Nationals Trade Prospects? Rent-another-pitcher?

shago

We have a Shark one year rental, so if this is the year to go for it, why not add another one-year guy to complete the rotation? Not free, but wouldn't be too expensive, so let's go all-in, no?

Especially with Mad Max out of the division, we have a real shot at this, let's do it... Doug wants to be back in the AL Central. Lot of competition, but could be the final piece...

What are you willing to give up to acquire Zimmermann, Strasburg, Fister or Tanner Roark?

For the first two names, it's going to require three of our top five prospects.

Besides, Passan wrote a very perceptive article stating that the Nationals (and multi-billionaire Ted Lerner) would be crazy to give up the advantage they have in depth with 6 pitchers and five big-time starting prospects, including what many consider the best in Giolito.

Every baseball season proves you adage you can never have too much pitching.

There are some affordability concerns with the likes of Ian Desmond (his name is mentioned everywhere) and Denard Span, but trading Tyler Clippard helped a bit.

And the Vegas odds of the White Sox being involved in a third Gio Gonzalez trade are slim and none, especially with the plethora of lefties in the current depth chart.

Plus, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Shields signed with the Tigers, which would go a long ways toward convincing David Price to stay put in Detroit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)
I don't know if it's possible for Mike Rizzo to trade with the Sox right now. He and KW still have issues. Hahn may have the title of GM, but KW is still in the mix.

There's the Dunn/EJax non-completed trade situation, then the drafting and protecting of Nieto last year, among other things.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
There's the Dunn/EJax non-completed trade situation, then the drafting and protecting of Nieto last year, among other things.

too bad, they, Wash line up the best with the sox in trades.

well there is still philly, cincy and someone else. i will remember

larer.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
so if this is the year to go for it

This is where you're wrong. It's not about it being THE year to go for it, it's about it being the first of many years to go for it. With the second WC, we're seeing teams strive to be "in contention" frewquently in stead of building a super team for a year or two and having to tear it down later. If we commit too much of the future to 2015, we're going to be right back in a rebuild.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
Not free, but wouldn't be too expensive

I think you're underestimating the cost. The Samardzija trade was a coup, but we don't have another Semien to give up and we shouldn't expect other GMs to value quantity over quality like Beane has done for years. Especially not the Nats, who have no need for modest upgrades at this point since they have possibly the best team on paper already.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:17 AM)
This is where you're wrong. It's not about it being THE year to go for it, it's about it being the first of many years to go for it. With the second WC, we're seeing teams strive to be "in contention" frewquently in stead of building a super team for a year or two and having to tear it down later. If we commit too much of the future to 2015, we're going to be right back in a rebuild.

I think you're underestimating the cost. The Samardzija trade was a coup, but we don't have another Semien to give up and we shouldn't expect other GMs to value quantity over quality like Beane has done for years. Especially not the Nats, who have no need for modest upgrades at this point since they have possibly the best team on paper already.

Plus, they're not going to be satisfied with treading water and trading Ian Desmond only to replace him with Alexei Ramirez.

They're going to want a future superstar in Tim Anderson, there's no way around that. They have so much pitching depth Montas (except as a closer) and Danish wouldn't be interesting to them, so they're definitely asking for Anderson, Hawkins and one more Top 10 piece.

Then we're eventually stuck in the same situation about 10-12 teams are every off-season, paying premium prices for a upper-tier SS who will be a long-term answer.

not sure on the politics of the Sox/Nats relationship...but Fister is the guy i feel would be appropriate for the Sox. We don't need another #2, #3 guy such as Zimmermann for the price that he will command in terms of trades. Fister should be relatively less costly and will fill our need of a backend #4 or 5 guy without breaking the bank. I would perhaps trade a Matt Davidson or other one of our prospects in the 6-10 range. The Nats don't have many needs at the MLB level

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
not sure on the politics of the Sox/Nats relationship...but Fister is the guy i feel would be appropriate for the Sox. We don't need another #2, #3 guy such as Zimmermann for the price that he will command in terms of trades. Fister should be relatively less costly and will fill our need of a backend #4 or 5 guy without breaking the bank. I would perhaps trade a Matt Davidson or other one of our prospects in the 6-10 range. The Nats don't have many needs at the MLB level

I'm sure there's a stat out there that says Fister was/is one of the best 50 starters in the majors over X/Y/Z time period dating back to maybe 2011 or 2012.

They would laugh at such a trade proposal and probably publicize it to the world.

