Other Trade Options

LDF

i have been ruminating about this long and hard, for the last several weeks.

over the holidays, again how Wash would love to move several key players

to have enuf financial flexibility in their payroll to invest what they need. i still

can't understand why they will be willing to move these players, only they was

a long term major player. so my thought would be, sign them to an extension.

well they want to move Ian Desmond, Doug Fister, Jordan Zimmermann and Span.

the other part of the article is they would like to make the move rather quickly. these

players all have 1 yr left on their contracts and finding someone to take them on

may be hard, that is if the price would be right. they really want Max Scherzer,

so what would be a price for of Zimmerman / Fister / Desmond. remember 1 or 2

of these players will give them the instant room to go after Scherzer, and they have

a history of dealing with his agent. all have the same agent.

these players are and will still be good enuf to offer a QO and get draft picks back.

fix and provide other options that imo need to be address. it will be a great stopgap

to get to the playoff next yr and then let the farm start producing.

in order of what i would like to offer. Hawkins, Beck, Adolfo, Sanburn, May and if needed

Webb.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
Why the fear of rookies covering one position?

you make the team as strong as possible for the playoff. again in

another thread i said that the sox brass may think the same way.

why are they looking for other options such as a possible Drew.

mlb trade rumors/

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
i think the Sox are done with all major moves for now. They are probably going into "lets see what we've got" mode until June or July, and adjust accordingly

well yeah, that is the basic SOP for them, lets get a little talent, then

lets go and see if they can do it. now this is one of my main b****

about the ownership.

in the situation i mention, get another pitcher, ensure thru the

potential of the players talent, that the team will be undoubtedly

tough to beat.

after the season play both pitchers against each other to extend

a contract or let them both walk with a QO. the sox is loosing 2

picks, with 2 QO pitcher, A+ pitchers. the sox will get 2 additional

picks in the 1 rd with there own pick. they will also be getting a

slotted money as well.

next yr may not be a grand slam draft, but it will be a solid draft.

getting 3 - 1 rd pick will help ease the pain of the lost pick.

the prospect lost, as long as it is not anderson or rodon or adams,

i can live with it. playoff and more will ease that pain.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
i think the Sox are done with all major moves for now. They are probably going into "lets see what we've got" mode until June or July, and adjust accordingly

I think the only move they might still make is trading Dayan Viciedo but if they don't I won't mind. He can still play OF and DH and maybe a fill in once in a great while at 1B

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
I think the only move they might still make is trading Dayan Viciedo but if they don't I won't mind. He can still play OF and DH and maybe a fill in once in a great while at 1B

no matter what, DV should be on the agenda to do something with

him, whether it is trading him or something.

TPA can use a DH .....

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
well yeah, that is the basic SOP for them, lets get a little talent, then

lets go and see if they can do it. now this is one of my main b****

about the ownership.

in the situation i mention, get another pitcher, ensure thru the

potential of the players talent, that the team will be undoubtedly

tough to beat.

after the season play both pitchers against each other to extend

a contract or let them both walk with a QO. the sox is loosing 2

picks, with 2 QO pitcher, A+ pitchers. the sox will get 2 additional

picks in the 1 rd with there own pick. they will also be getting a

slotted money as well.

next yr may not be a grand slam draft, but it will be a solid draft.

getting 3 - 1 rd pick will help ease the pain of the lost pick.

the prospect lost, as long as it is not anderson or rodon or adams,

i can live with it. playoff and more will ease that pain.

The cost has to be justified though too. I really feel that adding a good, solid mid-rotation starter would be good too, but I don't know that they have the funds available within their budget to make such a move while also maintaining flexibility to add at the deadline as well. So that leaves trading for another starter like that and I don't know that they want to give up much more than they already have this offseason. It's the same thing with Zobrist as well. Yes, he'd be a significant upgrade, but he's going to cost quite a bit of talent and you can't ensure that he is a long-term solution to the problem.

The Sox are in a position where they have a good deal of talent, but not a lot of depth, and trading for marginal or even significant upgrades at this point in time further depletes that depth. Aside from a minor move or two, I do think they're pretty much done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)
The cost has to be justified though too. I really feel that adding a good, solid mid-rotation starter would be good too, but I don't know that they have the funds available within their budget to make such a move while also maintaining flexibility to add at the deadline as well. So that leaves trading for another starter like that and I don't know that they want to give up much more than they already have this offseason. It's the same thing with Zobrist as well. Yes, he'd be a significant upgrade, but he's going to cost quite a bit of talent and you can't ensure that he is a long-term solution to the problem.

