American Sniper

Brian

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
this is a true story from someone who was not near Katrina the aftermath

and of Rita and after.

the government hired a special security forced to help police the area. they wore

all black and purple uniforms and had a special FRENCH name of their company.

but most were ex-american military, make 15,000 a month. they were shipped in

from Europe. they went where the military couldn't and b/c the government didn't

want to be pegged as sending US military shooting americans.

i know this, b/c i owned a store and i was with the rebuild after Rita the tues after

the storm. i had to deal with these men. great guy but a little crazed.

the curfew was on and they patrolled the harsh areas.

so if i hear of someone here at that time and couldn't name the company, they

are bulls***ting.

it was a crazy time and we had to be armed at all times. many killings of those

burglarizing stores and homes.

the local government was really trying to downplay that. that is the truth.

peace

So Blackwater was using a French name for the same corporation? That wouldn't surprise me in the least, public relations.

How do you know they were shipped in from Europe?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stars-voice-su...ftag=YHF4eb9d17

Moore gets ripped to shreds on Twitter.

Is that the same Jane Fonda or Jane Seymour (Bond Girl) married Peter Fonda?

Rob Lowe usually not aligned with the conservative side of the entertainment industry.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/incredible-t...r9UwEYALRuTmYlQ

On the truths and fiction of Kyle's life...as well as some poignant comments from Bradley Cooper at the end about the movie not being a political statement but more about returning from war and dealing with domestic life and family.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)
So Blackwater was using a French name for the same corporation? That wouldn't surprise me in the least, public relations.

Rob Lowe usually not aligned with the conservative side of the entertainment industry.

On the truths and fiction of Kyle's life...as well as some poignant comments from Bradley Cooper at the end about the movie not being a political statement but more about returning from war and dealing with domestic life and family.

i and many here talked to them. i was really surprise with the american merc. they gave me and

my friend alot of info. at that time a friend of mine was and still is a full commander in the navy

and wanted to join.

now when i said i talked to them, i am meaning a hand full and they basically were saying the same

thing. whether they were telling the truth of where they are based i do not know. they said the

other teams are a little more mixed and some other stuff.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
This.

I see that someone vandalized a billboard for the movie with the word "murderer." Our country has some stupid sheeple in it.

Didn't he claim to have killed dozens of looters in New Orleans from the roof of the Superdome? He lost the lawsuit (his estate) that he liable Jesse Ventura in the book and in interviews. He also claimed to have executed two guys who tried to rob him at a gas station in Dallas. Those were his claims. Picking off snipers from the roof of the Superdome? Maybe that could be murder in our society. Killing two guys who may have been robbing him? Maybe.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 06:17 AM)
Didn't he claim to have killed dozens of looters in New Orleans from the roof of the Superdome? He lost the lawsuit (his estate) that he liable Jesse Ventura in the book and in interviews. He also claimed to have executed two guys who tried to rob him at a gas station in Dallas. Those were his claims. Picking off snipers from the roof of the Superdome? Maybe that could be murder in our society. Killing two guys who may have been robbing him? Maybe.

And $1.8 million, supposedly.

No corroboration from anywhere about the supposed gas station incident.

He claimed the local cops received word from Washington that he was "too valuable" to be arrested and that he would receive post cards from cops thanking him for "cleaning up the streets". The dude sounds crazy. How does anyone produce a movie based on a book that is so filled with inaccuracies and libelous material?

I am really starting to dislike our "every Vet is a heroic figure" and can't be criticized culture we currently have.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
He claimed the local cops received word from Washington that he was "too valuable" to be arrested and that he would receive post cards from cops thanking him for "cleaning up the streets". The dude sounds crazy. How does anyone produce a movie based on a book that is so filled with inaccuracies and libelous material?

I am really starting to dislike our "every Vet is a heroic figure" and can't be criticized culture we currently have.

you and caulfield12 do have a point and i will not dispute it. i come from a

family of vets, from my grandfather in WW2 to uncles and immediate family.

there is no denying what he did to serve his county. yeah every once

in a while we will have to put up with self indulgent people like him. but

i will refuse to label all of them b/c if this person.

no matter what, 4 tours and the most kills. save many lives.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 06:51 AM)

I'd love to see how many of those kills were situations similar to the ones portrayed in the movie, "life and death" decisions involving women and children...the split second decision of are they civilian non-combatants or terrorists?

Is all of that information still classified? Certainly it's not in the interest of the government for the public to find out, for example, how many of his kills were shot in the back or not holding weapons, etc. It's hard to imagine he didn't make a few mistakes when the kill record has somewhere between 160 and 270 insurgents listed, depending on the source. The movie makes a dramatic point about potentially shooting an unarmed woman and child (if he was wrong) and intimating he would have been court-martialed.

