If you could acquire one last player to complete the offseason...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 06:49 PM)
Here's' the website:

Statcorner.com

Tyler Flowers is 24th from rock bottom, or 90th from the top depending on how you look at it.

I am fairly sure I remember this discussion from before, and there was a pretty big discrepancy between two different sites on how they viewed TFlows pitch framing.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
Jaso is not catching anymore because of his concussions. I think we need another RH handed who could play 2B, 3B or a great defensive outfielder.

In addition to Bonafacio, I thought Denorfia would have been perfect to round out the bench. Now my target would be Danny Valencia. I am worried the Sox are happy with internal options like Saladino and they think Valencia is not necessary when Davidson could put it together after Gillaspie proves to be unsatisfactory.

Valencia would be a nice platoon mate for Gillaspie if the Sox get rid of Viciedo. But the 2 of them are too non-versatile to make up half the bench. I continue to assume Bonifacio is Gillaspie's platoon mate as of now.

If they are keeping Viciedo, I would say please get an excellent outfield defender who hits left-handed. Someone like Danks. If there's one out there available who can hit better than Jordan, great. But who is that? Any mentions of Aoki or Rasmus would be silly. Those guys will get starting jobs

The only move I'd want that would add to payroll at all is a multiyear extension for Eaton. He does what he does and he does it very well, buy out his arb years and a couple years of FA.

The other move I'd like, which wouldn't add much payroll at all, is a Dayan Viciedo + <8-15 ranked prospect> for Jackie Bradley Jr. A bench of:

C- Kotteras/Brantly/Nieto/whatever

INF- Tyler Saladino

UTIL- Emilio Bonifacio

4OF- Jackie Bradley Jr

Really seems perfect to me, but with RH Dayan Viciedo soaking up a spot on the bench it keeps Saladino from the big league club (you need 1 LH bat off the bench that isn't a C). The options for defensive substitutions and pinch running with that bench are almost bottomless. Keep in mind that LaRoche will be on the bench any time we face a lefty, so that gives a lot more power to the bench than meets the eye.

My dream pick would be Lucroy, but in reality I think we need a good defensive right handed outfielder who can play all 3 outfield spots. Eaton gets hurt a lot, Avi? well who knows yet and Cabrera doesn't seem to finish the season very often lately. He could also DH an pinch hit often enough. We also need another starting pitcher but I see no FA's I'd want, so a trade??? I'm not seeing much but dreams an wishes out there, I'm ready to play ball. Lets see what we got an maybe make some mid season trades.

Tyler Flowers was tied for #12 in MLB in WAR by catcher last season (2.3)

RK PLAYER TEAM AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS WAR

1 Jonathan Lucroy MIL 585 73 176 53 2 13 69 4 4 66 71 .301 .373 .465 .837 6.7

2 Russell Martin PIT 379 45 110 20 0 11 67 4 4 59 78 .290 .402 .430 .832 5.5

3 Buster Posey SF 547 72 170 28 2 22 89 0 1 47 69 .311 .364 .490 .854 5.2

4 Devin Mesoraco CIN 384 54 105 25 0 25 80 1 3 41 103 .273 .359 .534 .893 4.8

5 Yan Gomes CLE 485 61 135 25 3 21 74 0 0 24 120 .278 .313 .472 .785 4.4

6 Salvador Perez KC 578 57 150 28 2 17 70 1 0 22 85 .260 .289 .403 .692 3.4

7 Carlos Ruiz PHI 381 43 96 25 1 6 31 4 2 46 60 .252 .347 .370 .717 3.2

8 Rene Rivera SD 294 27 74 18 1 11 44 0 0 27 76 .252 .319 .432 .751 3.1

9 Derek Norris OAK 385 46 104 19 1 10 55 2 2 54 86 .270 .361 .403 .763 3.0

10 Yadier Molina STL 404 40 114 21 0 7 38 1 1 28 55 .282 .333 .386 .719 2.4

11 Robinson Chirinos TEX 306 36 73 15 0 13 40 0 1 17 71 .239 .290 .415 .705 2.4

12 Dioner Navarro TOR 481 40 132 22 0 12 69 3 0 32 76 .274 .317 .395 .712 2.3

13 Tyler Flowers CHW 407 42 98 16 1 15 50 0 1 25 159 .241 .297 .396 .693 2.3

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
Tyler Flowers was tied for #12 in MLB in WAR by catcher last season (2.3)

Right, so he was middle of the pack with a .355 BABIP and a 21.1% HR/FB rate.

Also, he's #20 of 30 by fWAR at 1.8

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
The only move I'd want that would add to payroll at all is a multiyear extension for Eaton. He does what he does and he does it very well, buy out his arb years and a couple years of FA.

