Bullpen Depth/MI Depth

GGajewski18

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
i will discuss the bolded. my beef about a startng sp of front end quality is well worn out.

the sox needs a pitcher, a pitcher who is better than Danks. someone who can be counted on in important games to be relied on if Sale gets hurt, or to spot start for Jeff S and Q. Rodon had not pitched 100 innings at a Major league level, how many innings are going to be trusted to him??

i will preach 1 thing i have always preach. do not depend on "what if" and "prospects" to produce as potential, not when the system is this thin and the ability to go far in the playoff.

John Danks actually pitched pretty well in "Important games", and I'm classifying important as games against playoff teams. In 71.2 innings against playoff teams he had a 3.01 ERA. 4-0 against division winners and the Royals

Danks was very Bulls like last year in that when he got lit up it was against really bad teams, and when he did well, it was against good teams.

I know Danks supporters are few and far between here, but as a 4th starter, throwing out the money, I think he'll be more than good enough. That becomes even more true if/when Rodon comes up and Danks would then be the 5th best starter on the team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
John Danks actually pitched pretty well in "Important games", and I'm classifying important as games against playoff teams. In 71.2 innings against playoff teams he had a 3.01 ERA. 4-0 against division winners and the Royals

Danks was very Bulls like last year in that when he got lit up it was against really bad teams, and when he did well, it was against good teams.

I know Danks supporters are few and far between here, but as a 4th starter, throwing out the money, I think he'll be more than good enough. That becomes even more true if/when Rodon comes up and Danks would then be the 5th best starter on the team.

don't get me wrong, i am a huge Danks fan and supporter. my point is he is still a question mark as a pitcher he once was. he is still a really nice 4/5 pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
I think I'm starting to like the idea of adding Joba Chamberlain to the bullpen.

He had an excellent first half of the season but really struggled in the 2nd half. During his off days, he was traveling back home to Nebraska to be with his ailing mom at the time, so you can say that could of affected him mentally.

Rosenthal also said that he has already turned down offers from teams he does not want to be apart of.

What you guys think?

I'm with Dick on him. I think we have as good if not better right now. Not a big fan of his but still wonder why Det. is not picking him back up.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
I'm with Dick on him. I think we have as good if not better right now. Not a big fan of his but still wonder why Det. is not picking him back up.

The other thing about him is he is still getting play like it is 2008. He really hasn't been any good longer than Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (HBaines03 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:36 PM)
I went thru and looked at all games we won where we had a 2 run lead or less going into the 7th inning. Here is our win breakdown by division:

AL East - 7

AL Central - 15

AL West - 6

NL East - 0

NL Central - 2

NL West - 2

What I would say is many of these games I would give more credit to our offense for these wins than I would our pitching. Think of it like KC last year. They have a 3-1 lead going into the 7th and the final would end up 3-1 or 4-1. The game was locked down by the bullpen. What I see many times from our bullpen was lead 2-0 going into the 7th, have the game tied in the 9th and win in the 10th 3-2. There were many games where we would have 6-2 or 7-2 leads going into the 7th and win 6-5 or 7-6. To many runs given up in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings regardless of wins or losses.

I'm with you on our bullpen woes, but I think (or hope) we've pretty much solved them this yr. We seem to have some depth in the minors as well. To be honest I liked our bullpen going into the season last yr. I really liked Beli...lol but...Also I think one of our biggest problems last yr. was almost none of our starters could make it past 5 innings. Which means we had to go to the bullpen much more often. If we had a bullpen like KC, no problem but we didn't. We've also added a bonafide closer this yr. which will shorten our games an inning. I'd still like to see us get a long man/spot starter to add to the bullpen, otherwise our bullpen looks as good as we'll get at this time. Starting pitching worries me, but other than Shields (who would cost to much) there's really nobody left on the FA list I'd be interested in and a trade's not something we have the depth to do. I'm hoping by mid season we'll know more what our needs will be and we can act then in one way or the other.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
I'm with you on our bullpen woes, but I think (or hope) we've pretty much solved them this yr. We seem to have some depth in the minors as well. To be honest I liked our bullpen going into the season last yr. I really liked Beli...lol but...Also I think one of our biggest problems last yr. was almost none of our starters could make it past 5 innings. Which means we had to go to the bullpen much more often. If we had a bullpen like KC, no problem but we didn't. We've also added a bonafide closer this yr. which will shorten our games an inning. I'd still like to see us get a long man/spot starter to add to the bullpen, otherwise our bullpen looks as good as we'll get at this time. Starting pitching worries me, but other than Shields (who would cost to much) there's really nobody left on the FA list I'd be interested in and a trade's not something we have the depth to do. I'm hoping by mid season we'll know more what our needs will be and we can act then in one way or the other.

I wonder how much our bullpen issues hurt the rest of the team. I'm sure our starting pitchers felt like they had to go deeper into games and added pressure to themselves to be make up for bullpen issues. Our offense could never feel comfortable even with 5-6 run leads late in games. I'm sure management went longer with starters than they wanted at times which could have contributed to fatigue issues.

You also wonder if Chris Sale could have won the CY Young award with a better bullpen to add a few more wins and keep ERA down lower. May have cost him some bonus money. I'm not saying the Sox have these issues but I could easily see locker room issues with starters getting on bullpen guys for blowing games they should have won.

QUOTE (HBaines03 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
You also wonder if Chris Sale could have won the CY Young award with a better bullpen to add a few more wins and keep ERA down lower. May have cost him some bonus money. I'm not saying the Sox have these issues but I could easily see locker room issues with starters getting on bullpen guys for blowing games they should have won.

No, Chris Sale did not lose the cy young award because of the bullpen. Chris Sale lost the Cy Young award in 2014 because he missed a month of the season. Per start he was the best pitcher, but people almost as good as him per pitch also threw 50+ more innings. That's huge, that's like 7 more 8 inning starts for those 3.

Re the pen, on the one hand we had several rookies out there and I'm optimistic they can improve. On the other hand, their K totals were low - all below 8 per 9 innings, with Webb the best of the bunch re Ks. In 2012, in contrast, we had 4 guys 8 and above. The guy we got from the Marlins has high K totals, but also a terrible WHIP. The Sox have also stocked up on these relievers with stuff, but who are flawed, hoping they can "Fix them." Should be good competition this spring.