If the film succeeds financially, it could usher in more tech-based fright flicks. In North America, the sub-genre is starting to gain more ground thanks to Unfriended, a thriller about teens who are haunted by a dead girl over a Skype group chat. The first trailer for Unfriended generated a ton of online buzz last week.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/news/2...ies-set-to-rule

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 02:39 AM)

Tales of Mystery, a co-production between Hong Kong and the mainland, uses the popular WeChat app as the basis for a thriller. If the film succeeds financially, it could usher in more tech-based fright flicks. In North America, the sub-genre is starting to gain more ground thanks to Unfriended, a thriller about teens who are haunted by a dead girl over a Skype group chat. The first trailer for Unfriended generated a ton of online buzz last week.

when it comes to judging movies, i am totally weird in this area, so i usually have

to see them myself. some movies i find great all for different reasons than most

will think about.

so this one, i really have to go and see it. i have no imagination to fall back on.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
"Frank" with Michael Fassbender and Maggie Gyllenhaal has to be the weirdest, yet strangely compelling movie ever made about a band. For 85% of the movie, Fassbender's wearing a giant head like Big Boy mashed together with the old Astros logo. Everyone in the movie is mentally ill except for the main protagonist. It also captures the idea of "pure music" coming into conflict with commercialization/Twitter/social media universe and the SXSW music festival. I don't know how to describe it, but it's got a 92% rating at Metacritic and it's just a really cool original movie.

Another one, Harry Potter and Zoe Kazan in "What If," which some critics are claiming is a better romantic comedy than 500 Days of Summer. Definitely worth a viewing.

Now on to IDA, a Polish film which has won a lot of accolades.

i like watching foreign movies, sometimes the subtitles gets a little annoying

b/c it is too fast.

i just saw a russian movie called the Admiral. great movie, a true account of

this person in real life. the actress in it is absolutely gorgeous. i had to read

up on him in Wikipedia. you can see it on youtube.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)

its not like its a new thing. AI taking control and destroying humanity has been a theme for quite some time. 2001, Terminator, War Games, Lawnmower Man, I, Robot, Alien, Aliens. There are so many of them, Trancendence and the chat horror movie arent much different

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
its not like its a new thing. AI taking control and destroying humanity has been a theme for quite some time. 2001, Terminator, War Games, Lawnmower Man, I, Robot, Alien, Aliens. There are so many of them, Trancendence and the chat horror movie arent much different

yeah i was going to go with arnold's movie.... but i wasn't sure if this

was the same thing being mention. i was a little lost.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 06:24 AM)

Sneakers (not so much horror), Ghost in the Machine...

needed to get out so i went to movies. not being in chi is killing me. so next to chi sports teams, except for the northsiders, i went to my 2 favorite thing. movies.

saw Whiplash it was absolutely a great movie. great acting and the music.... wow. no wonder there is a lot of talk of awards for the teacher. the soundtrack is great. now for the disclaimer. if you do not like jazz, this is jazz as you never heard play. well at least give it a try.

i wish i can say more, but yous guys need to experience it. listen to the horms and the drums.

here is a little youtube from a favorite of mine in jazz. great piano and drums.