The other move I'd like, which wouldn't add much payroll at all, is a Dayan Viciedo + for Jackie Bradley Jr. A bench of:

INF- Tyler Saladino

UTIL- Emilio Bonifacio

4OF- Jackie Bradley Jr

Really seems perfect to me, but with RH Dayan Viciedo soaking up a spot on the bench it keeps Saladino from the big league club (you need 1 LH bat off the bench that isn't a C). The options for defensive substitutions and pinch running with that bench are almost bottomless. Keep in mind that LaRoche will be on the bench any time we face a lefty, so that gives a lot more power to the bench than meets the eye.

I think an Eaton extension would be premature. We still have him for four more years regardless; let him prove his skills - and more importantly his health - for one more year.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
imho the sox just need 1 last positional player. that will be a sp with

expiring contract.

1. Zimmermann - problem here i can't remember if the sox have a friendly

trade relations with Washington

if not

2. Cueto of Cincy. expiring contract.

i just want insurance for the pitchers going into the playoff in case of injury or

getting tired b/c of the inning pitched.

those 2 can get QO and let them go. no long term commitment unless the sox

will want to sign either Jeff or Zimm or Cueto. who will sign on the dotted line the

fastest.

prospects i will discuss tomorrow.

peace.

This is a total shot in the dark, but do you post on any Iowa Hawkeye message boards? Your posting style totally reminds me of someone else. He ends a lot of his posts with "peace" as well.

QUOTE (shoeless_joe21 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
This is a total shot in the dark, but do you post on any Iowa Hawkeye message boards? Your posting style totally reminds me of someone else. He ends a lot of his posts with "peace" as well.

nah, i am pretty much a chi person...

chi sox

blackhawks

bulls

bears

no freaking northsiders

if chi teams don't make the playoff, my season ends with them.

i learned many yrs ago, my short curt sentence structure, many may take

offense as i was berating or belittling them so i start use peace at the end so

some whose post i was answering may not take wrongly.

it is hopefully an insurance to show i meant no offense. my english is really

bad in writing.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
Any chance Scherzer would take a 1 year deal if it was worth about 25-35% more on a per year basis than what he'd get in a long term deal?

I don't think so. There's too much risk involved in a 1 year deal, $35 million deal from Scherzer's point of view than there is in a 7 years, $175 million deal, which I think he can still get.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)

The other move I'd like, which wouldn't add much payroll at all, is a Dayan Viciedo + for Jackie Bradley Jr. A bench of:

INF- Tyler Saladino

UTIL- Emilio Bonifacio

4OF- Jackie Bradley Jr

Eaton is one young guy I would not want to extend. With the way he plays the game, I could see his body betraying him very quickly.

Probably still pitching will be brought in. Someone had asked dan Hayes on twitter if he thinks sox are done or still going to make more moves. Hayes said probably more bullpen, non roster invites and hopefully viciedo traded. Also scott Merkin has his mail bag up on sox website. Also asked if they were still looking at making moves. scott gave the usually hahn quote that they are always looking ways to make the team better. But said to think pitching. Also said cooper and danks are working on lower arm angle and lower leg kick this offseason.

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/106...e?tcid=tw_share

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

The White Sox have definitely improved the team this off season. But still, the bottom of the rotation with Noesi and Danks scares me to death. I try to point out the positive. I'm not the second coming of Jay "Woman Beater" Mariotti. I don't see the 2015 White Sox making the playoffs unless they acquire another decent starting pitcher. Maybe Noesi and Danks will have a good 2015 season. I hope so but I'm not counting on it.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
The White Sox have definitely improved the team this off season. But still, the bottom of the rotation with Noesi and Danks scares me to death. I try to point out the positive. I'm not the second coming of Jay "Woman Beater" Mariotti. I don't see the 2015 White Sox making the playoffs unless they acquire another decent starting pitcher. Maybe Noesi and Danks will have a good 2015 season. I hope so but I'm not counting on it.

Rodon is going to be a part of this rotation at some point next year. We'll also have two of our top four pitching prospects at AA in Montas & Danish and two wild card prospects at AAA in Beck & Johnson. We'll actually have some interesting options if we need a starter later this year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Rodon is going to be a part of this rotation at some point next year. We'll also have two of our top four pitching prospects at AA in Montas & Danish and two wild card prospects at AAA in Beck & Johnson. We'll actually have some interesting options if we need a starter later this year.

Do you see Montas as a starter long term? I thought I saw somewhere that he projects to be a closer.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
Do you see Montas as a starter long term? I thought I saw somewhere that he projects to be a closer.

It depends on how his changeup develops and if he can maintain the command he displayed last season. Those are both big questions, so it's really impossible for me to guess one way or the other right now. However, the potential to be a top of the rotation starter is legit. I'm hoping they give him the opportunity to start until he proves he can't handle it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 01:37 AM)
I really don't think it'll happen but regardless, they'd be able to fit him. They ran with three first basemen last year. One of Valencia/Gillaspie would make up one quarter of the bench. Then you have a catcher, Bonafacio and one more guy. You have already got every back up filled.

By "the two of them" I was referring to Viciedo and Valencia (not Gillaspie). My point was just for if they keep Viciedo.