2015 TV Thread

LDF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Mr. Robot:

f*** Vera, I hope Elliot goes insane and burns him alive. I really liked Shayla.

:(

They did a great foreshadow that I missed the first time. When they get into the car and leave the first time after they take Elliot hostage, they briefly show the back of the car, and you heard a dull thud of the body rolling around as it pulls away.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 02:00 AM)
Saw the last two episodes of a certain HBO show today.

f*** it, I can talk about one of them.

The newest episode of True Detective was out of this world. I feel bad for the people who gave up because you're missing out. The episode was 70 minutes long and it may be the best 70mins of anything that I have seen all year. After watching I thought that it was the best episode of the series to date, and I would be put right up there with Breaking Bad's Ozymandias, which I consider to be one of the best episodes of TV ever made (in recent memory).

My favorite character this season was Paul, who is played by Taylor Kitsch. When they introduced the 'closeted gay man' dynamic, I originally thought that was horribly cliche and a terrible stereotype but now, I don't have a problem with it because of how well it was done. I think that Paul's character is kind of a metaphor, that although America might be becoming more and more accepting of the LGBTQ community, there are still people who struggle who believe that their 'urges and nature' are natural due to how they were brought up or some exterior reason. A lot of people are telling others who are struggling with this issue, brush it off like 'its okay to be gay, just come out to everyone', while they may mean well what they're suggesting is nothing but an ignorant and extremely simplified solution to something that a lot of people struggle to accept. There's a moment near the end of the episode where Paul is confronted by some people from his past, who were able to find and blackmail him into meeting by threatening to out him. During the meeting, one of the guys tells Paul, "If you'd just been honest with yourself then none of this would be happening to you." Me and all the people, I watched that episode with all let out a collective gasp, it felt like being punched in the gut. So when Paul is running away from the people from his past, he isn't just running away from people carrying weapons, he is running from his sexuality. And even after being a few hours removed from the episode am I still bothered by the whole situation, but that just shows how good it was, especially from the writing and acting.

As a HUGE fan of something called Star Wars, I hated how Mace Windu (Sam L Jackson) was killed in Ep. III, for such an awesome and bad ass character, he died like a punk and that is not a criticism of the acting but of the writing and it is my biggest gripe of the prequel trilogy (well, that and Hayden Christensen's performance as Anakin). I thought that because he's a gay character that if he were to die, he'd die in an emasculating way, but Paul had his blaze of glory and had a warrior's death.

I used to not think highly of Taylor Kitsch's abilities as an actor but he has really won me over and he's been a highlight of the season.

Everything about this episode was great and it really raised the stakes for the finale but this aspect of the episode is what took it from being good and made it great.

Edited by Joshua Strong

I have to admit, I'm really lost as to what the hell is actually happening in TD this season.

There's an article on Slate breaking all of it down and even that thing is too long to read.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:40 AM)
I have to admit, I'm really lost as to what the hell is actually happening in TD this season.

There's an article on Slate breaking all of it down and even that thing is too long to read.

Read the followups on Polygon.com or the True Detective subreddit.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 02:18 AM)
Read the followups on Polygon.com or the True Detective subreddit.

I took a good 10 minutes yesterday to read it, I think I'm completely caught up now for the finale.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:40 AM)

I read that Slate article. It was long, but worth the time imo.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 12:53 AM)
I read the Slate article and I have to say that I am still confused on what the hell is going on. Seems like they are trying to fit way too much in with too many characters. Hopefully the finale will help a little bit at least

i'm interested to see the finale to see how much of this was necessary.. this season was so convoluted

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
Great episode of Mr Robot. Really curious how Elliot gets out of what he said to his shrink, and how Wellick gets out of his rooftop visit.

The shrink stuff isn't that big of a deal. He can always threaten to leak everything about her. Plus I think he was trying to relate to her, and if she's as lonely as he is, she wouldn't go to the cops with that. Plus, there's always client confidentiality.

Tyrell might be screwed though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
The shrink stuff isn't that big of a deal. He can always threaten to leak everything about her. Plus I think he was trying to relate to her, and if she's as lonely as he is, she wouldn't go to the cops with that. Plus, there's always client confidentiality.

Tyrell might be screwed though.

Tyrell is more odd than Elliott.

Glad the last two eps have gotten better than the previous 2.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Tyrell is more odd than Elliott.

Glad the last two eps have gotten better than the previous 2.

Yeah he's a bigger sociopath than Elliot. I mean, who would have gay sex and strangle people just to move up the corporate ladder?

Now that I think about it, he and his wife remind me a lot of Claire and Frank Underwood.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Yeah he's a bigger sociopath than Elliot. I mean, who would have gay sex and strangle people just to move up the corporate ladder?

Now that I think about it, he and his wife remind me a lot of Claire and Frank Underwood.

Elliot is more skitzo than anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Great episode of Mr Robot. Really curious how Elliot gets out of what he said to his shrink, and how Wellick gets out of his rooftop visit.

Remember that he specifically told her to take the back stairs so there would be no cameras.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Remember that he specifically told her to take the back stairs so there would be no cameras.

Yeah, my wonder was if he was saying that originally to try to trick her so he could blackmail her later, or if that was true.