If you could acquire one last player to complete the offseason...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
I would love if the Sox got K-Rod. 7th-8th-9th inning of Duke, K-Rod, and Robertson would be lethal. That moves Jennings , Putnam, and Petricka into lesser roles.

I want Brandon Beachy.

Beachy + Coop = :wub:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 3m3 minutes ago

Williams said there was one more move "that really would have been nice" that didn't materialize. Any guesses?

If hes just saying it today, then I'm going Shields. Sox are never rumored to be in on anyone until a deal is close and the Padres, Cubs, and another unknown team or two were in the mix.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
If hes just saying it today, then I'm going Shields. Sox are never rumored to be in on anyone until a deal is close and the Padres, Cubs, and another unknown team or two were in the mix.

I don't think Shields fit their MO this offseason. They were looking for moves that didn't cripple them in the long term, and given that Shields still got $19 mill a year, he's older, and his signing would have prevented several other possible moves (nevermind getting burnt as badly as they did on Danks), I think it was more geared toward a younger player. Right or wrong, I think they have enough confidence in Danks/Noesi/Rodon/Beck/Johnson/Penny to cover the 4 & 5 spots in the rotation.

The Sox have a few different areas of weakness right now, but the 3 biggest are probably 3B, 2B, and C. They may have checked on Headley, but that sort of falls in line with the Shields dilemma - older player needing a sizable multi-year deal. It could have been Sandoval too, but I think that was more due diligence on their end. There could be 2B they looked into as well, but I think they want to see what they have in Sanchez and Johnson. That leaves catcher, and with the number of catchers they've brought in or had in house that are OK and really nothing more - Flowers, Brantly, Kottaras, Soto, Nieto, Smith - that, to me, seems like the most likely target. If it was Castro, I'm guessing they thought they may be able to buy low and when the Astros asked for Danish or Montas, the Sox backed away.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
I don't think Shields fit their MO this offseason. They were looking for moves that didn't cripple them in the long term, and given that Shields still got $19 mill a year, he's older, and his signing would have prevented several other possible moves (nevermind getting burnt as badly as they did on Danks), I think it was more geared toward a younger player. Right or wrong, I think they have enough confidence in Danks/Noesi/Rodon/Beck/Johnson/Penny to cover the 4 & 5 spots in the rotation.

The Sox have a few different areas of weakness right now, but the 3 biggest are probably 3B, 2B, and C. They may have checked on Headley, but that sort of falls in line with the Shields dilemma - older player needing a sizable multi-year deal. It could have been Sandoval too, but I think that was more due diligence on their end. There could be 2B they looked into as well, but I think they want to see what they have in Sanchez and Johnson. That leaves catcher, and with the number of catchers they've brought in or had in house that are OK and really nothing more - Flowers, Brantly, Kottaras, Soto, Nieto, Smith - that, to me, seems like the most likely target. If it was Castro, I'm guessing they thought they may be able to buy low and when the Astros asked for Danish or Montas, the Sox backed away.

I'm not saying they offered him a deal that would cripple them. Maybe they offered like 3/45 with the hope of drawing him in with current roster anf him as a number 4 giving them 4 strong with possibly Rodon too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)

I tend to agree with you. It might of been Sandoval or another 3rd baseman but I think it was a catcher with Castro the most likely. Of course it might also of been an outfielder who was traded elsewhere and then we picked up Melky afterwords. It would be interesting to know for sure what could of been.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
I tend to agree with you. It might of been Sandoval or another 3rd baseman but I think it was a catcher with Castro the most likely. Of course it might also of been an outfielder who was traded elsewhere and then we picked up Melky afterwords. It would be interesting to know for sure what could of been.

Castro and Grandal are the obvious guesses, but I think it was an OF. Jay Bruce or Justin Upton are my guesses.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4h4 hours ago

White Sox will have 64 players in big league camp at outset

65 if you include Cole Hamels.

They won't have to trade anyone for him. That's the best part.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jan 19, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
Does anyone else think Doug Fister is now a possibility for the Sox since Scherzer went to Washington?

Id love to get rid of flowers.

But in all honesty I dont see another big move to be made.

If we could though make a move in a fantasy world it would be for a 3BMN named longoria.

On a side note id like to see reed johnson as 4th outfielder.

QUOTE (dewssox79 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
Id love to get rid of flowers.

But in all honesty I dont see another big move to be made.

If we could though make a move in a fantasy world it would be for a 3BMN named longoria.

On a side note id like to see reed johnson as 4th outfielder.

ever since the offseason started, i always thought chi-wash will be a great trade partners. wash has a lot of contracts expiring next yr, they are not going to sign all their own fa's, they might look at trading some for prospects. ref prospects, as long as it is a smart trade done by Hahn.

just my opinion.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
ever since the offseason started, i always thought chi-wash will be a great trade partners. wash has a lot of contracts expiring next yr, they are not going to sign all their own fa's, they might look at trading some for prospects. ref prospects, as long as it is a smart trade done by Hahn.

just my opinion.

Well I have always wanted SP Roark. Just so happens he maybe going to the pen. Such a waste of talent going to the pen.

QUOTE (dewssox79 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Well I have always wanted SP Roark. Just so happens he maybe going to the pen. Such a waste of talent going to the pen.

I'd roll with what we got. If we could replace Robin that would be my only remaining move to take our chances in 2015

ok, i am going to attempt my rendition of a town crier at the podium, and voice my wish, my statement of what needs to be done.

i would like either pitchers from Wash, Zimmerman or Fitscher. those were my org wish from the beginning of the offseason. the sox needs another proven sp in the #1-2 range.