2015 TV Thread

LDF

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Yeah he's a bigger sociopath than Elliot. I mean, who would have gay sex and strangle people just to move up the corporate ladder?

Now that I think about it, he and his wife remind me a lot of Claire and Frank Underwood.

So, I think I missed the big episode for him somehow. That scene where he randomly fires people seemed really over the top, but makes sense more now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I had read a bunch on Pajiba about how the reboot in season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire was so much better.

Started watching it on a whim this weekend. I do like it a lot. The main character last year who is secondary now, he does suck.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
So, I think I missed the big episode for him somehow. That scene where he randomly fires people seemed really over the top, but makes sense more now.

There is a big reveal that still needs to happen for him. There is something big there we don't know about.

I wonder if he is a spy or something. There is a big secret there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
There is a big reveal that still needs to happen for him. There is something big there we don't know about.

I wonder if he is a spy or something. There is a big secret there.

Pretty good point.

Would line up if he were the dark army guy, unless I missed some part that explained that. Wouldn't surprise me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
Pretty good point.

Would line up if he were the dark army guy, unless I missed some part that explained that. Wouldn't surprise me.

Could be, though the dark army communications were all in Asian characters (Chinese, Japanese?). He seems to be some sort of Eastern European as a guess from the language he speaks with his wife.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
lol, yeah, like anyone would have been super upset if something from that finale had been spoiled for them.

Yeah, I actually told my brother beforehand that I wasn't going to be watching the finale live but that I didn't care about spoilers. I wish I would have gone through with dropping the show after episode 3 but I'm fairly obsessive about finishing things so I suffered through the rest of the season. I will not be watching season 3 though unless both the reviews from critics as well as word of mouth from anyone I know who still watches it are both good. This season was a chore to get through.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)

Could be, though the dark army communications were all in Asian characters (Chinese, Japanese?). He seems to be some sort of Eastern European as a guess from the language he speaks with his wife.

Was that Eastern European? I swear everytime he talks in that language it sounds different.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)

Was that Eastern European? I swear everytime he talks in that language it sounds different.

To my extremely uneducated ear it sounded like it, but I could well be wrong. Whatever it was, it definitely didn't sound Asian like the Dark Army exchanges.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
lol, yeah, like anyone would have been super upset if something from that finale had been spoiled for them.

I assume that youre joking but in all seriousness, I actually want to work in the field and with that studio (WB) in particular and if I do something like violate an NDA and they find out and my chances with working with them are over.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
If multiple shootouts, raids and detective work is boring then yes that was the definition of bland

Look, I know you study film and want to work in it but that show was mediocre at best this time around. If it wasn't for the first season then that show would've been cancelled. It's too bad but it was a tough act to follow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)

To my extremely uneducated ear it sounded like it, but I could well be wrong. Whatever it was, it definitely didn't sound Asian like the Dark Army exchanges.

IIRC, they are speaking Swedish. I have a habit of watching with the CC on and it mentioned it.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
This season of True Detective was too pretentious and convoluted. It wasn't all bad, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I agree 100%.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
IIRC, they are speaking Swedish. I have a habit of watching with the CC on and it mentioned it.

Yes after watching that 3rd episode now, definitely scandinavian, etc.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
Look, I know you study film and want to work in it but that show was mediocre at best this time around. If it wasn't for the first season then that show would've been cancelled. It's too bad but it was a tough act to follow.

I hope that it doesn't sound like I am placing my opinion above others because what I do in school and for a living outside the forum, if it comes of that way it's certainly not my intention.

And yet, I completely disagree with everything you said. If TDS2 were the show's first seasn it would've guaranteed a second season just based on the ratings alone. Recently the President of HBO said that they're waiting to open up negotiations with Nic Pizzolatto for a third season and more depending on him (he said during the first season that he is hoping for at least 5), Pizzolatto also has another show in development at the network and he has some high profile screenwriting gigs coming up. Nic Pizzolatto isn't going anywhere for a while, the same goes for True Detective. (I don't follow the points and ratings but S2 has been one of the network's highest rated programs, and is one of theit popular brands)

Now, I've said this before and after seeing the whole season I feel vavalidated when I say TDS2> TDS1. I liked the plot and storyline better, the psychosphere was much improved this time in my opinion and the characters were amazing. I could go on but in short I think S2 is way better than 1.

I would compare True Detective to what happens when a band puts a phenomenonal debut album (both critically and commercially) and in its aftermath the hype starts to build up amongst fans and the media and in the building of the hype, both parties either start to write the music in their heads or/want (demand) a rehash of the debut. And when the band puts out their (just as good if not better) sophomore album, people are judge it for what it's not instead by what it is.

While I understand people may like or dislike certain things, some of the reviews for this season come off like the person who wrote the review either isn't paying attention to the storyline, has some kind of preconceived agenda (some of articles written by critics/bloggers who are affiliated with the alphabet groups are very infuriating, they (GLAAD) sound like they have old fashioned views on gay characters (I can rant about GLADD and some members of the MAC all day)), or

they bash the show for not being the second season and while I disagree with that school of criticism, that would make more sense when you're critiquing a traditional serialized television show, that has no place when judging a self contained anthology series.

When people asked me what I wanted from the second season of the show after the first season finale, I said that all I want for it is to be good. I think that's the only thing that you/we (the audience) can ask for when it comes to art, anything other than that and you're bound to be disappointed.

As I said on reddit and at the viewing party, I wish more people would've watched this without preconceived notions and ideas, because they're missing out. For those that prematurely dropped the show, get away from it for a bit and start the season again (this time watch it in its entirety) and come to your own opinions and conclusions. I'll bet you'll be signing a different tune, if not you can say that I was wrong.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:48 AM)
Season 1 and 2 of TD are night and day.

Oh my god.... that's the point. If you own a dictionary or an encyclopedia, look up the word anthology. Write it down ten times and tell me what it means

Edited by Joshua Strong