WhiteSox and Emilio Bonifacio agree to one year, $4 million contr

Downtown518

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
Bonifacio is the perfect bench player. He can play 6 positions, makes decent contact and can steal bases. Really makes it easy to pinch hit for players when you have a guy that can fill in virtually anywhere on the field. I'm not going to quibble about an extra million. This is a great pickup. Players like him are super valuable in October.

Edit: The club option makes it even better. If the Sox pick it up it means he did a good job in '15.

here is a thought, does anyone think he may be slotted for a

starting 2b???

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
Leury now probably goes to AAA where he really belonged in 2014. I still have hope for him as a versatile bench piece. He can't hit, but he doesn't have to hit much with all the other things he brings to the table.

My feeling on Leury is the same as it was months ago - I'd be shocked if he's even in the organization come April. And if he is he's in Charlotte. I don't think he was ever going to get serious consideration for a MLB job in 2015 with the Sox, barring unforseen injuries. Sanchez and probably even Saladino were more likely options, and both still may be that.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
Who gets lopped off the roster?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
My feeling on Leury is the same as it was months ago - I'd be shocked if he's even in the organization come April. And if he is he's in Charlotte. I don't think he was ever going to get serious consideration for a MLB job in 2015 with the Sox, barring unforseen injuries. Sanchez and probably even Saladino were more likely options, and both still may be that.

DFA for now, trade later probably.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
Well if the Sox suck next year, nobody here better blame Rick Hahn, because he is doing everything Soxtalk has demanded.

I think Bonifacio gets overrated because of a couple hot streaks (mostly fantasy baseball fans), but he's still better than a lot of the bench pieces the Sox have recently had.

Oh ye of little faith.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
just for discussion sake,

so you think the sox will stick with Sanchez and use Bonifacio as a

super bench kind of a player.

Either Sanchez or Johnson, yes. We didn't see the potential versatility that Semien offered but I think he would have played this role with the Sox. Now they have a guy who does this but better and he provides more versatility and better options late in games as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Either Sanchez or Johnson, yes. We didn't see the potential versatility that Semien offered but I think he would have played this role with the Sox. Now they have a guy who does this but better and he provides more versatility and better options late in games as well.

good point. i too think the sox should start with Sanchez at 2nd and let him

to continue to develop. have Emilio at the super sub and starter if needed.

now what to do with DV

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Looking at the makeup of the team, it's too bad Davidson isn't good enough to be a straight platoon with Gillaspie at 3B.

i just don't know about that. i think the sox is going to do a

wait and see with him come spring.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
good point. i too think the sox should start with Sanchez at 2nd and let him

to continue to develop. have Emilio at the super sub and starter if needed.

now what to do with DV

If Bonifacio was signed to be the regular 2B, he would be a downgrade from Gordon Beckham.

Probably an overpay so hopefully we can afford it. I don't think Danks' or Viciedo's roster spots are gone yet so I don't see any time for him in the OF, so I think his greatest value will be insurance at third and second. Looks like he's much better hitting righty, which may not actually be a bad thing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
I would think that Andy Wilkins or Raul Fernandez will be DFA to make room unless a trade is coming.

Yeah, sometimes there's a lag time between a signing being made public and a physical to make it official. Could be days, and they're obviously trying to move Viciedo for anything.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Probably an overpay so hopefully we can afford it. I don't think Danks' or Viciedo's roster spots are gone yet so I don't see any time for him in the OF, so I think his greatest value will be insurance at third and second. Looks like he's much better hitting righty, which may not actually be a bad thing.

i would also think of a possible lead off if injury to Eaton

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
Looking at the makeup of the team, it's too bad Davidson isn't good enough to be a straight platoon with Gillaspie at 3B.

If he has another good ST, I think he can certainly compete to be that platoon for Gillaspie. Then make the bench Davidson, Bonifacio, Danks, Brantly/Kottraras

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
Finally, what SoxPride18 and I have been clamoring for for months!!!

That's what I'm talking about. Had this signing in my very first off season mock.