The Sox are in a position where they have a good deal of talent, but not a lot of depth, and trading for marginal or even significant upgrades at this point in time further depletes that depth. Aside from a minor move or two, I do think they're pretty much done.

this is a great post. too bad i really don't have time to post what

i want. later......

great post.

When your post is posted I'd like to post a comment. After my sandwich I will be back. But here's the kicker to flip the Switch...

What's Hahn going to do about the Dayan Viciedo situation as I fell it hasn't been discussed. Quality discussion.

Thanks, jsticks.

thinking of what been said about other players, it got me thinking on

what if Hahn doesn't do or add anyone else. what are the options.

well the sox could use DV as the spare backup for the outfield. i really

can imagine that the sox will let the infield be. in not addressing the backup

for the infield, i can imagine Davidson being the backup. last yr the sox

had high hopes and it turn into the horrible nightmare. i can envision

that the sox will still think he may rebound.

same sort of options that the sox were depending on last yr and everything

went wrong.

the point is, no matter what we say, the sox will do what they will do. we

can't make them do crap. it is always like they say, show you, the fans,

are interested in the team to do better. well they the sox wants the fans

to pay first, why??? by paying first, it will not be included in the salary until

the following yr. they the team will get 1 yr of free interest.

this is a lesson that the owners learned from Dollar Bill of the Hawks.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
thinking of what been said about other players, it got me thinking on

what if Hahn doesn't do or add anyone else. what are the options.

well the sox could use DV as the spare backup for the outfield. i really

can imagine that the sox will let the infield be. in not addressing the backup

for the infield, i can imagine Davidson being the backup. last yr the sox

had high hopes and it turn into the horrible nightmare. i can envision

that the sox will still think he may rebound.

same sort of options that the sox were depending on last yr and everything

went wrong.

the point is, no matter what we say, the sox will do what they will do. we

can't make them do crap. it is always like they say, show you, the fans,

are interested in the team to do better. well they the sox wants the fans

to pay first, why??? by paying first, it will not be included in the salary until

the following yr. they the team will get 1 yr of free interest.

this is a lesson that the owners learned from Dollar Bill of the Hawks.

Viciedo would be a great option as a backup corner OF and backup DH/1b if he could put up a >.800 OPS against lefties. Basically, if he were a decent hitter against lefties he'd fit our needs perfectly off the bench. The problem continues to be that he hasn't had good platoon splits against lefties since 2012 and he was an abjectly terrible hitter against everyone last year. He'd be an upgrade over LaRoche against lefties since LaRoche was almost Leury-bad against lefties, but that doesn't mean he'd be any good.

Worse, I still think the only way Viciedo will ever amount to anything is if he gets consistent at bats. At this point that might be even in the minor leagues with someone or on a team that thinks they're out of it from day 1. Is he going to get better against lefties if he's playing 1-2 days a week?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)

which numbers are you and everyone is using. the previous 90-100 mil?? well they have

surpass that number by a lot. as you said, the sox need to be really smart in adding

any other players.

it may not cost the huge haul to acquire 1 of the players i have mention before. protect the

main core and trade the others prospects. some of those prospects will take several yrs to

fulfill their potential. as i am saying and will continue to say, the window of opportunity is now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 11:21 PM)
Viciedo would be a great option as a backup corner OF and backup DH/1b if he could put up a >.800 OPS against lefties. Basically, if he were a decent hitter against lefties he'd fit our needs perfectly off the bench. The problem continues to be that he hasn't had good platoon splits against lefties since 2012 and he was an abjectly terrible hitter against everyone last year. He'd be an upgrade over LaRoche against lefties since LaRoche was almost Leury-bad against lefties, but that doesn't mean he'd be any good.

Worse, I still think the only way Viciedo will ever amount to anything is if he gets consistent at bats. At this point that might be even in the minor leagues with someone or on a team that thinks they're out of it from day 1. Is he going to get better against lefties if he's playing 1-2 days a week?

ohhh very interesting thought. i like the way you are thinking. thinking outside the box.

either way, DV will not help the team if he is not traded or something.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
ohhh very interesting thought. i like the way you are thinking. thinking outside the box.

either way, DV will not help the team if he is not traded or something.

The problem is, Viciedo literally won't be on our minor league team. For us to keep him next year costs >$4 million. He might benefit from a few months on some team's minor league squad, but we're not paying him that kind of money to be in the minors. We might not pay him that kind of money to be on the bench either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
The problem is, Viciedo literally won't be on our minor league team. For us to keep him next year costs >$4 million. He might benefit from a few months on some team's minor league squad, but we're not paying him that kind of money to be in the minors. We might not pay him that kind of money to be on the bench either.

i forgot about that.

so let say the sox subtract that 4 mil that will leave some extra money

to spend elsewhere.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 05:23 PM)
which numbers are you and everyone is using. the previous 90-100 mil?? well they have

surpass that number by a lot. as you said, the sox need to be really smart in adding

any other players.

it may not cost the huge haul to acquire 1 of the players i have mention before. protect the

main core and trade the others prospects. some of those prospects will take several yrs to

fulfill their potential. as i am saying and will continue to say, the window of opportunity is now.

