Bullpen Depth/MI Depth

GGajewski18

Hahn stated at SoxFest that he is looking ideally for some bullpen depth and middle infield depth that can hit LHP.

Some bullpen names that could be good fits for the Sox are Mike Adams and Chad Billingsley.

Mike Adams fits what Hahn likes with the bullpen. Ground ball pitcher with high strike out rates. He has been injured the last couple years, but when healthy, he still has shown to be effective.

Chad Billingsley I think can be had on a minor league contract because he hasn't been healthy much of his career. But I think if he moves to the bullpen, cut down on innings, he can be a low risk, high reward type guy.

Infield depth:

Ricky Weeks. He only plays 2B but still well enough last year before Gennett took over his job. Depending on Sanchez or Micah winning the 2B job, I think he is less likely than the next name I'm about to give because Weeks is limited in the infield.

Everth Cabrera. Suspended last year because of steroids and I believe he got a DUI charge earlier this off season but he can play an effective SS and steal bases. And still better than Leury Garcia.

If any other names you guys can come up with please provide them. What you guys think of these names?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Hahn stated at SoxFest that he is looking ideally for some bullpen depth and middle infield depth that can hit LHP.

Some bullpen names that could be good fits for the Sox are Mike Adams and Chad Billingsley.

Mike Adams fits what Hahn likes with the bullpen. Ground ball pitcher with high strike out rates. He has been injured the last couple years, but when healthy, he still has shown to be effective.

Chad Billingsley I think can be had on a minor league contract because he hasn't been healthy much of his career. But I think if he moves to the bullpen, cut down on innings, he can be a low risk, high reward type guy.

Infield depth:

Ricky Weeks. He only plays 2B but still well enough last year before Gennett took over his job. Depending on Sanchez or Micah winning the 2B job, I think he is less likely than the next name I'm about to give because Weeks is limited in the infield.

Everth Cabrera. Suspended last year because of steroids and I believe he got a DUI charge earlier this off season but he can play an effective SS and steal bases. And still better than Leury Garcia.

If any other names you guys can come up with please provide them. What you guys think of these names?

The problem with Weeks is he only plays 2B and is about as good defensively as a typical Soxtalk poster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
I think the Sox are pretty deep in the pen myself. Though if you have deeper questions about Putnam and Petricka, that could change your opinion. I wonder if the Sox feel both of those guys are not pieces going forward.

They do have a lot of guys, but Hahn did specifically mention the bullpen. Maybe a piece or 2 is trade bait for an infielder.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
Righties

1. Robertson

2. Petricka

3. Putnam

4. Webb

5. Guerra

---------------

Jones - ASB return

Crain - should be healthy for ST

Cleto - sucks

Ynoa - too far off but on the 40

Montas - if they're being silly

Lefties

1. Duke

2. Jennings

----------------

Eric Surkamp

Onelki Garcia

I think they need a 4th outfielder. That doesn't seem to be talked about though.

If that's the bullpen they go into the season with, I won't be complaining.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)
Righties

1. Robertson

2. Petricka

3. Putnam

4. Webb

5. Guerra

---------------

Jones - ASB return

Cleto - sucks

Lefties

1. Duke

2. Jennings

----------------

Eric Surkamp

Onelki Garcia

I think they need a 4th outfielder. That doesn't seem to be talked about though.

thanks for the hard work.

I think Bonifacio and Viciedo may split the backup outfielder role with Bonifacio taking Eaton's off-days in center and Viciedo filling in for Melky and Avi.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
In my eyes that is a good bullpen.

i am in total agreement. i always thought this bullpen as assembled is pretty darn good. plus there is backup's ready to be further develop. i think this bullpen is ready for the upcoming season.

but maybe the FO is seeing something that i don't .....

now, beside my other spouting off on position, i can see a bigger need as an outfielder and another infielder. infielder being last.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I think Bonifacio and Viciedo may split the backup outfielder role with Bonifacio taking Eaton's off-days in center and Viciedo filling in for Melky and Avi.

This is what I thought too. Especially when Hahn said they want another infielder (though i still think Bonifacio platoons at third but plugs in the outfield when Gillaspie or backup are in).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
I think the Sox are pretty deep in the pen myself. Though if you have deeper questions about Putnam and Petricka, that could change your opinion. I wonder if the Sox feel both of those guys are not pieces going forward.

You've got all those guys like Ynoa, Webb and Sanburn on the outside looking in right now, not to mention the looming possibility of Montas or Danish in the 2nd half of the season.

