2015 AL Central Thread

flavum

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twins, first comeback all season when trailing after 7 innings....were 0-24.

Cardinals, first loss all season when leading after 7...were either 31-0 or 34-0, need to look it up again to make sure I heard correctly.

Kennys Vargas, walk off homer in the 9th with 2 outs, tied up by a Joe Mauer oppo field shot to LF off Siegrist in the bottom of the 8th.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Since June 8- Royals getting separation

KC 8-3

Det 4-6

Cle 4-7

Sox 4-8

Min 4-8

And that's with Duffy and Ventura both out now, and Verlander back for two starts. Carrasco is back for the Indians.

Of course, KC sweeping Minnie helped a lot...total momentum shift. And Buxton is just 2/22.

Here come the White Sox to town. Just what the doctor ordered for Minnesota. Just like the last time. Minnie was nothing and beat Chicago 4 straight in Minnie then 2 of 3 at the Cell and took off from there.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Well he was injured. But he never had killer numbers past A ball. That said, I'd sure like to see some of our prospects match his .840 OPS in AA, but that's still not elite.

He's also, for example, 2 years younger than Bryant. For reference, if he was a white sox player, I'd be pissed about them calling him up so early like this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
He's also, for example, 2 years younger than Bryant. For reference, if he was a white sox player, I'd be pissed about them calling him up so early like this.

I agree - why are they calling him up now with only 1/2 a season in AA ball that was good, not great?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
I agree - why are they calling him up now with only 1/2 a season in AA ball that was good, not great?

Because they're actually in a pennant race, unexpectedly to boot, so he can actually help the team right now. I kinda get that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
Because they're actually in a pennant race, unexpectedly to boot, so he can actually help the team right now. I kinda get that.

So it's wrong to be aggressive promoting players unless you are going to promote them into the pressures of a pennant race?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
So it's wrong to be aggressive promoting players unless you are going to promote them into the pressures of a pennant race?

It's certainly a gamble. Player comes up before they're ready, struggles a little bit, develops a bad habit to compensate, and the end result is that you could hurt the player's long term production. However, Minnesota's CF has been really bad this year, they've gotten a .573 OPS out of their center field slot this year, so if all Buxton can come up and do is put up a .675 OPS he'd still improve their lineup. It is a gamble, but it is a gamble that does have a solid potential reward.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)

For a similar comparison...typically I would not think it was advisable to jump a pitcher from 201 innings during a year up to 270 and that doing so was genuinely a risk to that pitcher's health. However, given the choice between letting Bumgarner destroy everyone he faced last postseason and shutting him down, letting him continue to pitch was a worth-while gamble. I would make a similar gamble with Chris Sale if I were the manager of the team he signs with when he leaves Chicago as a free agent.

Leaving it pretty much a two team for one wild card spot...just don't see any way the Tigers and Twins BOTH make the playoffs.

You've got four pretty "even" teams in the AL East, then the Astros and Angels in the West (don't think Texas had the pitching to hang in there).

If Toronto could add more pitching, or the Astros/Angels could make a big move, they'd be prohibitive favorites (of course, that didn't work out so well in the end for the A's, did it?)

Would be ironic if the A's send Zobrist back to the Rays...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
Carlos Carrasco perfect through 6. 10 K's.

Through 7 now.

After Kluber, Bauer and Salazar, you could argue he's their 4th starter.

(Of course, you could argue the same if Quintana/Samardzija/Rodon threw a no-hitter).

Edited by caulfield12