I don't know what the numbers are...I'm basing it on the values of the contracts are that they've given out and what Rick Hahn has implied throughout the process, namely the comments after the Melky signing that "we're not done, but we don't have much more to spend" [sic].

At the end of the day though, the Sox have to make money so they can be self-sustaining. If they went out and spent $160 million and then lost their asses, they'd be forced to go through an Astros style rebuild where they spend virtually no money and alienate their fan base, which could likely find them on their way out of Chicago in 15 years.

The Sox have guys for all of their positions now, and they have comfort in those guys. If they believe that Danks and Noesi are capable starters for the back end of the rotation - we'll assume they are 1 WAR pitchers, which means they are below average starting pitchers - then the price to replace those guys must be logical and justified. Replacing Danks at that cost is a virtual impossibility to make sense fiscally because they'd have to eat a substantial amount of his salary (we'll say $10 million) to move him, plus they'd have to bring in a guy for approximately $10 million to substitute and be a 2 WAR pitcher for them. We've already established that we're assuming Danks is a 1 WAR pitcher, so the Sox would be paying $20 million for 1 WAR. We'd be removing the $10 million cost it would take to move Noesi, but they'd still be paying $10 million for what amounts to a marginal upgrade.

To bring in Zobrist, it's going to cost Anderson, Montas, Danish, or Johnson PLUS some. That's for 1 guaranteed year of Ben Zobrist and a compensation pick. At that point, you're back to looking for a 2B (maybe Carlos Sanchez? who knows) while delaying the potential development of those prospects.

Nevermind the cost that it could take to bring in any of the players from Washington, because they'd be including MORE for those guys than what it would take for Zobrist and the upgrades wouldn't make sense. Any trade for any of those guys you mention from Washington are absolutely going to take Anderson and then Washington is going to be hard-pressed to make any move without a certain player to be named later (whose actually named Carlos Rodon). Those are very, very good players and acquiring them would destroy the little depth the Sox have. If everyone stayed healthy, then sure, the Sox could very easily be the favorites in the Central, but one injury knocks them out of that position and then they're using Brad Penny or Dylan Axelrod types as their 6th or 7th starters and that's not a situation the Sox want to put themselves in.

Really, I'm happy with the pieces they have in place and, unless they can get Zobrist for Carlos Sanchez plus a couple of other prospects (not happening), then it's not going to be justifiable. I'd like to see a couple bench bats brought in, but those pieces will come through and the Sox, whether right or wrong, have never really valued the bench as highly as they could or should. They don't HAVE to make any substantial or significant moves to be relevant and good this year. They've really done enough as it is.

i was trying to imply of some actual hard number but as you, i am going to what has

been implied and said. i also remember a long time ago and i am sorry but you have

to trust me on this. the sox and management has a number where they, the owners

will accept as profits. it is a hard number, and if the spending is move that the budget

they assign, they will considered it a lost. even though they still makes a profit. it is all

based on the budget.

they the owners of the sox have always made a profit base on how they work the budget.

however there are hidden revenue that is not talked about or acknowledge. the sox corp

has several subsidiaries companies, it is like a multi headed creature. they use it to make

and diversify the profit and lose. i am all for them making money, but lets keep it honest

and not be blinded.

anyway, the money the is being spent, according to either the newspapers or someone, the

ticket sales has taken a significant jump as well. there were more times in the past when i

complained that the sox needed to make 1 or 2 more moves, instead they, the sox took

the Blackhawk route. do enuf to field the team and max the profits.

there were many opportunities lost b/c the sox didn't want to reach for that golden ring. instead

the sox is the last fiddle in chicago, and i will not talk about the management and lousy

drafting history. now the sox can over take the northsiders easily, just by fielding a playoff

team. the sox should not bet on the come in this roll of a dice game they always play. if

the sox make a acquire 1 or 2 really needed pieces, without giving up the ship, then do it. we

as fans really don't know how much it will take. then let them walk with a QO and use the

draft picks to continue drafting better players. players drafted in the 1 rd as oppose to

getting lucky and hoping for a quality player in the later round.

the thing is, if the rumors are true, even the sox are looking at another player for the infield.

so we are not that far off, we are talking about how and different way in getting the same.