2015 AL Central Thread

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
You are not going to believe this but look it up. The White Sox, the team you said had aboit a 1 in 300 chance of making the playoffs with 159 left on the schedule,, as bad as they have played, have exactly the same record through 11 games as your beloved Royals in 2014.

And that statistic about starting the season off 0-4 is relevant exactly how to the 2015 White Sox at 4-7 with two teams at 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 games ahead of them??? What was Detroit's record last year after 12 games? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anywhere close to 10-2.

What's the point?

That they will still make the playoffs at 15-30 like the Houston Astros did in 2005?

I'll make you a bet.

The White Sox will not make the playoffs this season with Robin Ventura as the manager. If you they do, I will never post at SoxTalk again. If you lose (again), you can never mention Don Cooper's name while he's still employed as pitching coach for this organization. Deal?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
And that statistic about starting the season off 0-4 is relevant exactly how to the 2015 White Sox at 4-7 with two teams at 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 games ahead of them??? What was Detroit's record last year after 12 games? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anywhere close to 10-2.

What's the point?

That they will still make the playoffs at 15-30 like the Houston Astros did in 2005?

I'll make you a bet.

The White Sox will not make the playoffs this season with Robin Ventura as the manager. If you they do, I will never post at SoxTalk again. If you lose (again), you can never mention Don Cooper's name while he's still employed as pitching coach for this organization. Deal?

They White Sox have made they playoffs 7 or 8 times iin 100 years. It would be silly of me to take that bet. But here is a bet. You started a thread which stated the White Sox had a 2.54 % chance to make the playoffs. That is a little more than 39:1. I will give you a deal and bet you $100 and all you have to give me is 20:1 Take that one,.

Speaking of Cooper, how do you explain his zero trips to the mound today?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
They White Sox have made they playoffs 7 or 8 times iin 100 years. It would be silly of me to take that bet. But here is a bet. You started a thread which stated the White Sox had a 2.54 % chance to make the playoffs. That is a little more than 39:1. I will give you a deal and bet you $100 and all you have to give me is 20:1 Take that one,.

Speaking of Cooper, how do you explain his zero trips to the mound today?

What's he going to do, give an intestinal fortitude and cojones transplant on the mound?

Quintana was fearless the first half of 2012...somehow the White Sox blowing all of his leads and/or Tyler Flowers' pitch calling has caused him to become more tentative.

Or he's injured/dead arm and not at 100%.

If the White Sox have only made the playoffs 7 or 8 times in a century, why would you bring that up? You're making the comparison with last year's Royals' team and arguing KC was 4-7 last year at this same time, so why shouldn't the White Sox (with an even bigger payroll and more resources) make the playoffs in 2015, according to your logic?

Lawrie was still furious after the A’s 4-2 loss, saying, “You don’t throw behind someone and then walk away, when you throw 100 mph, and say, 'The next time I face you, I’m gonna hit you in the head.’ That’s s—.” Asked if he believes Herrera should be punished for his actions, Lawrie said, “That’s some bull—, and he needs to pay for that. That ain’t OK. This is a game. This isn’t going up there and trying to hurt people. This guy doesn’t throw 85 mph. He throws 100.”

Herrera told reporters that the ball slipped in his hand because of the rain that had started that inning and his gesture to his head was to say, “Think about it.”

But, wait, there’s more: In the first inning, A’s starter Scott Kazmir hit Royals outfielder Lorenzo Cain with a sinker on the foot. “It wasn’t intentional,” said Kazmir, who was not ejected. “I think anyone who has a feel for the game, they would know that it’s not intentional. I don’t think anyone tries to throw at someone’s toe or whatever. I tried to throw a fastball in, tried to throw it hard and get a little more on it because he’s quick inside, and I just pulled it. That’s all it was.”

“Certainly it doesn't look great the way things are going, but it was just a fastball down and in and he pulled it a little bit,” A’s manager Bob Melvin said.

www.sfgate.com/sports

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...le19011936.html

Billy Butler baffled by what went down this weekend...(just wait until the return trip to Oaktown in June)

So when Lorenzo Cain was hit by a pitch for the third time this season during the first inning against Oakland on Sunday at Kauffman Stadium, it didn’t merely mark the 14th time a Royals player had been plunked this season. It marked enough is enough. It was the breaking point on extending benefit of the doubt for all the stray pitches and turning the other cheek and turning the page.

