WhiteSox and Emilio Bonifacio agree to one year, $4 million contr

Downtown518

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:07 AM)
20 homers, are you saying a 20 homer guy is a home run hitter? I say no way,

a 40 homer guy is home run hitter, but not 20. thanks, douglas

Ten years ago, no way.

Now....20-25, pretty close. Although in today's environment, I think 27.5 or even 30+ is the magic number to be considered a "home run hitter."

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:42 AM)
Ten years ago, no way.

Now....20-25, pretty close. Although in today's environment, I think 27.5 or even 30+ is the magic number to be considered a "home run hitter."

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has ever hit 27.5 HR in a season. Thanks, Dick.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:02 AM)
I guess it's like being a .300 hitter, not many of them around anymore. Used to

be a good hitter was a .300 guy. keeps it interesting. thanks, douglas

Thanks Douglas. Thanks, hi8is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 03:42 AM)
Ten years ago, no way.

Yeah but that ever elusive half of a HR makes it all the more rare to accomplish that. Thanks, Sonix

i was a big advocate on giving DV a chance. now that chance is suppose

to be as a fulltime hitter. to continue to let him figure it out. he has 20+

homerun power, that is a given esp when some hitters can't even break

the 10 mark.

however i don't know if being a spot starter or backup, with limited hitting

chances, can he still produce in the power number?? will he develop the

mind set of concentrating and making the best of his at bats, as some

of the best backup hitters do???

he will be a black hole as a backup hitter, imho.

Doug Padilla

‏@ESPNChiSox

White Sox make Bonifacio signing official. Jordan Danks designated for assignment. 40 man at 40.

JorDanks will be missed.....maybe.....ok just his glove.

Any chance he sticks around on a minor league deal? Especially if his brother isn't traded?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Any chance he sticks around on a minor league deal? Especially if his brother isn't traded?

I'm sure the Sox would like to keep him in Charlotte but it's up to Jordan if he wants to stay stuffed in Charlotte.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)

it will be a nice thing to let him walk and try for a spot on some other team outfield. if

he can't find a spot, then he can come back for a minor league deal.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
I'm sure the Sox would like to keep him in Charlotte but it's up to Jordan if he wants to stay stuffed in Charlotte.

If he clears waivers and is outrighted, does he have the ability at this point to refuse the assignment? I don't think he does. thanks, Dick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
If he clears waivers and is outrighted, does he have the ability at this point to refuse the assignment? I don't think he does. thanks, Dick.

I don't think he does either, because he still has one option left I believe. Does that mean he can't opt out of his contract because he still has options?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
I don't think he does either, because he still has one option left I believe. Does that mean he can't opt out of his contract because he still has options?

Actually he does not have any options left, as he used option years in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

He's also got 7 pro seasons. He's still under team control, but if they DFA him off the 40, I do believe he can refuse assignment. Not sure he would though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Actually he does not have any options left, as he used option years in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

He's also got 7 pro seasons. He's still under team control, but if they DFA him off the 40, I do believe he can refuse assignment. Not sure he would though.

You sure that he doesn't have an option left? Pretty sure we determined that he did on here earlier this winter. Could be just imagining that though. Fairly irrelevant at this point anyway.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
You sure that he doesn't have an option left? Pretty sure we determined that he did on here earlier this winter. Could be just imagining that though. Fairly irrelevant at this point anyway.

I'm not 100% sure. I just now he was majors and minors in 2012, 2013 and 2014. I'm fairly confident that means he has used 3 option years.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
I'm not 100% sure. I just now he was majors and minors in 2012, 2013 and 2014. I'm fairly confident that means he has used 3 option years.

I'm pretty sure Danks actually does have one option remaining, due to, IIRC, a relatively obscure rule that I read about somewhere. I don't recall the nature of the rule or where I read it, but up until he was DFA'd he was listed on this website as still having at least one option year (there's an "Out of options" column and it wasn't filled in for Danks).

