2015 AL Central Thread

flavum

The Tigers have some interesting decisions to make on Price and Cespedes.

They obviously have Victor Martinez under contract, Kinsler, Verlander, Cabrera...so it's very hard to blow it up at this point, or start a rebuild going into 2016.

A decent core of young-ish guys in Iglesias, Gose, JD Martinez, Castellanos as well, but they just don't have the pitching in the majors or minors. Even Anibal Sanchez has been a shade of his former self. Losing Scherzer has hurt more than anyone realized, as the pressure has fallen more on other members of the rotation to pick up the slack.

As usual, the bullpen has been hit or miss.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
The Tigers have some interesting decisions to make on Price and Cespedes.

They obviously have Victor Martinez under contract, Kinsler, Verlander, Cabrera...so it's very hard to blow it up at this point, or start a rebuild going into 2016.

A decent core of young-ish guys in Iglesias, Gose, JD Martinez, Castellanos as well, but they just don't have the pitching in the majors or minors. Even Anibal Sanchez has been a shade of his former self. Losing Scherzer has hurt more than anyone realized, as the pressure has fallen more on other members of the rotation to pick up the slack.

As usual, the bullpen has been hit or miss.

If people are bleak about our future, I can't imagine how they feel about the Tigers future. They are getting very old and expensive, very quickly. Some key wheels are also starting to see some wear.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
If people are bleak about our future, I can't imagine how they feel about the Tigers future. They are getting very old and expensive, very quickly. Some key wheels are also starting to see some wear.

They're stuck with Verlander, Martinez, and Kinsler's salaries for awhile.

Even Miggy's deal is going to be a problem if he keeps getting injured. He's only 32, but he has 12 MLB seasons on him already.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
That Friday meltdown looks like it devastated the Tigers. They had beaten Minny on Thursday, had the game well in hand on Friday, and then WHAM. they lose the series.

Tough game.

Tigers might decide to sell.

Maybe they could sell Price, but other then that I don't know how they sell. They have so much payroll committed to contend and I presume they'd want to give it another go. Not to mention, they aren't exactly out of the race.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)

Even Miggy's deal is going to be a problem if he keeps getting injured. He's only 32, but he has 12 MLB seasons on him already.

And even if they bring back Cespedes and Price, they are looking at something like $300 to $400 million more long term dollars to do it. That thought makes me :)

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)

They deserve what they are getting giving Verlander that kind of a contract. Dumb.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
Yordano Ventura optioned to AAA.

Good to see him struggle after all the stupid s*** he pulled early in the year.

Glad to see "Diapers" getting sent down - not a fan.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
It would be nice to have the second or third best team in baseball and still have the luxury of sending down the equivalent of Carlos Rodon with little or no impact on the product on the field.

I still think their starting rotation ends up biting them in the ass later this year. They've gotten the least amount of innings from their rotation out of any team in baseball except the Rockies, and they're last in WAR for their rotation in the AL. They have an amazing bullpen, but it's got the highest usage rate in the league (the only reason the Rays' bullpen is ahead in IP is because the Rays have played 5 more games than the Royals). That doesn't bode well for the end of the season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
Yordano Ventura optioned to AAA.

Good to see him struggle after all the stupid s*** he pulled early in the year.

And that is the downside of an early extension. The White Sox have been pretty darned impressive with these types of deals so far.

So the Detroit Tigers owe Verlander about 28 million a year for 2016, 17, 18 and 19. Bear with me a second. Let's say the Tigers let somebody else sign Verlander instead of giving him that ridiculous contract. Would it have killed the Tigers? Buried the Tigers? No.

The SMART PLAY if you are a GM of any team is simply refuse to give big contracts to pitchers. Just say no. Ha ha to Detroit.

Final comment on this: Let's say Verlander becomes so rotten he gets hammered almost every start the rest of his contract. Do they make him a long reliever at 28 mill a year? It's all Monopoly money in sports, but unfortunately the money the customer spends is not Monopoly money. Gimme a 10 dollar beer please and an 8 dollar hot dog, I'm hungry.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
So the Detroit Tigers owe Verlander about 28 million a year for 2016, 17, 18 and 19. Bear with me a second. Let's say the Tigers let somebody else sign Verlander instead of giving him that ridiculous contract. Would it have killed the Tigers? Buried the Tigers? No.

The SMART PLAY if you are a GM of any team is simply refuse to give big contracts to pitchers. Just say no. Ha ha to Detroit.

Final comment on this: Let's say Verlander becomes so rotten he gets hammered almost every start the rest of his contract. Do they make him a long reliever at 28 mill a year? It's all Monopoly money in sports, but unfortunately the money the customer spends is not Monopoly money. Gimme a 10 dollar beer please and an 8 dollar hot dog, I'm hungry.

See Barry Zito, Mark Hampton or Darren Dreifort.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)

*looks at last two years of Buehrle's deal*

It worked out, but was a risk.

Sox will face this with Sale eventually