Sox sign Dayan Viciedo, 1 year $4.4mil

justBLAZE

#‎WhiteSox‬ and Dayan Viciedo have agreed to terms on a one-year, $4.4-million contract, avoiding arbitration.

The White Sox have five remaining artibration eligible players: catcher Tyler Flowers and right-handed pitchers Javy Guerra, Nate Jones, Hector Noesi and Jeff Samardzija

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
I thought this was done a long time ago.

They tendered him a contract at the non-tender deadline. We were aware of approximately how much he would cost, but didn't have exact figures. With the arbitration deadline approaching, they would have had to sign him to a contract or have the arbiter decide his salary, and that's always very messy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
They tendered him a contract at the non-tender deadline. We were aware of approximately how much he would cost, but didn't have exact figures. With the arbitration deadline approaching, they would have had to sign him to a contract or have the arbiter decide his salary, and that's always very messy.

For the small amounts of difference that we'd be talking about, just throw the player the extra thousands and walk away with the good will. The White Sox are masters at it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 10:41 PM)
For the small amounts of difference that we'd be talking about, just throw the player the extra thousands and walk away with the good will. The White Sox are masters at it.

but DV agent is the kind of person who gives a rats arse for good will.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
The question I have is...is this contract guaranteed? It's been suggested that arbitration settlements are not guaranteed for anything more than $750k at the end of spring training but this is not an arbitration settlement, its' a contract.

i am with you, i think it is guarantee.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
The question I have is...is this contract guaranteed? It's been suggested that arbitration settlements are not guaranteed for anything more than $750k at the end of spring training but this is not an arbitration settlement, its' a contract.

Binding arbitration.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
I did not know Shark was abr eliegible -- thought he had a contract. Oh, well.

Also likely means the Sox have at last thrown extension offers at Shark's camp.

As for Tank, meh, in my mind he has space on this team as a DH against LHP. LaRoche has proven he shouldn't be out there. Honestly, Tank is going to be needed in LF or RF before too long. He is a much better insurance policy than most teams have. Most likely he will suck, but there is upside there and for $4.4M in today's game, I like the idea.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
What's the Sox payroll at now that Viciedo's 4.4 million is set now?

From baseball-reference.com, the Sox obligations are:

$95.5 Million for players under contract (Jose Abreu, John Danks, David Robertson, Melky Cabrera, Alexei Ramirez, Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, Adam LaRoche, Zach Duke, Dayan Viciedo, Emilio Bonifacio, Felipe Paulino, and Jeff Keppinger)

$15.4 Million estimated for 5 arbitration cases (Jeff Samardzija, Tyler Flowers, Hector Noesi, Nate Jones, and Javy Guerra)

$6 Million estimated for players to fill out the 25-man roster

About $117 Million total for the whole roster.

From baseball-reference.com, the Sox obligations are:

$95.5 Million for players under contract (Jose Abreu, John Danks, David Robertson, Melky Cabrera, Alexei Ramirez, Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, Adam LaRoche, Zach Duke, Dayan Viciedo, Emilio Bonifacio, Felipe Paulino, and Jeff Keppinger)

$15.4 Million estimated for 5 arbitration cases (Jeff Samardzija, Tyler Flowers, Hector Noesi, Nate Jones, and Javy Guerra)

$6 Million estimated for players to fill out the 25-man roster

About $117 Million total for the whole roster.

That's close to what I have:

$89.55M for 11 roster players under contract for 2015

$15.4M for 5 roster players who are arbitration eligible for 2015

$4.95M for 9 roster players who are pre-arbitration for 2015

$5.5M for 2 non-roster players who are owed money on contracts in 2015

Adds up to $115.4M

Is it just me or does 4.4M sound astronomical for what Viciedo will give you, which is a few HR's, a lot of K's, a low average and a low OBP?

Edit: Oh, and I forgot bad fielding.

I'd have preferred if they just let that black hole in our lineup go.

Edited by Y2HH

Is it just me or does 4.4M sound astronomical for what Viciedo will give you, which is a few HR's, a lot of K's, a low average and a low OBP?

Would have been my preference as well. Not sure why he's still around.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)

It would have, but then again, $4 million seems to be the cost of a back up utility guy around baseball now, so yeah.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)

Not astronomical, but it's probably more than his value. Delmon Young is a very comparable player overall and he had to settle for a 1 year, $3 million deal.

Really though, teams are paying $6-7 million in the free agent market for 1 WAR players. If some team out there believes he can improve defensively to the point where he's not a total liability and they feel they can get him to hit .250 or .260, he'd be worth it. At this point, those both seem like long shots.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Not astronomical, but it's probably more than his value. Delmon Young is a very comparable player overall and he had to settle for a 1 year, $3 million deal.

Really though, teams are paying $6-7 million in the free agent market for 1 WAR players. If some team out there believes he can improve defensively to the point where he's not a total liability and they feel they can get him to hit .250 or .260, he'd be worth it. At this point, those both seem like long shots.

I know you acknowledged the longshotitude, but I don't see why any team would believe that.