As far as the all-time record, I think it's hard to compare World War II snipers with Gulf War I and II, or how many kills World War I flying aces had with WW II, for that matter. Context is always important to take into consideration.

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2013/02/0...tation-in-2009/

Here's a story that supposedly confirms the gas station shootings. Not sure how believable the explanation of the cover up is...it doesn't say the two victims were Mexican/Latino, but it intimates he suspected they were going to try to sell the truck across the border. That doesn't sound like a typical gringo move IMO.

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2013/03/2...-of-chris-kyle/

And the counterpoint, why that story, if true....is troubling for so many different reasons.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
I'd love to see how many of those kills were situations similar to the ones portrayed in the movie, "life and death" decisions involving women and children...the split second decision of are they civilian non-combatants or terrorists?

Is all of that information still classified? Certainly it's not in the interest of the government for the public to find out, for example, how many of his kills were shot in the back or not holding weapons, etc. It's hard to imagine he didn't make a few mistakes when the kill record has somewhere between 160 and 270 insurgents listed, depending on the source. The movie makes a dramatic point about potentially shooting an unarmed woman and child (if he was wrong) and intimating he would have been court-martialed.

As far as the all-time record, I think it's hard to compare World War II snipers with Gulf War I and II, or how many kills World War I flying aces had with WW II, for that matter. Context is always important to take into consideration.

Here's a story that supposedly confirms the gas station shootings. Not sure how believable the explanation of the cover up is...it doesn't say the two victims were Mexican/Latino, but it intimates he suspected they were going to try to sell the truck across the border. That doesn't sound like a typical gringo move IMO.

And the counterpoint, why that story, if true....is troubling for so many different reasons.

the bolded.

ahh that is 1 point i was trying to avoid.... but i guess it was too obvious.

there is a huge amount of unanswered question i have some of which you

touch on.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)

I mean, I didnt watch it as some sort of political statement, I saw it as a good movie with a message regarding PTSD, thats kind of the end of it.

Its not nearly close to Band of Brothers as far as giving me hero worship.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 06:51 AM)

Which is exactly my point. I apply it to both good and bad examples. I also do not believe that every Vet should be given a heroes position because others earned it. It works both ways in my mind. It also lessens what the truly "heroic" have done if serving anytime anywhere and doing anything means you are a hero.

Thought the movie was rather great. I blocked out the political stuff as I watched it. Michael Moore obviously hasn't seen it.

I sort of get Rogen's comparison but not to the effect that there should be big outrage over it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
Thought the movie was rather great. I blocked out the political stuff as I watched it. Michael Moore obviously hasn't seen it.

I sort of get Rogen's comparison but not to the effect that there should be big outrage over it.

I get Rogen's comparison as well kind of, I actually thought about it as I was watching it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:00 AM)

What does that matter? And even with the stipulation that a person isn't holding a weapon, if it's a known enemy, it makes no difference if they're armed at the exact moment.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
What does that matter? And even with the stipulation that a person isn't holding a weapon, if it's a known enemy, it makes no difference if they're armed at the exact moment.

at the Battle of the Bulge, WW2. the nazi killed american soldiers that were POW, it

was at Malmédy.

by your statement, it was ok b/c they were known enemies???

pls explain, and if i was wrong, then i am sorry for implying that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)
at the Battle of the Bulge, WW2. the nazi killed american soldiers that were POW, it

was at Malmédy.

by your statement, it was ok b/c they were known enemies???

pls explain, and if i was wrong, then i am sorry for implying that.

POW's are a different story, obviously. I'm talking specifically about a sniper shooting an enemy. A sniper looking through his scope at an enemy combatant who doesn't have a gun in his hand at that very moment can still shoot him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 04:43 AM)
POW's are a different story, obviously. I'm talking specifically about a sniper shooting an enemy. A sniper looking through his scope at an enemy combatant who doesn't have a gun in his hand at that very moment can still shoot him.

ok, i can see that.

but you are still missing an important part of caulfield12 reply. the first sentence of

women and children in the same situation of the movie.

but if you may, let me also play the devils advocate. it is a really screwed up way of thinking

for other people who has little or no value on lives based on religion or perception to use

women and children in the first place.

either way. thanks

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)

I'm wondering how they determine it is a combatant from so far away. We won our independence by using snipers to target British officers, something that was against the usual rules of war. We've rarely been behind the curve in using new tactics and weapons.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
I'm wondering how they determine it is a combatant from so far away. We won our independence by using snipers to target British officers, something that was against the usual rules of war. We've rarely been behind the curve in using new tactics and weapons.

ahh that is sooo true. the british hated us for that, b/c it was against the code of

chivalry of war at that time.