Yet the truth is, whether he hit Cain on purpose or not, unwittingly or not, this can of worms was pried open by Kazmir. He denied doing it on purpose, saying that anyone with a feel for the game would know you don’t throw intentionally at someone’s feet. And Cain said Kazmir asked him whether he was OK. Still, it’s hard not to note that 73 of Kazmir’s 103 pitches were strikes and that he didn’t issue a base on balls until the eighth inning. Mostly, though, this was mostly about critical mass on the other end and responding with a dramatic rally.At some point, no deniability is all that plausible.

“I’m tired of seeing my brothers with bruises,” Duffy said, later adding, “I’m not saying that’s not part of the game, but when you take as many in the ribs or the leg as we have, it raises eyebrows.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...le14519633.html

Story of former Sox minor leaguer Paulo Orlando and how he finally made it to the majors...

At one of these tournaments, he met a coach from Cuba who also was working as a White Sox scout. In 2005, he signed with Chicago, but still had designs on competing in track and field at the 2007 Pan American Games, which were going to be held in Rio de Janeiro....

Once with the White Sox, Orlando played briefly in the Dominican Republic, and it was an eye-opener. “At that time, I played every day and they really taught me how to play baseball,” Orlando said. “Running, how to catch a flyball and where to throw the ball.”

After 2 1/2 seasons in the White Sox minor-league system, Orlando was traded in 2008 to the Royals.Orlando’s ability as soccer player and a sprinter appealed to his new employer. “You look at the way our team is built and our ballpark and our emphasis on being able to cover the outfield, he fits that mold,” said assistant general manager J.J. Picollo. “He fits our prototype. He’s a very good outfielder. He can play center field, he’s got some power. He’s getting better every year.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...l#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 05:34 AM)
Glad to see people are finally realizing how unlikable the Royals are. When fan boy Jeff Passan calls them out, you know it's getting bad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--s...-033932160.html

Except you don't win any type of title for being "America's Team" these days. And their fans love it...so, whatever works. In some ways, they need that tension and "backyard" brawl atmosphere to dial it up another notch and hit that top gear.

Remember how we always hated the Twins for so many years, guys like Hunter and AJ and Mientkiewicz? Corey Koskie? Morneau? Mauer? Nathan? Not so very different, those guys also played with an attitude and cockiness, led by Hawk's all-time favorite, Brad Radke.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 06:24 PM)
No, I love teams that play baseball the right way, with energy/excitement and enthusiasm...imposing their will with speed, solid fundamentals and great defense.

Energy/excitement is not necessarily "the right way." That is your preference. The second part is true.

The other problem that makes the Royals garbage is that they throw at the head of the hitters. I have no problem in hitting a batter if you think it's necessary. However you do it from the waist down not at the head.

Mike Moustakas is raking against everyone right now, righties and lefties...if he's anything like he was once hyped to be (see 2014 playoffs, along with Hosmer), that team just became even more dangerous.

This time, all they had to do was get a single, insert Dyson as a pinch runner and let him and Orlando start the track meet around the bases....almost nothing the opponents can do to stop them.

Mike Moustakas is raking against everyone right now, righties and lefties...if he's anything like he was once hyped to be (see 2014 playoffs, along with Hosmer), that team just became even more dangerous.

This time, all they had to do was get a single, insert Dyson as a pinch runner and let him and Orlando start the track meet around the bases....almost nothing the opponents can do to stop them.

Herrera out? Simple, go to Frasor, Chris Young and Wade Davis to close it out.

Can't wait for them to get back Hochevar and Medlen...yikes. Of course, it IS the Twins. Let's see if they can do the same against the Tigers in DET.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)

Herrera out? Simple, go to Frasor, Chris Young and Wade Davis to close it out.

Can't wait for them to get back Hochevar and Medlen...yikes. Of course, it IS the Twins. Let's see if they can do the same against the Tigers in DET.

Thanks Kap. Isn't there a Royals based site you could get all giddy with other Royals fans?

Edited by Dick Allen