Sox sign Geo Soto

flavum

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Sox will have 6 catchers in camp to start ST: Flowers, Nieto, Kottaras, Brantly, Soto, Smith. Interesting collection.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
the past couple of seasons, i am surprise the sox didn't use some of the vendors

to see if they couldn't man a position or pitch.

Fun fact: The White Sox have a pitching prospect who actually was a hot dog vendor at Comiskey/The Cell in their youth, and his mother worked in the park for some time as well. His name is Mike Recchia, Crestwood native.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
So the Sox will have 6 catchers in camp to start ST: Flowers, Nieto, Kottaras, Brantly, Soto, Smith. Interesting collection.

Fun fact: The White Sox have a pitching prospect who actually was a hot dog vendor at Comiskey/The Cell in their youth, and his mother worked in the park for some time as well. His name is Mike Recchia, Crestwood native.

that is a fun fact.... i hope he makes it for that reason. thanks.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
There's a chance this is the org's best catcher. Not saying a ton of course. I'm happy we have some depth now.

No way (at least I really hope so). He had a couple good years a long time ago, and hasn't been the same since he quit the juice.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 05:20 PM)
No way (at least I really hope so). He had a couple good years a long time ago, and hasn't been the same since he quit the juice.

Tyler Flowers is a career .218 hitter with about a 35% strikeout rate. There is no catcher head and shoulders better than any other in the Sox system now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
Tyler Flowers is a career .218 hitter with about a 35% strikeout rate. There is no catcher head and shoulders better than any other in the Sox system now.

You might be right, but face it, Flowers today is a much better player than he was in his first couple of years here. I know he had a long stretch last year (a couple of months??) when he just could not hit, and he looked lost at the plate, but not behind it. Then, he came out of it the last two months or so. I can see a slight improvement for him in 2015.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
You might be right, but face it, Flowers today is a much better player than he was in his first couple of years here. I know he had a long stretch last year (a couple of months??) when he just could not hit, and he looked lost at the plate, but not behind it. Then, he came out of it the last two months or so. I can see a slight improvement for him in 2015.

He could. He also could hit .180. He is the starter until someone beats him out, but I don't think it is a lock he is better than Soto in 2015, and obviously Soto isn't all that great.

Steamer projects Flowers at 0.8 WAR. Soto at 1.1.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:46 AM)
He could. He also could hit .180. He is the starter until someone beats him out, but I don't think it is a lock he is better than Soto in 2015, and obviously Soto isn't all that great.

Steamer projects Flowers at 0.8 WAR. Soto at 1.1.

i can deal with 1 or 2 position being weak, hitting wise, if they provide a vital part to that

position. that is defense, esp if flowers provide good defense and calls a good game, then

i can deal with his lack of hitting.

on a side note, wasn't part of his improvement was b/c of he needed glasses or something

like that??

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
Soto was awesome in 2010. Since then, he's hit .223/.299/.394 for a .693 OPS. 38 HR in 1100 PAs

Kottaras since then .216/ .341/.425 .766 OPS. 22 HRs in 500 PAs. Those are pretty much exactly Kottaras' career splits against righties

Last three years, their offensive numbers are remarkably similar. Soto separates himself a little with the peripheral stuff. Have to imagine Flowers has the edge for defense/familiarity with staff.

Geo Soto: .219/.291/.381, 81 wRC+, 8.9 BB%, 24.5 K%

Flow Flow: .222/.281/.381, 82 wRC+, 5.9 BB%, 35.5 K%

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Last three years, their offensive numbers are remarkably similar. Soto separates himself a little with the peripheral stuff. Have to imagine Flowers has the edge for defense/familiarity with staff.

Geo Soto: .219/.291/.381, 81 wRC+, 8.9 BB%, 24.5 K%

Flow Flow: .222/.281/.381, 82 wRC+, 5.9 BB%, 35.5 K%

The two drastic differences there are the walk and k rate, which I'm guessing means that Flowers BABIP has been 40 or so points higher than Soto's.

Strangely, I'm not sure how to look at guys' stats over a custom period of time.

EDIT: Figured it out -- Flowers = .315, Soto = .262

Here's a custom leaderboard comparing those two from 2012-2014 if anyone is interested: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...ayers=9134,3707

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
The two drastic differences there are the walk and k rate, which I'm guessing means that Flowers BABIP has been 40 or so points higher than Soto's.

Strangely, I'm not sure how to look at guys' stats over a custom period of time.

EDIT: Figured it out -- Flowers = .315, Soto = .262

Bah, I was all set to drop knowledge before I saw your edit, but I'm gonna do it anyway. For something like this during an offseason you can go to the Fangraphs leaderboards and select Past 3 Calendar Years as the split. For something a little less cut-and-dry you go into the player's game log, hit All Dates, and then customize the dates you want from there. The second way is easily one of my favorite features on the site.