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure.

It may not be the most popular opinion around here, but with the Bonifacio signing, I think Viciedo has a better chance of staying on the team than a month ago. Viciedo could provide power off the bench and platoon with LaRoche at DH.

I could see the bench something like Bonifaco, Viciedo, Brantly/Kottraras, Davidson (providing he has a good ST to platoon with Gillaspie).

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 06:16 PM)
I'm pretty sure Danks actually does have one option remaining, due to, IIRC, a relatively obscure rule that I read about somewhere. I don't recall the nature of the rule or where I read it, but up until he was DFA'd he was listed on this website as still having at least one option year (there's an "Out of options" column and it wasn't filled in for Danks).

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure.

Yea, that's what I was referring to.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 11, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
It may not be the most popular opinion around here, but with the Bonifacio signing, I think Viciedo has a better chance of staying on the team than a month ago. Viciedo could provide power off the bench and platoon with LaRoche at DH.

I could see the bench something like Bonifaco, Viciedo, Brantly/Kottraras, Davidson (providing he has a good ST to platoon with Gillaspie).

I think there is almost no chance Davidson is on our opening day roster next year. Overreacting to a small sample of spring training at-bats would incredibly short-sighted. After last season, he needs consistent playing time in AAA to prove that he can still be part of the big league picture.

As for Viciedo, I agree that having Bonifacio makes it easier to have Tank on the bench. And I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but I'd actually be ok with him as a reserve, since he could fill in at 4 spots (LF, RF, 1B, & DH) and provide a league average bat (if you assume last year was an outlier). The problem is both guys will make decent money and I just see Hahn committing that many resources to his bench.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
I think there is almost no chance Davidson is on our opening day roster next year. Overreacting to a small sample of spring training at-bats would incredibly short-sighted. After last season, he needs consistent playing time in AAA to prove that he can still be part of the big league picture.

As for Viciedo, I agree that having Bonifacio makes it easier to have Tank on the bench. And I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but I'd actually be ok with him as a reserve, since he could fill in at 4 spots (LF, RF, 1B, & DH) and provide a league average bat (if you assume last year was an outlier). The problem is both guys will make decent money and I just see Hahn committing that many resources to his bench.

I don't think there is any doubt that if the White Sox staff feels like they will get .250 and 25 to 30 HR out of Davidson, that he will be the starter. We know he won't be a worse defender than Conor, so it all comes down to the bat. Now the odds of that happening are about zero, but then again, we have no idea what the Sox think happened to Davidson this year, and what they are looking for to see if is different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
I don't think there is any doubt that if the White Sox staff feels like they will get .250 and 25 to 30 HR out of Davidson, that he will be the starter. We know he won't be a worse defender than Conor, so it all comes down to the bat. Now the odds of that happening are about zero, but then again, we have no idea what the Sox think happened to Davidson this year, and what they are looking for to see if is different.

I just think the Sox will want to give Davidson a few months in AAA no matter what. Matt has fully admitted his confidence was pretty much shot last year, so throwing him into the major league fire from the get-go next year seems like a recipe for disaster IMO. I'll be honest, I'm pretty low on Davidson at the moment, but I'd rather see him regain his confidence and show some actual results before I give him a major league role. Spring training simply isn't enough for me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
I just think the Sox will want to give Davidson a few months in AAA no matter what. Matt has fully admitted his confidence was pretty much shot last year, so throwing him into the major league fire from the get-go next year seems like a recipe for disaster IMO. I'll be honest, I'm pretty low on Davidson at the moment, but I'd rather see him regain his confidence and show some actual results before I give him a major league role. Spring training simply isn't enough for me.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this post. The best thing for Davidson would be a ST invite to work with Steverson some more and then go to Charlotte to start the season. Hopefully he can rebuild his confidence and be ready if/when the Sox need him. Good thing is he is plenty young enough to turn it around so there's still hope.