Petricka's back to improving his slider so he will have three pitches to attack hitters with.

I think there has to be some internal concern that Putnam's a one-year wonder, but they have a lot of depth compared to a year ago.

Don't forget Nathan Jones as well.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
What happeneds to sanchez If Micah becomes the everyday second baseman?

They add an infielder: Saladino, Sanchez, or someone outside the org

and an outfielder: Shuck or someone outside the org. We could find that someone squeezed out of another team's roster is better than our current internal options for those bench roles.

edit: I missed where you wrote "to Sanchez." Tough to answer that question with Viciedo still here. They could use Sanchez as the main infield backup, Bonifacio as the main outfield backup. But I don't know if you really need Bonifacio and Sanchez.

Edited by Vance Law

Righties

1. Robertson

2. Petricka

3. Putnam

4. Webb

5. Guerra

---------------

Jones - ASB return

Cleto - sucks

Lefties

1. Duke

2. Jennings

----------------

Eric Surkamp

Onelki Garcia

Looks good on paper, but I still wouldn't mind an extra arm or two to stash in Charlotte. I agree with a lot of people on here that IF healthy, then the Sox are in a good position for the pen. But Jones and Crain are huge question marks. I love that the Sox brought in a guy like Crain, but realistically he's 33 and battling shoulder injuries. Who knows if either of them will even be able to be counted on this year. That leaves the Sox with a whole bunch of unproven/*meh* guys in Ynoa, Surkamp, Garica, and Cleto to fill in if someone gets hurt, or if Petricka and Putnam drop off from last year. The Knights still have a few guys in Doran and Kussmaul that could be cut for someone with potentially higher upside.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
If you can pick someone off late and cheap, you try it. If not, I am pretty happy with the pen we have now.

i still like the relief pen as it is, and the sox have backup ready to step in if injury happens. i like to have that surplus ready to step in if needed.

I'd like to see Mike Adams added. Look at the bullpen every year of what it starts off as and what it ends up as ... there is always so much turnover. Guys who you think will perform who don't. Injuries, etc.

54 Ronald Belisario

39 Maikel Cleto

37 Scott Downs

65 Nate Jones

27 Matt Lindstrom

55 Felipe Paulino

46 Donnie Veal

60 Daniel Webb

I know those guys didn't come up with nearly the same expectations - however its almost February - why not add a Mike Adams and a Billingsley and whoever else could be had on the cheap? They work out - great, if not, stick them in AAA or release them. Little risk, at least some reward.

In terms of 4OF guys like Moises Sierra come to mind. I think we can survive without injuries with Emilio being a super sub and playing CF and Dayan being a RF, LF, DH, 1B super sub once and a while.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
I'd like to see Mike Adams added. Look at the bullpen every year of what it starts off as and what it ends up as ... there is always so much turnover. Guys who you think will perform who don't. Injuries, etc.

54 Ronald Belisario

39 Maikel Cleto

37 Scott Downs

65 Nate Jones

27 Matt Lindstrom

55 Felipe Paulino

46 Donnie Veal

60 Daniel Webb

I know those guys didn't come up with nearly the same expectations - however its almost February - why not add a Mike Adams and a Billingsley and whoever else could be had on the cheap? They work out - great, if not, stick them in AAA or release them. Little risk, at least some reward.

In terms of 4OF guys like Moises Sierra come to mind. I think we can survive without injuries with Emilio being a super sub and playing CF and Dayan being a RF, LF, DH, 1B super sub once and a while.

as some has already pointed out to me.... the sox do not have the money, and have gone over their budget.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
as some has already pointed out to me.... the sox do not have the money, and have gone over their budget.

According to Rick Hahn, everytime he approached Jerry for money for a player, Jerry said yes.

The Sox have went over budget but it looks like Jerry is willing to go over budget to watch the Sox win before he kicks the bucket.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)

54 Ronald Belisario

39 Maikel Cleto

37 Scott Downs

65 Nate Jones

27 Matt Lindstrom

55 Felipe Paulino

46 Donnie Veal

60 Daniel Webb

We do have depth past that. We have Jesse Crain as a possibility, as well as the return of Nate Jones around the ASB. We also have some quality young arms that are probably going to Charlotte, such as Dan Webb and Surkamp. That doesn't include guys like Ynoa and Sanburn making a leap, or guys like Rodon and Montas would could start off in the pen some time this year if needed.