If you could acquire one last player to complete the offseason...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
Again, the price for Stras starts and ends with Rodon. Maybe we could put together the best package for Zimmerman centered around Anderson but I'm not sure.

here is a question, no offense for using your post.

at what price of getting another world series ring is worth.

1 player >>> Rodon, Anderson????

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
I am shocked at the people throwing out names like Strasburg/Zimmerann/Scherzer/Shields like they are a real possibility.

If things go perfect, Sale, Samardzija, Quintana and Danks make 33/32 starts each. Then Noesi, Johnson, Rodon, Brad Penny and Chris Beck will team up to make the last 32 starts + any missed starts due to injury in the 1-4 in the rotation. So sure, signing a guy with MLB experience as a SP who could help this team could/should happen, but these marquee/expensive names do not make sense at this juncture.

with all due respect but Penny????

does anyone think he still has this stuff??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
here is a question, no offense for using your post.

at what price of getting another world series ring is worth.

1 player >>> Rodon, Anderson????

If you could guarantee me a ring I'd trade Rodon for one. But you can't do that. Adding Stras to this rotation makes them the clear favorites for the AL Central, but even then there's still 3 series to win and the best team often does not win a given series. The greatest rotation in the world doesn't guarantee you move forward. The Giants moved forward last year with Hudson and Peavy as 2 of their top starters. Clearly Quintana and Sale/Stras would be a lot better than them, but that's no guarantee that you're going to win those 2 games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
If you could guarantee me a ring I'd trade Rodon for one. But you can't do that. Adding Stras to this rotation makes them the clear favorites for the AL Central, but even then there's still 3 series to win and the best team often does not win a given series. The greatest rotation in the world doesn't guarantee you move forward. The Giants moved forward last year with Hudson and Peavy as 2 of their top starters. Clearly Quintana and Sale/Stras would be a lot better than them, but that's no guarantee that you're going to win those 2 games.

Ding ding ding.

We've got no guarantee that adding Stras would win us a WS.

But I'd trade everything outside of Rodon.

I'm good. Could use another starter and a 4th OF, but pitching help could easily come from the minors. And I'm willing to give Vic his one last stand. It will be nice to have someone with some power off the bench, as inconsistent as he may be.

The Sox kept several of these unproven inconsistent relievers with great stuff on the 40. If a few of those guys prove out, we could actually have some trade chits among them or the incumbents.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)

nothing in life is a guarantee, all is a gamble. the point is to try as hard to fix the odds in

your favor. Wash for now, will not be in the mood to trade Stras or Zimm. but maybe

Fister. the majors teams who are in the mood to push it for this title run are maneuvering

themselves to make that push. by getting the necessary pieces now.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
nothing in life is a guarantee, all is a gamble. the point is to try as hard to fix the odds in

your favor. Wash for now, will not be in the mood to trade Stras or Zimm. but maybe

Fister. the majors teams who are in the mood to push it for this title run are maneuvering

themselves to make that push. by getting the necessary pieces now.

is Arod available. i thought he was still signed by the yanks. anyway what is his

salary???/

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
is Arod available. i thought he was still signed by the yanks. anyway what is his

salary???/

2015: $22 million

2016: $21 million

2017: $21 million

Plus large money bonuses for reaching HR milestones between 660 and 763 (up to $9 million per year).

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Arod wants a job, the Sox are weak at 3B, and Kenny always gets his man. Just sayin' . . .

He also 39 years old, hasn't played in a live MLB game in more than a year, and is owed $61 million over the next 3 years. He also has 10/5 rights which he could very well exercise. Beyond that, the Sox are not that desperate at 3B with a platoon of Bonifacio and Gillaspie.

Also, Rick Hahn is the general manager. Williams is far, far less involved in that and he'd even pass on Alex Rodriguez at this point.

QUOTE (Whitey @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
A realistic option would be Brandon Beachy. For $4-5 mil, it would guarantee that the 4-5 spots in the rotation are solid.

that will be a nice option. i would like to suggest a 2 yr contract and in that way,

he still can command another contract thru free agency rt.

first get rid of DV and his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
2015: $22 million

2016: $21 million

2017: $21 million

Plus large money bonuses for reaching HR milestones between 660 and 763 (up to $9 million per year).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
He also 39 years old, hasn't played in a live MLB game in more than a year, and is owed $61 million over the next 3 years. He also has 10/5 rights which he could very well exercise. Beyond that, the Sox are not that desperate at 3B with a platoon of Bonifacio and Gillaspie.

Also, Rick Hahn is the general manager. Williams is far, far less involved in that and he'd even pass on Alex Rodriguez at this point.

Realistically you have to imagine the Yankees will pretty much pay his contract if another team will take on that headache. Reality is that no one is going to do that.

Just because it's something to talk about, Jeff Sullivan, in connecting dots, thinks the White Sox would be a good landing spot for James Shields.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/finding-a-p...-james-shields/

The White Sox have little rotation depth at all, and bringing in Shields would allow them to have a downright terrifying front four. The move might also boost them into favorite position in the AL Central. That’s the argument for. The argument against: Rick Hahn’s already had an incredibly busy offseason, and the team might be just about out of wiggle room. The payroll projects to be much higher than it was last year. The White Sox, perhaps, are a dark horse.

This is not saying that the White Sox are interested or they've reached out or anything, it's merely speculation saying he'd fit in well in the rotation. He's not wrong, but I don't see this as something they'd do.

I do see them exploring perhaps the trade market or a reclamation project or a stopgap of some type still.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
Just because it's something to talk about, Jeff Sullivan, in connecting dots, thinks the White Sox would be a good landing spot for James Shields.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/finding-a-p...-james-shields/

This is not saying that the White Sox are interested or they've reached out or anything, it's merely speculation saying he'd fit in well in the rotation. He's not wrong, but I don't see this as something they'd do.

I do see them exploring perhaps the trade market or a reclamation project or a stopgap of some type still.

Szymborski agrees: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ested-teams-mlb

Chicago White Sox

There appears to be a distinct AL Central bias in including the White Sox here, but they'd be another interesting destination for Shields. The team has upgraded its roster significantly this winter, with the Jeff Samardzija trade and the David Robertson signing most prominent. There aren't any obvious players out there to improve on some of the weak spots in their lineup, leaving the bottom of the rotation as the most practical hole to improve. ZiPS projects both John Danks and Hector Noesi to have ERAs on the wrong side of 5; both are below replacement level. Meanwhile, Shields would be projected to have a 3.99 ERA and 3.2 WAR even while playing half his games at The Cell.

In a very close division, picking up three wins is a large upgrade. Committing to win now and stopping short is like deciding you don't really feel like skydiving after you've already jumped from the plane.

Win differential: The White Sox clock in at about the .500 mark by ZiPS. That's a team that can make the playoffs if a lot of things go right and a few (or more) players exceed their projections, but that still makes them a second- or third-tier wild-card contender if not. Given that ZiPS does have Danks and Noesi below replacement level, as noted above, Shields would add four wins to the White Sox's total, making them a more serious threat in the division. It also makes them less likely to rush top prospect Carlos Rodon to the majors, which is a good thing.

Edited by Eminor3rd