American Sniper

Brian

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
my point is snipers are a necessary piece of equipment that is needed in

war. whether most like to think it is cowardly or not, they saves life.

my point is in WW2, a sniper / commando's saved life, in the long run. killing

this mad man who is worst than hilter caused an additional 10,000 people and

a complete town. but it still saved lives.

no matter what anyone say, his kills are certified by the military, so there is

no false numbers there. he saved or helped saved lives.

If you're talking about the same town, it wasn't destroyed by him. It was destroyed in retaliation for his assassination.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
If you're talking about the same town, it wasn't destroyed by him. It was destroyed in retaliation for his assassination.

and if you are soooo determine to prove yourself right, then make

the correction that the 10,000 people were killed in retailation as well.

so give me a freaking break. i think you know what i was saying.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
It's not like the top of the Superdome is some inconspicuous place. Plus there'd be the matter of a few dozen dead bodies shot with high-powered rifles.

Amidst all that chaos though? I dunno, I wasn't there, but I seem to remember pandemonium for a few days there. These guys make a living of being unseen. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)
Amidst all that chaos though? I dunno, I wasn't there, but I seem to remember pandemonium for a few days there. These guys make a living of being unseen. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

i live down here and there were random shooting. but no one knew

what was happening. my friend had the military with him when they

were working on the electric lines.

so anything can be said and how can it be proven???

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
That should give you a sense of where Kyle's head was at in the end.

With the extent of PTSD this guy had, his idea of reality was really f***ed up by the time he died, however many of the things that happened over seas have been collaborated.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)

There were alot of deaths and crimes that went unreported even to this day. It wouldnt surprise me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Then we have a case of the Federal government sending in the US military to kill dozens of US citizens extrajudicially on US soil. I think it's more likely that the man who appeared to be a pathological liar was telling another self-aggrandizing lie than the alternative.

Yeah, I don't doubt it...I was just thinking even if that was true, it doesn't seem like something that would be very easily corroborated in the first place.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
Michael Moore is not someone I'm listening to when the topic of courage/cowardice is being discussed.

What is IB? And I don't think the 9/11 scenes were specifically propaganda (they weren't very long), as much as building a narrative and explaining where he'd be deployed.

Completely agree. And I liked Gran Torino a lot. C'mon, Brian.

Not really. I can hardly grasp what you're saying most of the time with the layout of your posts.

Inglorious Basterds

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)

With the hard-on the media had about the government's response to Katrina, you don't think someone would have written a story about 20-30 bodies found with bullet holes from rifles shot at great distances? I mean that one is totally implausible.

Edit: not to mention you'd have thousands of people in and around the superdome that would be hearing those gunshots, and helicopters circling the city almost nonstop that probably would have seen him.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

In early 2012, I had an unexpected conversation with my friend Chris Kyle (author of American Sniper) about the Katrina debacle. I had heard rumblings about Special Operations (mainly SEALs) snipers being deployed to New Orleans to support the effort to restore order. He confirmed the rumors and shared his own intimate knowledge that close contacts of his, many who were apparently still serving on active duty, took leave to work for the controversial PMC (Private Military Company),Blackwater.

Chris went on to tell me that the bulk of the guys he knew directly had racked up over thirty kills between them near and around the Super Dome.

This came from an article in early 2013. FWIW. Also mentioned the scary concept of "180 grains of due process."

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/did-speci...-after-katrina/

I do believe with all the focus on this movie and momentum building for Bradley Cooper's nomination as Best Actor, that you're going to see a ton of new digging and research on the claims being made in the movie. Of course, those against the glorification of war will try to find examples of racism, of anything he did in his work with veterans that might have provoked his demise, the Katrina accusations, about his drinking problems, etc. If you read up on Tillman, you quickly find out how intelligent and how complicated he was...Kyle is complicated in the sense he seems so simple and straightforward that many are looking to complicate him retroactively.

The part of him facing off with an Olympic Gold Medal-caliber adversary on the Iraqi side, for example. How many times he actually came off the rooftops and joined the grunts on the ground going door to door clearing buildings.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
With the hard-on the media had about the government's response to Katrina, you don't think someone would have written a story about 20-30 bodies found with bullet holes from rifles shot at great distances? I mean that one is totally implausible.

Edit: not to mention you'd have thousands of people in and around the superdome that would be hearing those gunshots, and helicopters circling the city almost nonstop that probably would have seen him.

Perhaps I've been watching too much Madam Secretary and State of Affairs recently ;)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)

But I find the notion that we sent SEALs and/or mercenaries into New Orleans to shoot looters from the rooftops ludicrous. What, exactly, would be the upside? Further, even if we were to believe that the Bush administration was capable of ordering such a thing and that they found willing participants at Blackwater to carry it out, we’d also have to believe that no one who knew about the order—and there would have had to have been dozens, just from a planning and logistical standpoint—objected strongly enough to speak out.

The author's counterargument in the same article.

this is a true story from someone who was not near Katrina the aftermath

and of Rita and after.

the government hired a special security forced to help police the area. they wore

all black and purple uniforms and had a special FRENCH name of their company.

but most were ex-american military, make 15,000 a month. they were shipped in

from Europe. they went where the military couldn't and b/c the government didn't

want to be pegged as sending US military shooting americans.

i know this, b/c i owned a store and i was with the rebuild after Rita the tues after

the storm. i had to deal with these men. great guy but a little crazed.

the curfew was on and they patrolled the harsh areas.

so if i hear of someone here at that time and couldn't name the company, they

are bulls***ting.

it was a crazy time and we had to be armed at all times. many killings of those

burglarizing stores and homes.

the local government was really trying to downplay that. that is the truth.

peace

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)

that is all too true.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
But I find the notion that we sent SEALs and/or mercenaries into New Orleans to shoot looters from the rooftops ludicrous. What, exactly, would be the upside? Further, even if we were to believe that the Bush administration was capable of ordering such a thing and that they found willing participants at Blackwater to carry it out, we’d also have to believe that no one who knew about the order—and there would have had to have been dozens, just from a planning and logistical standpoint—objected strongly enough to speak out.

The author's counterargument in the same article.

that is the freaking name of the comapany i was talking about, but they had in french.

The same people who are freaking out about how this movie 'glorifies violence' or is somehow a recruitment tool for the military sure have no problems liking movies that make the military look bad. It's a damn movie, not a documentary. However I am sure Moore wouldn't know the difference since he wouldn't know a fact if it bit him in his fat ass.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
The same people who are freaking out about how this movie 'glorifies violence' or is somehow a recruitment tool for the military sure have no problems liking movies that make the military look bad.

I think this is silly anyway, but I'm struggling to see what you think is a contradiction here

maybe i am missing the point here. so if i am pls let me know.

this is a movie based on a book. for the most part the actual part of

the numbers kills are accurate. now the rest, ok i see it, but does

it really matter??

i tried to use another example of this and my point and i failed, so let

me try to say this. there is hardly any movie that is based 100% on

truth. there is always going to be some sort of embellishment.

as long as we, as fans of movies knows the difference.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 10:36 PM)
Kyle lied his ass off on the Jesse Ventura story.

oh yeah, that is for sure, i posted the link on the other thread for the movies.

this reminds me of that movie sleepers. at first the movie people said it was a

true story, then contradicted themselves.

either way, i am wondering if the duel with the enemy sniper is true. i been trying

to read up to see if it is or not. i can't find an answer one way or another.