WhiteSox and Emilio Bonifacio agree to one year, $4 million contr

Downtown518

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everything goes according to plan, Bonifacio will be a high-playing time platoon bench player doing the Zobrist thing -- 2B, 3B, OF.

That said, there's a real chance that Sanchez/Johnson are awful, and Bonifacio gets a lot of starts. It's not plan A, but it's a better outcome than that time going to Leury or Saladino.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
If everything goes according to plan, Bonifacio will be a high-playing time platoon bench player doing the Zobrist thing -- 2B, 3B, OF.

That said, there's a real chance that Sanchez/Johnson are awful, and Bonifacio gets a lot of starts. It's not plan A, but it's a better outcome than that time going to Leury or Saladino.

100% agree. I'm not completely sold on Sanchez/Johnson being solid players. Bonifacio gives the Sox so much more flexibility. He's like Leury Garcia but 10X better.

A guy this versatile perhaps implies that Viciedo is staying.

Bonifacio is the 2015 Leury that allows Viciedo to be the 2015 Konerko. If so, I hope Tank can at least get back to crushing lefties.

I do like that it was for only $3 million, thought he'd go for more.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
I hope he'll be used as the utilityman that he is, but I have a feeling we'll try to start him at second.

Zero chance unless Sanchez and/or Micah fail at it first and Bonifacio is having an unexpectedly great season.

Better than the Saladino alternative I was thinking would happen, and I think it hints at the strong likelihood of Johnson winning the 2B job.

The means a bench of:

--Backup C

--Bonifacio

--4th OF (right now Viciedo)

--???

The ??? can be just about anyone, now that Bonifacio is there, because he can cover basically any position AND can PR. So his presence actually adds flexibility to the rest of the bench. You could go Sanchez or Saladino, or you could even have another OF, an extra pitcher, or heck even Davidson or Wilkins (though I think those are unlikely).

Hard not to like the move.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I don't get that feeling at all. Think the Sox have Bonifcatio pegged as the 10th man and they'll give Sanchez his shot.

Just that platoon numbers from year-to-year are pretty small samples. You're talking no more than 136 PA's against lefties in any of those three seasons. Look at the career numbers (.291/.340/.380/.720) and it's clear he's capable enough.

To quote Smokey Robinson, "I second that emotion."

In addition to platooning with Gillaspie, Bonifacio will see playing time late in games when the Sox are trying to protect a lead in the late innings: bring Bonifacio to play at 3B, and move Gillaspie across the diamond to spell Jose Abreu at 1B.

The first time Bonifacio strikes out with the bases loaded, I will personally give myself 40 lashes with a wet noodle. Rick Hahn gets no quarrel about this signing from me. Strengthen the rotation: check. Strengthen the bullpen: check. Strengthen the bench: check. Next up, work on trading Dayan Viciedo. Tampa Bay, Seattle, Yankees – there are still some teams that could use Viciedo.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
Better than the Saladino alternative I was thinking would happen, and I think it hints at the strong likelihood of Johnson winning the 2B job.

The means a bench of:

--Backup C

--Bonifacio

--???

The ??? can be just about anyone, now that Bonifacio is there, because he can cover basically any position AND can PR. So his presence actually adds flexibility to the rest of the bench. You could go Sanchez or Saladino, or you could even have another OF, an extra pitcher, or heck even Davidson or Wilkins (though I think those are unlikely).

Hard not to like the move.

I'd have to say right now Danks, Viciedo, and Shuck are in contention for the last 2 bench spots. If Viciedo is traded, Shuck will have a better shot, but Danks will have a spot, and it's for him to lose. With the health issues of Eaton and defensive struggles of Avi, we absolutely need someone who's a defensive minded OF. Danks fits that bill.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)

I agree it's better not to have to pencil Saladino in. Let him get healthy and hit his way onto the team. But if Johnson wins the 2B job, Sanchez is back to AAA. Couldn't they have just used Sanchez as the utility infielder

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
The means a bench of:

--Backup C

--Bonifacio

--???

If Bonifacio means Viciedo stays, I would say:

--Backup C (Kottaras)

--Bonifacio

--3rd DH (Viciedo)

-- A lefty who is a good defender. You don't want 2 of your 4 bench players to be defensive liabilities. So I'd assume..(Danks)

Considering Bonifacio hits lefties WAY better than Viciedo does, and Bonifacio is a competent or maybe above average OF defender...

I really, REALLY hope Viciedo isn't on this team. I'd DFA him, honestly. I know, I know, but this isn't a "see what we have" season anymore. Jordan Danks is a much more valuable bench asset for 2015.

Viciedo shouldn't be and probably won't be on the bench or team. Carrying him on the bench would be a worse version of konerko last year. Ideal bench is to have versatility. Back up catcher ( Brantley, kottaras, nieto), 4th outfielder ( danks, shuck, compana), utility infielder (garcia, sanchez, saladino,) and super utility player ( bonifacio). Compana would be pretty interesting if he some how took the 4th outfield spot with his speed along with eaton, johnson and bonifacio would be crazy. Probably could still use a back up infielder and let Garcia and sanchez get consistent playing time in the minors

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
I'm not sure including 2013 for Bonifacio helps him either.

There is little chance Bonifacio replicates his 2014 season vs. lefties, but I think he could still do better than Viciedo did the past 2 years. On top of that, Bonifacio 2014 season supports his career .290 average against lefties, while Viciedo is trending downward in that department. We needed a guy who could play 3B and hit lefties, Bonifacio fits that bill better than Viciedo, no need for debate here.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
Adam Eaton ‏@AdamSpankyEaton 3m3 minutes ago

Sorry for the late tweet on the trade. Was participating in baseball activities this morning :)

can someone tweet him and ask what are the responses from the players on what Hahn

has done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
EB .291/.341/.380

DV .291/.331/.507

Is that career? I am guilty of just looking at 2014 here.

Last year:

EB: 170 wRC+ (97 career)

DV: 81 wRC+ (124 career)

DV has been getting worse every year, but EB may be a dead-cat bounce that won't repeat.