2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw Heart of the Sea tonight. It was alright. Worth a watch, but not worth a movie ticket. It was a lot more disgusting that I imagined, but maybe that's my fault.

PS: I also knew nothing of Moby Dick, other than being a big whale that some guy was hunting. So maybe this movie is more interesting to those who've read the novel.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
Gonna head to Music Box for first time for Hateful 8 next week. Looking forward to it but I'd be shocked if it's better than Pulp, KB2, or Dogs. Would b sweet if it is.

It is his best and it might be out of the Music Box next week.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)
Tarantino has a new Magnus Opus.

Just saw H8tful in 70mm, it was amazing.

Going to disagree.

Pulp Fiction remains his Magnum Opus...and Hateful Eight is awesome -- if you like overly drawn out boring movies with sprinkles of bloody action in-between.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
Going to disagree.

Pulp Fiction remains his Magnum Opus...and Hateful Eight is awesome -- if you like overly drawn out boring movies with sprinkles of bloody action in-between.

I disagree with that. I think Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction, even Inglorious and Django.

Tarantino always said that he views himself as a writer before anything else. Hateful Eight is a writing masterclass from Tarantino. This felt very much like a play, kinda like Tarantino doing his best Shakespeare imitation.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
It is his best and it might be out of the Music Box next week.

It's been on the schedule for Jan 4 for awhile. Hope it doesn't change

And I like JB but in no way shape or form is it better than Pulp. It maybe more rewatch able than Basterds but still prefer that to JB. I wasn't a Django fan. Need to rewatch sometime maybe

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
It's been on the schedule for Jan 4 for awhile. Hope it doesn't change

And I like JB but in no way shape or form is it better than Pulp. It maybe more rewatch able than Basterds but still prefer that to JB. I wasn't a Django fan. Need to rewatch sometime maybe

I could go into more depth on why I think this is better than and and why I think it's his best but I don't want to spoil the film. To each their own.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
How the f*** can anyone think Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction? I get we all have different tastes, but I can't even see an argument being made in this particular case.

Bridget Fonda was hotter than Uma Thurman. That's about it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
How the f*** can anyone think Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction? I get we all have different tastes, but I can't even see an argument being made in this particular case.

Jackie Brown has what was good about Pulp Fiction, just a little more of it.

Pam Grier's performance in Jackie Brown is better than anyone in Pulp Fiction by a long shot. Jackie Brown also has the better supporting cast, in both terms of talent and performance. The film takes everything great about blaxploitation films and culture and gives it depth and resonance. You can call Jackie Brown a expose about the undying spirit and resolve of the black woman in America and it talks about what black women have to do to get ahead. As an African American man who was raised by black women and has sisters have have had to overcome a lot to get where they are, QT nailed it. Pam Grier's Jackie Brown remains Tarantino's best female character ever.

The soundtrack is probably the best in any Tarantino film, it starts with 110th Street by Bobby Womack and it really sets the tones.

The relationship between Jackie Brown and Max Cherry is the best relationship in any of QT's films. Despite being a great crime thriller, it's a great love story as well.

Tarantino was able to take the work of Elmore Leonard and completely put his stamp on the material. When I read Rum Punch now, it's hard not to read it through Tarantino's filter. That's the mark of a great adaptation.

Jackie Brown is also the most confident Tarantino film, it's not overtly stylish or flashy, it simply relies on the story and the characters. Whereas Pulp Fiction relies on its non-linear narrative and zainy pop culture references. It's his most 'mature' film to date.