With Anthony Rendon in place for the next decade, why on Earth would they need Matt Davidson?

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)

The Nats would laugh at Matt Davidson being a center piece.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
A friend was arguing that Fister had a 2.4ish ERA last year, which is true, but he had a 3.91 FIP. That's a somewhat alarming difference.

Ok... If davidson is bad so be it. My point is that the price for Fister wont be as high as zimmermann, and may be reasonable with Fisters 1 yr status.

Dont forget Rendon also plays 2nd. If the Nats can find a power bat for third, then they have the ability to upgrade two positions.

FIP favours pitchers who strikeout players. Fister is a pitch to contact groundball pitcher who strikes out little, and IMO will always beat his FIP as long as he has a good defense behind him

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Ok... If davidson is bad so be it. My point is that the price for Fister wont be as high as zimmermann, and may be reasonable with Fisters 1 yr status.

Dont forget Rendon also plays 2nd. If the Nats can find a power bat for third, then they have the ability to upgrade two positions.

FIP favours pitchers who strikeout players. Fister is a pitch to contact groundball pitcher who strikes out little, and IMO will always beat his FIP as long as he has a good defense behind him

But Washington knows that too, and if they are trying to maximize their return, they are going to want to sell the one that will get them the highest return. That's going to be Zimmerman or Strasburg at this point.

FYI, Fister's ERAs were usually much higher than his FIP in Detroit. Last year was the exception.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
But Washington knows that too, and if they are trying to maximize their return, they are going to want to sell the one that will get them the highest return. That's going to be Zimmerman or Strasburg at this point.

FYI, Fister's ERAs were usually much higher than his FIP in Detroit. Last year was the exception.

Re: Fisters ERA

thats because detroits defenses were not good from everything i remember....miggy at 3b? Peralta at SS? not good for a guy like Fister

In Wash, he had LaRoche, Rendon, Desmond backing him....much better than Detroits defenses

I am fine with our current rotation and window of contention. I am sure Hahn is doing is best to keep Shark around with the current core and I expect him to do so. I am not interested in a one year rental which would undoubtedly cost several of our top prospects.

Hello...I've been reading this site for quite awhile, and I finally decided to "dip my toe in the water".

I don't understand the posters' infatuation with prospects...other than Gio Gonzalez, when was the last time, over the last 10 seasons, that the Sox traded away a prospect who amounted to anything?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
That's not how compensation works anymore. The Sox will offer him a one year contract for somewhere around 15-17 mil, depending on what the number is next offseason, and if he rejects and signs somewhere else we get their first round pick if is unprotected.

fair enough (and good to know)...but thats basically what i was getting at. we're going to go after the draft pick, not the extension, IMO.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)

Hello...I've been reading this site for quite awhile, and I finally decided to "dip my toe in the water".

I don't understand the posters' infatuation with prospects...other than Gio Gonzalez, when was the last time, over the last 10 seasons, that the Sox traded away a prospect who amounted to anything?

welcome...

that was all done in the old regime. the team is built thru prospect and young players.

granted it would be nice if the sox developed them but they didn't. other teams did,

either way, someone needed to develop them. now maybe with Hahn and his people,

the sox will see the rewards.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)

You don't happen to be THE Stev-O are you? Anyways welcome to the board!

Admittedly Sox haven't been good at drafting and developing prospects up until a few years ago. However, with a change in drafting philosophy and latin scouting, we have restock our farm and there are definitely a few guys who are posed to have a successful career. If you want cost controlled assets like Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, non-Sox players like Longoria, McCutchen, Goldschmidt, you gotta develop them from within. Otherwise you will end up spending $210 mil on Scherzer or $100 on Pablo Sandoval. Unless you're the Yankees or Dodgers who could just go build a team through free agency, you got to keep a good balance of free agents and home grown talents.

To answer your question, on top of my head Ryan Sweeney, Chris Carter, Chris Young, Clayton Richard, Daniel Hudson, Brandon McCarthy, have had pretty good success in the big leagues so far.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)

the sox needs a sp pitcher which ever one that JR will allow Hahn to get.

JR is not going to allow this.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
That's not how compensation works anymore. The Sox will offer him a one year contract for somewhere around 15-17 mil, depending on what the number is next offseason, and if he rejects and signs somewhere else we get their first round pick if is unprotected.

That's not right -- the signing team does lose a pick, but we don't "get" that pick. Instead, we get a comp round pick, between the first and second rounds.